Nullagine here I come--Trip #3--photos added.

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Nullagine here I come--Trip #3--photos added.

Post by Guest on Tue 16 Jul 2013, 7:07 pm

First topic message reminder :

stuff it --thought i'd head for Nullagine for a week and see what I can dig up.
heard on the grape vine that a lot of area has been torched again so will give the clear country a bit of a hit.

If there are any strays out there lookin to tag along then will b in the caravan park Wednesday (17-7)  night to head out Thursday morning

just look for the rego of my vehicle and u will find me somewhere around.
So catch u all next week sometime.

regards
oneday

Last edited by oneday monday on Sun 21 Jul 2013, 12:26 pm; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Re: Nullagine here I come--Trip #3--photos added.

Post by picknshovel on Sun 21 Jul 2013, 7:59 pm

yeah, never can tell with joe blake.

a mate got hit in the calf muscle by an eastern brown, said it was like being stabbed with big sharp needles and packed a punch too, tied his t-shirt around it and quietly walked back home about 15 min walk, lucky thr was a medical centre a few doors from his place so strolled in, feelin a bit strange by now, Doc said u would of had about 15 more mins to live. reakons its the antivenom they give ya makes ya crook as hell. Took him about 2 weeks to come good.
picknshovel

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs on Sun 21 Jul 2013, 8:23 pm

picknshovel wrote:Cheers for the pic's oneday, checked up on that joe blakey and got one of the kids to go find one for ya. Suspect 
He was probably cold and wind chilled too and wanted a cuddle to warm up, would of kept u warm in bed at least.Very Happy 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

pays to get to know ya snakey's cos the wrong antivenom can make ya awful sick, heres a bunch from up ur way.

#4@..http://www.canetoads.com.au/snakes.htm

cheers; picknshovel.

Sorry, I hate snakes.  I Don't care what they are, I hate the buggers.  Razz

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sporaticus on Sun 21 Jul 2013, 10:19 pm

Black headed python Ray, harmless, cold, alone and looking for a mate. Probably only wanted a cuddle, Very Happy 

Back to top Go down

Post by Stingray on Wed 24 Jul 2013, 9:56 pm

I can vouch for the fact that it was cold and wet. Recently back from a 4 week trip thereabouts - one week totally washed out. Did manage to speck a doz or so bits for 0.5 gram one rainy day from a spot a mate dry blowed years ago (all in about 1m2) - also an interesting specie about an inch square with a contact edge that looks like it has been splattered with gold paint. Looks neat under a magnifying glass.

After all the main rain had finished and things dried I headed bush again. Camped in a scraped gully for a few days, with the classic little creek in the middle. Little washaway running diagonally under my tarp/awning from the car to the creek. Fireplace in another. One evening when I was starting to get my grub together I had a thunderstorm over me and it bucketed down and within minutes watched the place fill up, all the rivulets and everything started flowing. Had little waterfalls in the creek that was now running under my tarp. The tarp hadn't seen water for a long time and I quickly found out it may be good for shade but for water I would have been better to use shade cloth. New tarp is on the list.

Very interesting though to see the place look like the Kimberley in the wet. I was crouched down just looking at the water flowing through my little creek (and to see if I could speck anything) and this rock just slips away and moves about 30 cm. This is a tiny bit of running water less than a foot wide and an inch or two deep I guess. Helps understand how rocks, and obviously gold, moves around such an arid landscape.

Did OK gold wise considering - mainly very tiny bits - biggest was about 4g - and from a spot where I pretty much found my first gold in 1984 with an A2B. I hadn't been back to that spot in all that time and it seems like no one had sussed it in the intervening 30 years as I got a few bits there and they were all loud and clear signals - I reckon 95% of the others were all whispers.

Spent my 54th birthday out there and got 14 little pressies to dig up that day for about 4g which was neat. I had found a patch of littlies the previous day and got 24 or so for about 11g which was my best day weight-wise by far so I was pretty sure my birthday would be good.

To sum up - yep there is still gold there but it is pretty hard work on the known areas - and if you only go looking for big ones - good luck! Before I forget - be real real careful after persistent rain if you go bush out that way. Heard of one bloke that took a chance and ended up with his doors in the mud. Like me he was by himself but lucky he had a winch. Maybe another thing for the list...

Cheers
Stingray

Stingray

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying kiwi on Thu 25 Jul 2013, 5:23 am

welcome aboard stingray sounds like a good trip what was the telly all up for the trip? good to hear no one has cleaned your spot out in the past 30 years!!

cheers Tom

Flying kiwi

Back to top Go down

Post by Stingray on Thu 25 Jul 2013, 4:11 pm

Hi Tom, my tally all up for about 2 1/2 weeks of solid detecting a few of the more remote patches that are known to the old crew - around 60g with a few small species - i'm calling it 2 oz! Mainly very tiny bits and very very faint signals - probably 150 or so. I firmly believe that if you detect to find those little bits then the big bits will look after themselves - but it doesn't work the other way around!. I did spend a few days true 'prospecting' but got zip for that and being by myself and on a holiday I decided to concentrate in areas where I knew there had to be gold and accept that getting a bit of any size was not that likely. I was quite happy to find a little bit or two each day and the occasion mini patch.

Nullagine/ Marble Bar can be pretty fickle though - and a lot of people come away disappointed. It has certainly received some attention over recent times and as I said before most of the 'easy' gold is gone. In my opinion looking for new patches is a lot harder work (physically and mentally) than down south - not saying there is more gold here or there - just that it is harder work.

Last year I was on my way south and had to pull over about 15 times for oversize vehicles (haul packs and the like). One time pulled over north of Meeka and saw there was some nice looking wash at the side of the road. I still had the detector set up so thought I'd have a swing for 10 mins or so. I switched on and got the beep beep of a bloody electric fence, trucks were going past non-stop, then some tourist stopped to ask what i was doing, ring pulls, cans and other raodside crap - this was all in the first five minutes. I thought this is rediculous, stuff it I'll go. As I walked to the car I thought I'd just swing over that bit of wash which is why I stopped in the first place. You can guess what happened next - a 1 grammer, I couldn't beleive it but I had to go so switched off and left. Obviously spent a lot of time thinking about it and doing homework over the next year. In case you're wondering I spent 1/2 day there on the way up and way back this year and got nothing! Just goes to show...

Cheers
Ray

Stingray

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying kiwi on Fri 26 Jul 2013, 5:20 am

the old one peice patch got to hate that!!

Flying kiwi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 26 Jul 2013, 10:02 am

Struth ~!" Ya had me going with the pictures of the 4-5 ft Joe blake ........L@@Ked very Tiger like. & the lovely girl holding the python at the end of the pictures ........gave me a fright. Beautiful country ...too bad Google does not make it look that good & maybe not.. there would be more Tourists eh. I did a Year in Alice springs on exploratory oil rig back in the 80's & we were about 150klm West of Alice ........Dunes & no surf ~!~ .

Back to top Go down

Post by Stingray on Fri 26 Jul 2013, 8:58 pm

Thats right Kiwi, the one piece patch - makes you wonder about emus doesn't it! Hey Matthew (crystalline) I see you are into space junk (from your intro) - you might be interested in this story which links Nullagine and space junk - and one off finds!

Years ago I was up at Nullagine and I was at a friend of a friend's place. I didn't know the guy - just met him at the time (he was a really great bloke as I got to find out). I was there because he had some good gear for crushing stone and we had 54kg of real rich stone (another story). Anyway, we were having a break and sitting down having lunch and he told me this:

He said "I was out prospecting and just driving across country when I saw this section of busted up vegetation and a sort of track, so I drove over there. It was like a long scrape so I drove along it and at the end I saw this shiny metal thing. It was round with what looked like russian writing on it". I said 'your kidding, that's amazing - ". With that he says "yeah, its over here, I'll go get it".

It was a long time ago and my memory is a little hazy but I seem to remember that he came out of a room and sort of rolled it along on the floor over to me. I couldn't beleive it. It was a bit bigger than a 9kg gas bottle, basically a sphere. I distinctly remember seeing CCCP on it and there was this burn mark like you had put an oxy on it and melted through - about 3 or 4 square inches - this was presumably the re-entry burn. The rest of the thing was all intact.

I found out later that someone had researched it and it turrned out to be a gas thruster on a russian satellite. It is basically high pressure gas and a little 'pssst' in space means you can turn it etc. Anyway, pretty amazing find. From memory I think he swapped it for a portable rock drill - and it was later sold for some hundreds of thousands at auction....

It seems like you were auctioning your finds - how did you go?

Stingray

Stingray

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 27 Jul 2013, 6:51 am

G'Day Stingray ! ........Lucas I prefer to M@tt.

Yeah sure is interesting whats out there IF ya know where to Look and what for ?.
As you know the topography of Ozi is way too vast to stumble over many of these valuables.
I live in Japan watched the Low Orbit Chinese Spy satellite Story unfold from the Press perspective s with keen interest as it was on the news here almost every day. Right up until about a Month prior to the Chinese satellite being so Low in orbit it was going to fall back to Earth as it was Above Japan all those Electronics could be exposed to U.S.A intelligence ( * I seriously Doubt their IQ ability after making Threats in the press about Lookers searching for Wreckage ; that galled me no end ). Japan was p*ssed off at China old Bad Blood. By now the Press were reporting all manner of stories like the satellite was the size of a Bus & could fall on Tokyo .......I kid you not thats what was written in newspapers. So you can imagine the Hysteria in Japan was running High. China was in a quandary over How to shoot down this satellite as it did not want Evidence of its spying found on the ground after the satellite fell onto Japan. America being the Biggest bull* Artists on the planet later so their Military could get Billions more from Congress stated the Chinese had developed a Anti-satellite missile & Kill vehicle blah blah blah ~ ......2007 China had Limited access to taking out their satellite very Limited to really only one option .......an ICBM & thats what they used a HN-3 Missile after disarming it as they could not afford a nuclear explosion in Space Directly Above Japan. Wikipedia explains How the HN-3 missile came about being built by ex cold war Russian technicians in China ( Bit Naughty of the Chinese to be making Nukes with only Russian writing on them was my thoughts ). Once I got Hard details of the Satellite orbit & trajectory of the Rocket that knocked it down ( a missile once disarmed is technically no longer a missile & reverts back to being a Rocket hence no $ for U.S military to Con Congress out of with lies about Chinese Sophisticated Weapons in space etc etc ) I then sought some advice and did some Long math and came up with a grid for the largest piece of debris to HIT. Re did the Math over & over again & then read the U.S.A military predicted wreckage to HIT 575 klm North of my estimation. I graduated with an A & B in math so figured I must be fairly close I guessed my estimations to be better than the U.S.A military that was Way up in The Sea Of Okhotsk. Within 35 minutes of diving I was on top of the wreckage in shallow water. I sell in many places as I am also in the antique trade & have been for 18 years exporting around the globe..........some well known auctions & some not so well known direct to museums on occasion & private collectors. Right now the entire collector market is Flat lined outside of China .....Gold nuggets are still Selling well at auction in America to Nugget collectors with Deep pockets.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 28 Jul 2013, 3:44 pm

if u fellas want to rant about some other topic--then start your own or I will delete them..

I haven't talked about satellites, auctions, US military--and personally don't give a rats about them

Stay on the subject matter and don't hijack the thread.

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by bluedog on Sun 28 Jul 2013, 4:01 pm

thank god for that Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy 
cheers bluedog

bluedog

Back to top Go down

Post by matelot on Sun 28 Jul 2013, 4:59 pm

Well said, MONDAY pirat 

matelot

Back to top Go down

Post by Stingray on Sun 28 Jul 2013, 8:44 pm

Sorry Monday, my fault. I'm new to this.

Stingray

Stingray

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 28 Jul 2013, 8:50 pm

no problem --we usually kick u in the head and that's the end of it but did notice u were new chums getting all excited..

no problems with starting new topics and keep it close to the subject..

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum