216g specimen

View previous topic View next topic Go down

216g specimen

Post by skaufman on Wed 04 Jan 2012, 8:05 pm

Hi all, found this on new years eve as an end to 2011.

Specific gravity test gives it between 40 and 56g of gold (or down to 7g) depending on the calculation i used...

Time will tell as it is being dollied on saturday.

skaufman

Back to top Go down

Re: 216g specimen

Post by keating.gold on Wed 04 Jan 2012, 8:31 pm

Thats a real nice specimen you got skaufman almost a shame to dolly it. still golds gold no matter what shape or form well done.
keating.gold

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs on Wed 04 Jan 2012, 8:38 pm

Very nice. its a shame ya have to break it up but ya gotta get the gold. Lets us know how much comes out.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Great find

Post by twa on Wed 04 Jan 2012, 11:34 pm

I love species, more so when you crush them to find out exactly whats inside.
The one I found this year was weighed roughly by water displacement and I estimated that there was about 7.3 ounces inside.
Later when I got home I thought about this as it didn't look like it would hold this amount so I surfed the web for specific gravity test and it's formula.
When applied it came out as 7.2 ounces were inside.
So I dollied this specie that turned out with a large piece within with some smaller chunks the weighed in at 6.65 ounces. I then retreived the fines from the sands with murcury that when retorted and made into a button weighing in at 47 grams. Total being 7.12 ounces.

Last edited by twa on Thu 05 Jan 2012, 1:46 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : To include image)

twa

Back to top Go down

Post by Goldbait on Thu 05 Jan 2012, 9:41 am

i don't know why you would dolly specimens as good as those.
Goldbait

Back to top Go down

Post by twa on Thu 05 Jan 2012, 10:26 am

G’day Goldbait, well may you ask but the truth be known that previously when trying to sell specimens they query as to how much gold that is inside and are reluctant to pay gold price alone, I know as one specie that weighed just over 1 kilo no one was interested. So I crushed that one also where I got 14.32 ounces out of it that was then poured into a bar. ( That bar sure looks good compared to a specie, the bar can be sold at any time with none of the hassels.
Cheers,
twa

twa

Back to top Go down

Post by Goldbait on Thu 05 Jan 2012, 10:31 am

please don't misunderstand me and you certainly raise a good point about some specimen's. i was merely commenting on the ones posted in this thread. i guess it's just me and my love for specimens, i hate seeing nice ones crushed.
Goldbait

Back to top Go down

Post by twa on Thu 05 Jan 2012, 10:58 am

G'day Goldbait, I replied as it seemed like a question to me and it deserved an answer, but believe me I don't like crushing good specimes either but there a limit as to how many specimens you save with out the risk of them becoming stolen or lost. There would be nothing nicer than to have the species displayed to show to all but then the word gets out sooner or later then you have to deal with other problems.

Cheers,

twa

twa

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 05 Jan 2012, 12:02 pm

Very very nice rocks there TWA.

I'm with you mate, smash em and cash em Very Happy

In all my years chasing the heavy banana i've hardly found any Qrtz Species but i find lots
of Species in iron Twisted Evil anyone would think there's no qrtz where i go.

Its a weird thing ay, i either get rock free nuggets or iron species

Pete

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum