Its not all Beer and Skittles.....

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Its not all Beer and Skittles.....

Post by Guest on Fri 27 Apr 2012, 8:28 am

Gday People,
Most of the posts here are about the finds we make and not too many stories of the days we come up blank.
Anzac days have been kind to me in the past(.gold wise) so after a 2am start,I hit the diggings just before dawn.I faced the east and payed my respect to our fallen fathers and sons as the sun rose,as I always do.
I have to admit the day didnt start real well; no Coffee at Maccas,Sh!thouse out of order and Coffee machine getting fixed at the last Servo Rolling Eyes Maybe the Gold Gods were trying to warn me!
Crossing the river is always a fun thing,and left my thongs at home so those river rocks gave the feet a hiding. Lucky the water was real fresh,it numbed the legs just enough to kill a bit of the pain.
The diggings I was headed for have been kind in the past,giving up about 2-3 Oz to me in mainly bits over 1-2 grms. Plenty of targets around in the virginy ground adjacent to the diggings,so I knew I had to clean them up so see if they were hiding any secrets.
Started off at the top of a small Gully where the old timers had got fairly busy. They had surfaced the area and removed heaps of river wash sitting on the Slate,but left the ground above. It was special looking ground,the occasion round stone sitting on the surface,slate bedrock poking through here and there,it just had to have a few spare nuggets for me. The usual run of bullets and cases then got a sweet deep target in the pipe clay wash,not 20 mtrs from where I had previously scored a super smooth 9 grammer. Digging down,I had river wash and compacted white clay and I thought I was on.
Not to be,as it turned out to be a near perfect Muskat ball at 14 inches. :.7:How the Fark do they get down there?!
I started to swing the big 24 like a man posessed after that,thinking if everyone had missed that one,maybe there would be a couple left in the hot spots for the big coil. There were alot of bullets left on the diggings,and a crap job done by my mates as well cleaning them up.
I detected over to where a mate had got a 5grm bit sitting shallow,and he had left .22 projectiles all around it. What an Arsey barstard tongue
Went into overdrive and started digging all the usual sh!t after that,tacks,nails lead splatters,brass, I took no prisoners.
By 3pm I was flogged out and counted 127 targets in my trash bag. Thats gold detecting I guess.
Went home with my tail between my legs but I will be back for more.
Cheers,
Adam

Back to top Go down

Re: Its not all Beer and Skittles.....

Post by Guest on Fri 27 Apr 2012, 10:20 am

Top effort Adam

At least ya gave er a good floggin ay Very Happy
we all get skunked once in a while and it can sting a bit.
Man i bet ya was just a tad pissed when that bloody musket ball came out Evil or Very Mad
the countless hundreds i dug in Vic used ta do me head in when the gold was a bit thin,
thank got the old buggers had real bullets by the time they got over here.
Always next time mate & now ya scared the crap outta them big deep nuggets with ya 24"
they should surrender easier. Razz

Pete

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 28 Apr 2012, 7:25 am

Ahhhh Adam.

Good to see you're no different from the rest of us mate. fghghg

If it was easy, everyone woulkd be doing it tongue

Robert

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 28 Apr 2012, 6:11 pm

Yeah Pete,i reckon the 24 scared them big bits right back into the river,and they are headed for a deep
waterhole as we speak.

Rob,I have plenty of failures mate,its just the good days that keep me coming back.
Its fairly tough going up here in NSW,and anyone who tells you different is full
of shit. Wink

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum