GHOST TOWN GWALIA

Go down

GHOST TOWN GWALIA

Post by Guest on Sun 08 Jan 2012, 7:44 pm

The Gwalia Historic Site is a unique heritage destination offering the tourist an opportunity to quietly wander back in time and feel the toughness of life in an outback WA Gold mining town. Gwalia is not polished in its appearance, rather it is unaffected in its rustic charm. Its remoteness together with this charm, make every visitor to Gwalia Historic Site feel that Gwalia is their own discovery.

http://www.gwalia.org.au/

Back to top Go down

hey pete

Post by madmav on Mon 09 Jan 2012, 7:06 pm

awesome post m8, great to watch and can't wait to get there

happy hunting
Steve and Lea
madmav

Back to top Go down

Re: GHOST TOWN GWALIA

Post by Bignuggs on Mon 09 Jan 2012, 9:32 pm

Thanks for putting the vid up Pete, it's an interesting little place. Now it gives me the opportunity to tell a story, a true one. One of my uncles was born there in 1929. His father came out from Italy about 1920 and worked at the mine for years until he could afford to bring his wife and kids out from Italy. Use ya imagination, after all the years of not having the wife or kids and WHOOPEE, my uncle pops out 9 months later. My uncle remembers his years there as a kid (1930's). They lived in one of the little tin shacks, kitchen and cooking area out in the back yard. Mum, Dad and 6 kids I think living in a tin oven.
Anyway, here's some photos from a trip I did in 1994. Gwalia has been cleaned up a lot now, it really was a ghost town in 94, the pub was used as offices by the mining company and if I remember, there was probably only 2 or 3 families still living there.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Ghost Town Gwalia

Post by Yibidavid on Thu 01 Mar 2012, 2:08 pm

Great Video & Photos Guys! Makes you wonder how much gold they must of got outta that place. To leave almost everything behind, boggles the mind? Thanks yibidavid!
Yibidavid

Back to top Go down

Post by Makaw on Thu 01 Mar 2012, 4:22 pm

Its an awsome place. I picked up a crucible there 20 years ago, thinking it was some sort of crude beer glass. I still have it here packed securely so it doesnt get broken.

Back to top Go down

Post by BIG GEM on Sun 12 Jan 2014, 3:43 pm

Hi Little Gem here, just read the articles and video on Gwalia.  It brought back some lovely memories for me as I and Big Gem worked for SOG in 1989 for some years. We lived in the State Hotel prior to living moving to a company house in Leonora, I was on the historical committee and learnt so much from this participation.  I have some lovely books (not hard backs) on the old times and the early settlers of Gwalia.  If anybody would like a copy, let me know. Cheers Joan

BIG GEM

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawk 51 on Tue 14 Jan 2014, 6:17 am

I have been to Gwalia a few times and it highlights how hard the people had it back then.I realy enjoyed watching the slide show you put up as it gives and overall picture of the history of Gwalia.I would highly recomend anyone interested in our gold mining past to visit this very rare site.

Hawk 51

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwalia23 on Tue 14 Jan 2014, 10:01 pm

Ahh Your talking about my old home town there. Born & bred.
Remember the exodus when the mine closed in 1963. We stayed a few more years after that.
Not so fond memories of the wet towels hanging in the passage ways to try and catch any breeze to cool the place down. How the old the old timers slept when they were on night shift I will never know.
Fond memories of the closeness of the people, the "progressive dinner" style Christmases where you went from one house to another , stay until all the grog was drunk & then all move on to the next place. Waiting outside the pub for the old man & being bribed by the Rasberry cordials.
Also have vivid memories of the trips to all the small shows such as the Puzzle, Goanna Patch, Wilson's Patch etc with the old man while he did his inspections.
No 4WD then , all done in an FB or EJ Holden station wagon
There are some good photo's on the Gwalia Ghost Town facebook site for those interested
Cheers
Dave

Gwalia23

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum