quad bike tow coil

Go down

quad bike tow coil

Post by fencejumper on Wed 04 Apr 2012, 5:12 am

g'day all

got a bit of a problem with interferance from my quad...

now i know i should be dragging an anti interferance coil...but that would be too easy...
i got one of those 40x20 nugget finder mono's on a trolly, so i ripped the coil of the trolley and made up a
sled out of conveyer belt which works great until i turn the detector on.. affraid

i'm gunna try a couple of things,
one is to see what the auto elec has for the bike to reduce the out put of emi (without disconecting my electrics)
the second is to see if i can get an extension cord for the coil to have it further back.

i've tried it with my 5000 and my 2100 , it was not pretty with either.

so i thought you lot that are over in wa ripping out 100 and 200 oz nuggy's with your drag coils might have a few tips for a prictorian... Wink

cheers fencejumper
fencejumper

Back to top Go down

Re: quad bike tow coil

Post by Guest on Wed 04 Apr 2012, 6:07 am

Pretty much a lost cause running a big Mono behind any bike type, you may be able to suppress
some of the noise with an inline suppressor fitted to the coil lead but it will still be a noisy bugger.
Be careful not to run to long of an extension lead on the coil as it will throw the inductance out
which will also make the coil even more noisier, most extension leads are no longer than 2mtrs for
that reason....
On the bottom of ya conveyor rubber fit a 5mm piece of nylon sheet, skids over the ground better
and doesn't wear the rubber out as quick, also run your smallest coil over the rubber belt as some
have very fine steel reenforcing mesh built into it..

Good luck man, but i really think you will have major trubs shuttin it up.
As a last ditched effort you could try running some stick on Faraday shielding tape over the outer 100mm
top and bottom of the coils edge.

Pete Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by the speciman on Wed 04 Apr 2012, 7:40 am

YE GDAY FG
i dont use conveyer belt rubber shit i use 2mm canvas ye it wears out pretty quick but i dont pay for it and i know it has no deletorious materials with in!!!!!!!!!
the longer ya coil cable the louder and more interference ya will get but im no tech nerd by anybodies standards
go hard or go home
good scratchin
cheers the speciman

the speciman

Back to top Go down

Post by the speciman on Wed 04 Apr 2012, 7:48 am

GDAY FG
is ya quad intrinsicley wired??
good scratchin
cheers the speciman

the speciman

Back to top Go down

Post by fencejumper on Wed 04 Apr 2012, 6:11 pm

the speciman wrote:GDAY FG
is ya quad intrinsicley wired??
good scratchin
cheers the speciman

affraid affraid speciman mate your the second person this week to throw a big word at me....
and it has hurt my head both times... Razz
intr..intre.... intrins.. that word...
anyhow i reckon i can get it going without the elecs but i won't be able to turn it off( too hard to stall)

and the rest of ya's...thanks as well,you have pointed out some interesting stuff.
i'll scratch the idea of an extension for the coil and try that nylon under the rubber with a surpressa on the coil(bike coil) and see what happens.

i've seen surpressa's on the coil leads (detector) in america for there emi, might even try that too...

and if all that fails i'll just have to put it back on the trolly.....but without the bike it's gunna be hard to push the trolly and carry the esky.. Rolling Eyes

thanks again fellas.. cheers
cheers fencejumper
fencejumper

Back to top Go down

Post by rc62burke on Wed 04 Apr 2012, 7:38 pm

Hi FJ
Just thinking outside the box, instead of extending the coil cable why not extend the distance from the quad to the coil, maybe an outrigger of sorts to mount the control box further back then run the head phone or speaker forward, do some test's see how close you can get the coil to the bike before EMI, you may be able to use a combination of distance & shielding, try shielding the coil & the electrical sources, double up for a better description.
cheers
Lee
rc62burke

Back to top Go down

Post by fencejumper on Thu 05 Apr 2012, 1:28 am

thanks lee
looked at that option, was gunna attatch an enclose box on the front of the skid/con belt then put the control box in that. but having trouble making the headphones reach me, even if i have the battery half way..
talking to an auto elec tody and he told me to disconect one section of the elecs on the bike at a time to see what excactly is causing the most interfarance..
depending on where it is theres a couple of things to do,
one is a surpressa as suggested on here
the other is to disconect the alternater and just hook it back up now and then and give the bike a good run..
heading back out tommorow to do a bit more testing.

cheers for the help fellas..
fencejumper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 05 Apr 2012, 11:53 pm

FJ,

Speak to the tech that works at Bendigogold. They were instumental in developing the units for the Sudanese so they may have some answers.

Best of luck and stay off Navarres' plot :rolf: :rolf:

Robert

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 10 Apr 2012, 3:51 pm

just an idea

get a strong fishin rod-fibreglass and hang ya tector box of the end about 6' back and make up a longer speaker lead

duck tape the rod to the quad--this may work for u..

thinkin outside the square

regards

oneday69

Back to top Go down

Post by fencejumper on Wed 11 Apr 2012, 3:24 am

ok guys and gals
gave up trying to make the bike elecs quiet,

so i put a enclosed box on the the front of sled that house's the detector box and battery and run two headphone extensions to the quad.
the coil sits five meters back from quad then the detector box and battery sit about two meters (about the lengh of lead) in front of coil on sled then run the two headphone extensions joined together to me on the bike.

so she's ready to go....so when i get back i'll let ya's know if the set up is going in the fire or in the trophy room..

thanks heaps for all the help
cheers fencejumper
fencejumper

Back to top Go down

Post by Someday on Wed 11 Apr 2012, 3:29 am

Best of luck Fencejumper. At least now your got yu ducks talken turkey! Very Happy
Someday

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 11 Apr 2012, 4:03 am

SUFFERIN SUKATASH! I want royalties on this DUCK tape buddy Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by gcause on Wed 11 Apr 2012, 4:57 am

Check this setup out:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down

Post by fencejumper on Wed 11 Apr 2012, 5:23 am

gcause wrote:Check this setup out:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

g'day
seen that one and was a bit worried about the way the detector box is held out on that pole..(i would have put it higher)
i reckon if you go thru a creek or go up a bit of a rise the box would hit the ground when the front of the bike goes up the box on the back goes down... :?:

i went with conveyer belt connected with rope so i can cut thru creeks going from one flat to another and it all just follows the lay of the land and bends where it needs to...
fencejumper

Back to top Go down

Post by albo on Sat 18 Jan 2014, 6:54 am

fence jumper , I used black poly sheet , 10 mm[ take some spare for a long trip] & just sikaflexed my coil to it & used a 2inch poly- 2 metre long draw bar with a shielded coil extension cable back to the bike , 2200 machine . nothing fancy , threshold way back , suppression plug lead , manual switch for the bike alternator on off when needed to cut some noise but would pick up a 2 grammer easily on the surface at 10 km hour .
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by Hotrock on Wed 24 Jan 2018, 6:20 pm

This topic has always inerested me. What do you guys do once you get a signal? Get off and use another detector to pinpoint it? Ive thought of marking the spots with dyemark and once having several spots marked go and prove them up.

Hotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by Hotrock on Wed 24 Jan 2018, 6:22 pm

This topic has always inerested me.  What do you guys do once you get a signal?  Get off and use another detector to pinpoint it?  Ive thought of marking the spots with dyemark and once having several spots marked go and prove them up.

I have 400 hectares of quite flat ground to cover and this would be a good way of doing it.

Hotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by travelergold on Fri 26 Jan 2018, 2:21 am

Fencejumper, we towed a 40 x 20 coil behind a suzuki king quad , the coil also came with a trolley. The trick is to go out and run your bike then with your detector see how far away you can detect from it. We found with ours it was about 25 foot. We used coreflute (the plastic stuff real estate agents use for for sale signs) as a base to tow on as was very cheap and lasted quite a few km's. Watch conveyor belt as some has metal in it, do not know it that would affect it, depending if coil moves on it. We used more coreflute in front of coil setup and used an old lounge cushion attached on top with control box and battery mounted on top of that. The leading front edges we had black strapped up around some 90mm stormwater pipe so sheets rode over ground instead of digging in.the whole lot was towed by 1 inch poly pipe in a V then single length to the quad. We mounted poly at outside of coreflute in case we hooked a bush as it then pushed skid sideways to stop damage. That was the idea but we were conscious of that.
You will need a long extension lead for your headphones and we run that inside the poly pipe.
This worked well while our quad was running.   We went over pretty flat clear ground though, no scrub or rough stuff.  Good for patch finding in the areas we detected.
A tip with you coil, we found that if used with trolley, let air out of tyres if ground is rocky and it works a treat. The coil we had could pick up a staple even and to locate target we would work coil over it and find it on left hand side when you only get one signal instead of two as target is picked up when it passes under windings.
The largest we found was only 28 grams but that was at approx 16" deep. It picked up plenty point gram nuggets, we never found our lassiter ground with it but was a bloody good coil. Ended up selling it to a semi professional guy in the perth area. He was rapt with it. They just take up room and we never used it enough.
Hope you work your setup out and have some luck.

travelergold

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum