Lost in the Bush - Interesting Tip if using Radios

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Lost in the Bush - Interesting Tip if using Radios

Post by Bignuggs on Mon 13 Oct 2014, 2:47 pm

For those who are members of APLA, you may have read this in their latest newsletter/EGPA minutes and I hope they don't mind if I post it here.  I assume it works or it wouldn't have been mentioned.  Those of you who use hand held radios will probably know.

"Lost in the Bush? If you are with a friend and you are talking on two way radios: The person not lost should hold their radio up with the talk button held down. The lost person holds their radio in front of their chest and turns in a circle. The interference caused by the body will indicate that the body is between the radios therefore the other radio is behind you".

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Lost in the Bush - Interesting Tip if using Radios

Post by Biggest Kev on Mon 13 Oct 2014, 2:52 pm

Thanks for posting that info Cliff, never heard that before.

Cheers Kev
Biggest Kev

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs on Mon 13 Oct 2014, 3:56 pm

the newsletter had a longer description of how it all works.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bull ant on Mon 13 Oct 2014, 4:34 pm

Very handy to know thanks
Phill.
bull ant

Back to top Go down

Post by Stingray on Mon 13 Oct 2014, 10:03 pm

Thanks for the tip Cliff, I haven't heard of that either but it seems to make sense. For those out bush at the moment, it would be great if you could give it a go and get back to us, it would be good to hear from some-one who has tried it firsthand.

By the way, can anyone recommend a good little set of 2-ways? It would be great if they could also be used to talk to truckies when you want to overtake at night etc - or would you need something different for that?.

Cheers
Stingray

Stingray

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 14 Oct 2014, 5:13 am

That's a useful tip, and sounds logical when you think about it, but the only downside is you have to be with a mate that's smart enough to turn his radio on in the first place, lots of people carry a radio but some are reluctant to leave them on because they don't want to waste the batteries Suspect

au-fever

Back to top Go down

Post by matelot on Tue 14 Oct 2014, 6:23 am

Very cunning. I will remember it (if I can).

Regards Matelot pirat

matelot

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackthehound on Tue 14 Oct 2014, 2:03 pm

I had a similar situation when out detecting. Was out with a mate and he had a hand held uhf that didn't use much power and I had a Rino gps with 5 watt uhf radio built in as well. I did not want to run the gps & uhf at the same time so he would keep his on all the time and I would only turn mine on when needed. He could tell when I was trying to get him on the uhf because the signal would interfere with his detector and he could hear it through his headphones.

Back to top Go down

Post by boobook on Wed 15 Oct 2014, 6:06 am

The Garmin rino gps is a great little unit with "tracbak" to take you back to camp from wherever you are plus if your mate (s) have one their exact location(s) can be shown on the screen by radio contact.
I usually set the radio transmit to 1watt (5w. available) providing an approx. 1-2 km. range in typical WA scrub.
The gps compass will also always point directly to a location set by the "man overboard" facility.
Mike
boobook

Back to top Go down

Post by albo on Wed 15 Oct 2014, 9:05 am

a very helpful tip & thanks . id be sure to stand on a prominent hill as well otherwise you could walk the wrong way if in a valley . also if you have a mobile phone & the signal is very weak send texts as they get out better .
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneybox on Wed 15 Oct 2014, 7:10 pm

The Telstra network is so good now most places you can just use the phone and then every Tom, Dick and Harry can't listen in. We recently did 7 weeks from Niagara north to Mertondale, East to Murrin Murren, Laverton and Lake Carey and using the iPhone 5C as a moden had internet nearly every night. Right now I'm about 100km east of Broken Hill and the internet is slow but still working. I met others out there with a telephone antenna and they got even better reception. I did find a black spot the night before last at Nuggety Gully SE of Glen Innes. I left there yesterday morning and drove into Snow at Guyra.

Back to top Go down

Post by boobook on Mon 27 Oct 2014, 4:49 am

Hi Phil.
Sorry Bignuggs going OT, but Phil, did you pick anything up at Nuggety Gully?
Years ago I knew a bloke who had claims at Bear Hill, always panned gold out of Nowlands creek but NPWS have taken care of all that now.
Good spot for Tiger's, Adders and big Billy goats too!
mike
boobook

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum