2 Weeks in the bush.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

2 Weeks in the bush.

Post by rc62burke on Mon 30 Jul 2012, 9:06 am

Hi All I have just spent 2 weeks in the bush near Forsayth NQ, the weather was great & some fun was had. The first week I spent on my own at a spot I call BBQ Gully (aka source Gully) I had big plans of sluicing the wash in this gully as I have panned some coarse gold in it, last year at this time there was water at this spot but this year "Murphy" had different plans to mine as the gully was dry except for a small waterhole 400m away. I am tracking down the source of the gold entering this gully & last year traced it up a further 300m, recently I spoke to a guy who is a bit of a legend at finding the source up here, I showed him the gold & he told me that I had 2 sources by looking at the colour of the gold in my pan,some of the gold is your classic yellow gold colour (shed from further away spent more time in the watercourse) & is also worn, the other gold is much lighter in colour almost pearl colour & rough, he said this is the stuff I need to track. So going on that advice I did alot of sampling in this gully I started at the furthermost upstream point that I had gold from last year, & sure enough just the yellow stuff up there so I went back to the low end of the gully & got the pearlly stuff, so I worked in a bit of a yo yo fashion taking alternate samples at the upstream end then the the downstream end trying to isolate the pearl stuff to the point that it enters the gully, which I succeeded in doing 150m below the top end sample. The next plan was to start the "Loaming Proccess" at this point the gully runs North South, I chose the Eastern bank and went up the bank which is only about 5 deg slope that increases to 15 + deg further up, 4m from the gully I did my first pothole sample I got 4 tiny specks of gold in this sample.
This was my last day of the first week as we had club members coming to this property I had to move camp. In the days before I moved camp I did a bit of cross country exploring on the Quad that I had with me, the nuggets where proving hard to find but I managed to pick up 1 little one at .9g of a patch someone else had found that I stumbled onto. I also gave the sluice a bit of a run at the waterhole on my BBQ Gully as I had the quad I decided to cart some dirt to the sluice not ideal but I got gold, Just can't wait till there is enough water there to give a good clean out,as you can see in the pic's the first time I carted the dirt I shovelled it straight in the tubs without classifying, the second time I classified it to 12mm which allowed me to be more productive, in total I moved about .2 of a cubic m, the sluice worked great and 98% of what I recoverd in it was in the top tray with a few specks in the rest. Had some good laughs, with Digginerup from here & was able to put a club member onto their first nugget so all in all was a good trip. Good weather good company & time in the bush with a little gold to control the fever. The last day of the trip I decided to head back to BBQ gully to do a couple of loaming samples & bring some dirt home so I can teach my Kids to pan. The 1st sample (which is actually the 2nd in this proccess) showed 12 specks, then next sample showed 22 specks some of which are 1mm +, so things are looking good. Cheers Lee
rc62burke

Back to top Go down

Re: 2 Weeks in the bush.

Post by Guest on Mon 30 Jul 2012, 9:34 am

Great report Lee, glad you had a bangup time out there mate.
Gee that prospect is sounding very promising ay, keep on it mate Wink

Pete Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by K town swinger on Mon 30 Jul 2012, 10:47 am

Great report mate.The old 4 b looks like a ready made gold finding machine loaded up like that. hjjo

K town swinger

Back to top Go down

Post by rc62burke on Wed 01 Aug 2012, 7:27 am

Hi Pete
Yeah I had some fun, I think this prospect is showing real promise I guess only time & work will tell the whole story.
Ktown, I love my old ute.
cheers
Lee
rc62burke

Back to top Go down

Post by snapper on Wed 01 Aug 2012, 9:22 am

g,day Lee, looks like you've got a great set up there for prospecting but when ya come over here ya might not need the sluice lol!
snapper

Back to top Go down

Post by rc62burke on Wed 01 Aug 2012, 10:29 am

Hey Snapper
Yeah mate no sluice next year but the plan is to make a dryblower to bring over.
cheers
Lee
rc62burke

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 17 Aug 2012, 11:37 am

yeah....about making a dry blower......i had to make 12 of them beforei came up with a working system.......cost me heaps and took ages.......but in the end ...my design is a winnerand very proud of it....yyyyyeeeehhhhhaaaaa

Back to top Go down

Post by yella stuff on Tue 28 Aug 2012, 9:51 pm

Nice bike Lee, I'm jealous of all quad owners-the ball on my chain is too heavy at present. off on a trip soon need big yella to jump out wegr .

yella stuff

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum