Quads versus Motorbikes

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Quads versus Motorbikes

Post by Guest on Wed 25 Jun 2014, 6:09 am

Just wondering who uses a motorbike or a quad bike in the bush, and how they would rate one over the other?, I use a posty bike and have found it very suitable, reliable and cheap to run, that's the upside but the downside is that unless you watch the track and keep your wits about you will end up coming off. affraid 

Over the period of a couple of weeks using it everyday the fuel consumption of the posty bike is about ten litres, having never used a quad in the bush myself I cant comment so looking for some further feedback but others blokes tell me that they use a fair bit of fuel, I built a swing down rack for the posty bike, fits into the reece hitch to carry it so I don't have to drag a trailer, it works a treat but the downside is that you either have to take the bike off to get into the back of the troopy as its set up as a camper or climb in through the drivers door.

I think its a worthwhile set up and can really increase your finds as you are not restricted to spots within walking distance, and its great at the end of the day when you don't have to walk back to camp cheers  drunken 

au-fever

Back to top Go down

Re: Quads versus Motorbikes

Post by snapper on Sat 28 Jun 2014, 6:26 pm

In my opinion a 2 wheeler just doesn't stack up against a quad.
These are some pics of Nosralt and myself.
These quads are 550 Polaris's and can get a bit heavy on juice as their autos but I had a 250 Honda and it also pulled a trailer and was very cheap to run.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
snapper

Back to top Go down

Post by pilbara snapper on Sun 29 Jun 2014, 7:55 am

Great setup there snapper,the ultimate prospecting rig !
How did you get the quad and trailer to the goldfields or do you live in the bush ?

pilbara snapper

Back to top Go down

Post by snapper on Sun 29 Jun 2014, 8:24 am

Hi PS, these quads and trailers are owned by quad bike tours run out of Laverton, below was my quad and trailer, I did live in the bush out there for 18 months but am now back in Vic.

snapper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 30 Jun 2014, 3:07 am

Thanks for the replies and the pics snapper, I thought the quad and trailer set ups looked familiar, must have seen them in one of the ads for quad bike tours, great set up if you were planning to just trip out from town, but all I was referring to really was a means of getting about on a daily basis if you were just camped up with your vehicle and wanted a means of covering a bit more ground than you could normally do on foot.

When I was thinking more seriously about getting a quad I did in fact settle on the idea of the 250 Honda, and as you said they are pretty good fuel wise, my mates got a 4wd auto quad and he reckons its thirsty, I cant see the point in driving something around that will use almost as much fuel as your 4wd would, but another thing I noticed about quads is that if you are camped up for any length of time and trekking to and fro from camp every day the tracks left by quads are very obvious, so if you were wanting to keep your area of interest to yourself, specially if you were on to a patch then you would have to be careful to access the spot from different directions as you work it.

Another thing I noticed was that I could hear the other blokes bashing about on the quads from miles away, but they reckoned that they couldn't hear me coming on the posty bike until I was right on to them, but anyway either method has its merits and its upsides and downsides but at the end of the day I still reckon that it hugely increases your chances of getting on to a patch just by the fact you can spend more time detecting spots of interest further away from your camp than you would otherwise.

au-fever

Back to top Go down

Post by Gasgoyne on Mon 30 Jun 2014, 12:38 pm

Quads tend to get more punctures in my opinion and can be heard for miles. They are also a lot more expensive and they do leave tracks.

The most painful thing about quads though is transporting them. They are on a trailer which drops your spend down to 100km/hr and increases your fuel consumption.

The advantage is that you can go over rough ground with ease.

Gasgoyne

Back to top Go down

Post by snapper on Mon 30 Jun 2014, 1:37 pm

Also the carrying ability of a quad on its own is a lot better that a bike, they are also more comfortable, its very easy to see 2 wheel bike tracks as well, and when heading out to a patch I mostly never rode over yesterdays tracks.
If I had tore around the WA outback on a bike like I could do on the quad I would have come off a dozen times.
Yes the only drawback using a quad is you will need a trailer big enough to cart it, unless you live out bush full time.
snapper

Back to top Go down

Post by NuggieDreamer on Tue 01 Jul 2014, 3:23 am

biased by an old hard core dirt biker ...

Quad Negatives
A quad is SLOW
A quad has SAD ground clearance
A quad is not easily transported without extra room on the ute, needing a trailer, so how do you bring the camper without some exotic set-up?
A quad is OVER PRICED (some new quads now out price a Brand New Toyota Hilux Ute!)  
A quad is too heavy to push by hand when out of fuel
A quad is a mongrel to maintain CV belts, suspension linkages break hitting grass trees/rocks etc.
A quad is supposed to be transported on public roads and are not road-registrable
A quad can make a prospector act like a lazy golfer with his electric golf cart doing more driving than swinging time missing walked over gold.
A quad gives the rider a false sense of security and people often opt to not wear a helmet to their detriment.

Bike/4WD combo Advantages
A registered bike can be ridden on public roads and has public liability insurance.
A bike generally is FASTER than a quad is EVERY aspect; (NEVER seen a quad win Dakar yet over a bike)
A bike is an quick and easy way to scope an area to mark GPS points to prospect later with a 4WD loaded with ALL your wares, on short weekend trips expecially.
A bike has better suspension and has lighter steering than a quad.
A bike is more agile can can be ridden anywhere depending on rider skill, on the steepest, narrowest kangaroo/goat tracks, go through deeper creeks and be easily manoeuvred between rocks than quads.
A bike takes up less room to pack. (even can be easily disassembled to take less room)
A bike can be ridden with a flat tyre or pushed when out of fuel or easily push-started when it has a flat battery.
My 600cc bike gets about 100km on 8 litres taking it easy and about 80km on the blast.

...and real reason, you wouldn't see me on a quad, THEY DON"T IMPRESS CHICKS!

Last edited by NuggieDreamer on Tue 01 Jul 2014, 4:31 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : typo's)
NuggieDreamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 01 Jul 2014, 3:42 am

NuggieDreamer wrote:biased by an old hard core dirt biker ...

Quad Negatives
A quad is SLOW
A quad is not easily transported without extra room on the ute, needing a trailer, so how do you bring the camper without some exotic set-up?
A quad is OVER PRICED (some new quads now out price a Brand New Toyota Hilux Ute!)  
A quad is a mongrel to maintain CV belts, suspension linkages brake hitting grass trees etc.
A quad is supposed to be transported on public roads and are not road-registrable
A quad can make a prospector act like a lazy golfer with his electric golf cart doing more driving than swinging time missing walked over gold.
A quad gives the rider a false sense of security and people often opt to not wear a helmet to there detriment.

A registered bike can be ridden on public roads and has public liability insurance.
A bike generally is FASTER than a quad; (will get to the gold 1st - NEVER seen a quad win Dakar)
A bike is an easy way to scope an area to mark GPS points to prospect later with a 4WD loaded with ALL your wares.
A bike is more agile can can be ridden anywhere, on the narrowest kangaroo/goat tracks and through deeper creeks and manoeuvre between rocks than quads
A bike takes up less room to pack. (even can be easily disassembled to take less room)
A bike can be ridden with a flat tyre or pushed when out of fuel or easily push-started when it has a flat battery.

Thanks for the input NuggieDreamer, guess I am pretty much of the same opinion, and I have definitely taken the posty bike through some spots a quad would have to go round which is a bonus, a mate uses a Honda 70 and this tiny little dirt bike and he puts in the back of the car between the front and rear seats, easy to carry and cheap to run but he goes all over the place on it. cheers 

I built a swing down carry rack that goes on the reese hitch of the troopy so don't need a trailer, one of the other considerations is that the quad has more tyres to worry about, and a trailer a couple more, and tyres are always an issue in the bush, by the way I have nearly cleaned up two quad bike riders in the bush that were fairly flying around, they would be no match for a bull bar of the troopy but they would definitely flatten out a posty bike and old fart if I were to get in the way.  

au-fever

Back to top Go down

Post by NuggieDreamer on Tue 01 Jul 2014, 4:12 am

AF

Postie Bikes... aren't they just indestructible and brought rise to the pit bike revolution Worldwide.
I've even read about gangs of Dirt Riders adventure tour Old 90cc Postie Cub Honda's across Australia!

My bike, a KTM 600cc trailbike isn't as easy to strap on the Hilux as a small Honda, but I gets it out every now and then.
My plan is to do reconnaissance runs on it and not waste time during short weekend detecting trips. If I pull off the handle Bars, Swing Arm and Forks it should slide on between the toolboxes under the canopy or I may go the Reece Hitch Bike-Carrier option too.  

ND
NuggieDreamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Waypoint on Tue 01 Jul 2014, 7:58 am

There is nothing more satisfying then finding a patch that some one has recently ridden over and it has happened to me more then once. I use a ct200 so the bikes have my vote.

Waypoint.
Waypoint

Back to top Go down

Post by snapper on Tue 01 Jul 2014, 8:43 am

NuggieDreamer wrote:biased by an old hard core dirt biker ...

Quad Negatives
A quad is SLOW
A quad is a mongrel to maintain CV belts, suspension linkages break hitting grass trees/rocks etc.
A quad gives the rider a false sense of security and people often opt to not wear a helmet to their detriment.

A bike generally is FASTER than a quad is EVERY aspect; (NEVER seen a quad win Dakar yet over a bike)
A bike is an quick and easy way to scope an area to mark GPS points to prospect later with a 4WD loaded with ALL your wares, on short weekend trips expecially.
A bike has better suspension and has lighter steering than a quad.
A bike is more agile can can be ridden anywhere depending on rider skill, on the steepest, narrowest kangaroo/goat tracks, go through deeper creeks and be easily manoeuvred between rocks than quads.
My 600cc bike gets about 100km on 8 litres taking it easy and about 80km on the blast.

1, A postie bike would not keep up with a 500 quad out bush.
2, A polaris has 400mm ground clearance ,, how much do you want.
3, I have a Toyota campervan so I can pull a trailer,
4, A brand new 500cc Quad is around $12000, try buying a new Hilux with that,
5, A quad can carry extra fuel if needed, jerry cans,
6, Normal service is all I ever had to do, and underneath can be completely protected,
7, Maybe not road registed but bugger all roads out bush,
8, So do you swing your detector while riding,
9, some people can't ride chook chasers where everybody can ride a quad,

1, who needs a 4wd when you have a quad,
2, why can't I have public liability?
3, They don't propect while racing in the Dakar,
4, A Quad can pull a trailer which can carry all your wares in the first place,
5, steering on Quads is pretty good and the new ones have power steering,
6, A chook chaser has very little advantage on where it can go over the quad,
7, Who wants to waste time assembling a bike out in the gold fields,
8, On my quad I carried all the gear to repair tyres so no need to ride with a flat tyre, and Hondas have electric and pull start,
9, Quads around the 250cc are very economical,
snapper

Back to top Go down

Post by rogawilco on Tue 01 Jul 2014, 9:49 am

I had my postie bike out bush, with me a couple of times, they are a great machine, and go almost anywhere, but the suspension travel on them is short, they don't handle driving over rocks, and makes for a very uncomfortable ride. my legs are too long for a posty bike and have nearly come of it a few times tryin to weave through rocky out crops etc. posty bikes have a very minimal storage capacity for detecting gear, spare coils , sandwiches , water bottle, and spare stubbies. ete etc. I don't go prospecting to pick up chics, geeeezz  Rolling Eyes , most chics think metal detectorists are weird anyway.. that is until they see a few nuggets. Im in no hurry and take my time to see where im going and enjoy the bush scenery, just putting along scanning the ground types as I go. The last thing you want to do when prospecting is be in a hurry. Don't want to drive into a big hole. Having to carry a bit of extra fuel and tow a trailer doesn't worry me.
I am looking to buy a good quad, as I think they a safer, more stable, carry more gear. more comfortable and I can take my eyes off the ground more often and safer to see a wider view. Quads can simply just float straight over ground that a bike will have too manoeuvre through. Careful operation and preparedness will help avoid punctures. Both modes of transport are good, each to their own, but I will be using a quad as my next extension of the 4x4.
RW

p.s And if I happen to pick a chic up in the bush   
I think she would prefer to jump on the back of my quad than on the back of a posty bike. lol! 
rogawilco

Back to top Go down

Post by snapper on Tue 01 Jul 2014, 10:21 am

Hi Rogawilco, when looking to buy a quad look for the ones with the foam air filters [ Honda and Suzuki, others may have them now ] not the paper,cardboard type and buy the spray-on oil made for the filters, also having pull start and electric can ease your mind when outback somewhere, the Chinese bikes look good but you get what you pay for.
The polaris had great ground clearance over the Hondas but you can get all the metal plate protection you need, some standard some will cost extra.
Have a look at all the main makes and see what comes standard on them to suit you, as the extras can add up $$$

snapper

Back to top Go down

Post by rogawilco on Tue 01 Jul 2014, 10:25 am

Thanks Snapper,
I like the Polaris and the Honda's.
The chinaman ones look too cheap too be true.
and I will take your tips on board.
Cheers
RW
rogawilco

Back to top Go down

Post by NuggieDreamer on Tue 01 Jul 2014, 10:29 am

Snap.

as since the dawn of the quad, there are quad riders and there are bike riders and there are pro's and con's for each so I was just adding a dirt bikers opinion to balance the thread... all with good intentions and a stir to those that like quads.

Although I must admit for a serious prospectors setup, a quad would probably be a cheap way of getting around for an extended stay or particularly when you don't want the better half ripping into you while you scratch the duco off the family $100K 4WD.

Dragging a coil at snails pace on a salt lake would be like waiting all day for a fish to bite on a stale bait for me. Pass.

What I meant by insurance is that a road registered vehicles have public liability cover on public roads, state forests, National Parks and Crown land areas where as a quad can only be legally ridden on private or shire gazetted land.

The top of the range unregistered CanAm quad any serious dirt biker would consider not a Farm Buggy costs $25,000 and still can't be used on a open public road!!!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
NuggieDreamer

Back to top Go down

Post by snapper on Tue 01 Jul 2014, 12:38 pm

Ha ha    Nug, hope my posts didn't sound aggressive, just sticking up for Quads team,  qwk;ec
snapper

Back to top Go down

Post by Waypoint on Sun 13 Jul 2014, 7:06 am

Ran in to one of these fellas the other day could be an interesting set up if the side cart could be made removable, running car tyres is a good thinking he said it almost eliminated issues with flats.

Waypoint.
Waypoint

Back to top Go down

Post by pilbaragold on Sun 13 Jul 2014, 8:41 am

Lets see your postie bikes do this.

pilbaragold

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 13 Jul 2014, 10:50 am

YEP IT DOESNT TAKE MUCH--

Was looking on soldsmart and they had those plastic ramps for when u get bogged rated at 10T for about $170 which I thought was a very good deal--

they dont take up much room onto of the roof rack either--2 sets would be great
but as we all know that if u have too many toys to ride on u eventually spend too much time driving instead of swinging.

buy the way a mate has his postie bike for sale up here in Ktown.

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosralt on Sun 13 Jul 2014, 8:34 pm

Hey Snapper you gotta like this new quad from polaris... no more punctured tyres.

Nosralt

Back to top Go down

Post by snapper on Mon 14 Jul 2014, 2:27 pm

Yeppp they look brilliant but I can imagine the price  affraid 
snapper

Back to top Go down

Post by purple-dragon on Mon 14 Jul 2014, 4:59 pm

My 650 dominator gets me anywhere i need to go very quickly away from the hammered areas -I could do it on a postie or a quad but I like the ride out to these places as well -its all part of the experience-just got to wind the bravery back a shade when I point her towards the red stuff-dragon
purple-dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by albo on Wed 16 Jul 2014, 6:16 pm

Iv used both , Honda ag bike & quads . I prefer 4wd quads , 400cc or better .They are good for the deep sandy creeks in the Pilbara to gain easy access to some areas . The 2 wheelers are good for southern Murchison areas that are flatter , horses for courses ...... oh yea pulled a chick on the quad once  Very Happy 
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 18 Jul 2014, 3:38 am

Just got back yesterday from the bush, and while away gave the postie bike plenty of use and I am still surprised at where the thing will go, I went out to look at a feature that was smack dab in the middle of acres of some sandy and heavily scrub covered ground, definitely no place for a quad bike, as it was I had to squeeze in and out between the bushes and pick my way through it to get there, the only way a quad would have gotten in was via a track coming in the other way, either that or try to drive over the top of the scrub.

I especially like the simplicity of the postie over the quad and for the areas I use it on it suits my purpose, over all its much better on hard rocky ground than sand of course due to the skinny tyres, but keep the tyre pressure down and it will handle soft sand a bit better, good knobby tyres are a must if you want to stay on the thing though, to date I have not found any place I have not been able to get to on it.

The aim of this thread was not to put down quad bikes over a motor bikes, but some of the responses read that way scratch , and as far as pulling chicks go?   isn't that the reason we are out there so we can have some time away from them?   rather it was to weigh up the pro's and cons of each machine, for now the postie bike will suit my purposes and when I get old like some of you guys I might need to get a quad so I don't fall off, sort of like an off road gopher  lol! 

au-fever

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum