re engine a tojo or patrol ute with a cummins

View previous topic View next topic Go down

re engine a tojo or patrol ute with a cummins

Post by albo on Tue 03 Dec 2013, 4:23 pm

Just wondering if anyone out there has fitted a cummins to their Nissan patrol as in 6bt or 4 bt , done in the us . The chev duramax kits are common here ,not interested in that tho , just checkin , albo.
albo

Back to top Go down

Re: re engine a tojo or patrol ute with a cummins

Post by boobook on Wed 04 Dec 2013, 4:48 am

What about an Isuzu BD1T.
Plenty of torque/kw.s, and it wont wear out.
I think its the one used in the Army 6x6 L/R Perentie?
Mike
boobook

Back to top Go down

Post by albo on Wed 04 Dec 2013, 6:15 pm

yep good too ,its finding some one that's done it , adaptor plates etc ... I just like those cummins , fuel economy , cheap parts , easy to work on etc.
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 06 Dec 2013, 5:16 am

Join up and ask the questions on this forum

http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum

Robert

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar on Fri 06 Dec 2013, 7:26 am

My little truck when she was clean.
Flash doesn't seem to work?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by Bignuggs on Fri 06 Dec 2013, 8:35 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Added link)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

"Aging seems to be the only available way to live a long life."

Nightjar

Back to top Go down

Post by albo on Fri 06 Dec 2013, 9:38 am

Cheers Robert , I havnt seen that one . lots of checking il do there .
Thanks peter also , the chev sounds great , but iv heard mixed reports , expensive , overheating etc .
I like my Nissan coil cab ute & iv had a fair bit to do with the cummins 4bt , 6bt & I was mainly interested if someone out there fitted a 4 bt , would make the perfect bush ute , cheap fuel ,easy riding . cheers albo
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by Topcat on Fri 06 Dec 2013, 7:31 pm

I've had a chevvy 6.5 normally aspirated diesel in my 75 series Troopy for 15 years now & it has never missed a beat. Fitted with a triple bi-pass radiator have travelled through some rugged remote areas of Australia in the middle of summer periods & never had overheating problems.
It was one of the first fitted by Brunswick Diesels & at that time was cheaper then fitting a recon long motor to replace the existing 1HZ which had cylinder wear problems.
I do agree that they are expensive to fit these days!!!!!!!

Cheers

Ted

Ted

Topcat

Back to top Go down

Post by albo on Sat 07 Dec 2013, 9:18 am

Thanks Ted , just toying ideas , id love to treat my ol faithful patrol coil cab ute a 4 bt cummins mate , I love it New vehicles these days involves too much electronics which is ok for city people , but im old skool ,always will be ...Never been towed home , always sorted myself out of trouble , If you upgrade to the electronic stuff I feel a loss of independence , imagine out the back of shts ville & your fuel tank gets a gut full of water in the fuel , are & the story can go down hil fast from there !
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by Topcat on Sat 07 Dec 2013, 9:35 am

Hi Albo,
Thats what I like about the chevvy. No fancy electronics when something goes wrong.
I have heard of a few people putting Perkins diesels in their 4B's similar to the ones fitted in the early model Okkas but don't have any details of how they went.

Cheers

Ted

Ted

Topcat

Back to top Go down

Post by albo on Sat 07 Dec 2013, 9:44 am

Cheers Tomcat , the only ones Iv heard of in west oz were the Bantick brothers that did some cummins conversions in Kal but theve moved to Perth & there phone number doesn't work any more ,thanks anyhow mate ,albo.
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by Topcat on Sat 07 Dec 2013, 10:11 am

Hi Albo,

Have a look at this topic..some interesting reading:

Cheers

Ted

Ted

Topcat

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneybox on Sun 30 Nov 2014, 2:10 pm

I've been the AM General warranty agent for the original Hummer since 1996. The Hummer engine (GM 6.5L) is very reliable. The NA engine is really noisy but totally trouble free. The only warranty problems in all these years relate to an overloaded oil pressure switch that fails after time. I have a very quick, cheap and easy fix for it but when it worked into sales I didn't fix too many. The problem is that the oil pressure switch supplies the power to run the fuel lift pump and the fuel changeover valve and it simply fails after too much work. When the oil pressure switch fails there's no lift pump and the engine stalls intermittently. It already has a fuel pump relay but it is only triggered while cranking to start. The easy fix is to trigger the relay with the power supplied from the oil pressure switch. It needs a diode as well but the stalling problem is cured for life.

The turbo engine has pump problems. The only fix needed is to do away with the electronic fuel pump and crank up the manual pump that's fitted to the NA engine.

I wouldn't suggest buying a Brunswick Diesel as many of these are rebuilt on the cheap locally and they are simply not worth it. These engines are not expensive brand new and there is a good supplier in Victoria. We've supplied these new with better than 300hp coupled to the 5 or 6 speed Allison transmission. I've never see one broken.

Overheating is only a problem because people expect the cooling system from a 4L to cool the 6.5. It's simply too small.

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum