Carbon fibre upper shaft

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Carbon fibre upper shaft

Post by Guest on Sat 22 Nov 2014, 3:15 am

Just wondering if there was any advantage of changing the upper ali shaft for a carbon fibre shaft maybe to lessen any interference coming back from the coil.

I have noticed that the larger coils have a very large force field and the sensitivity from onto of the coil is getting close to the top shaft. I still run the original upper shaft.

has anyone had a change of shafts to any real advantage?

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Re: Carbon fibre upper shaft

Post by tricky on Sat 22 Nov 2014, 5:08 am

with coils 18" and above we have tested and found a definite benefit with the extended shaft. I have the carbon shaft but it does have a bit of flex. the best I have found is the sandy shaft ( previously otto ) as it is more rigid.

tricky

Back to top Go down

Post by nato on Sun 23 Nov 2014, 10:35 am

If you have ever ran your detector in enhanced you will know the benefits of using a carbon upper sharft pluss any less weight while swinging is a plus so definitely a good move mate

nato

Back to top Go down

Post by Rege-PA on Mon 24 Nov 2014, 8:52 am

i swapped out my lower and upper for Anderson carbon rods (which I sell), big difference, light weight, handles the big coils nicely.

Rege-PA

Back to top Go down

Carbon fibre upper shaft

Post by Hotrocks on Mon 24 Nov 2014, 2:45 pm

O K....So I'm a cheap skate! Since the 2000 days I have been using, and making, my one piece shafts from bamboo.
I buy the lengths from Bunnings garden section ( take in your vernier gauge to get the right diameter) I turn an adapter for the bottom, coil end, out of a bit of hardwood and shape to suit the coil ears, top end is filled with fibre glass resin and drilled thru for mounting holes. Strong as Dougs breath and look OK with a bit of Estapol, light and non conductive. Shaft usually end up costing three bucks.

Hotrocks

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 24 Nov 2014, 3:42 pm

BUT WHAT ABOUT TIME TO PRODUCE IT--u spent fuel to go to bunnings then had to turn the necessary pieces up plus the estapol to look good....must have cost all up 3 hours it total,,,

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by sandgroper on Mon 24 Nov 2014, 6:15 pm

oneday wrote:BUT WHAT ABOUT TIME TO PRODUCE IT--u spent fuel to go to bunnings then had to turn the necessary pieces up plus the estapol to look good....must have cost all up 3 hours it total,,,

regards
oneday
Maybe, but you can't put a price on the satisfaction factor, from the designing & making of a product yourself that actually works as it should do!!
sandgroper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 24 Nov 2014, 7:11 pm

but I don't think he'll make me one for $3..

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 26 Nov 2014, 4:10 am

I have been using the otto shafts for some time, and the only advantage really is when you are using big coils, the weight difference is minimal.

Some drawbacks are, you have to be careful with your tightening of the hand grip screws as you have to keep it firm but any more than firm and the handle base will tend to split, also the holes that the bolts for the control box mount can become sloppy and the box tends to wobble a bit ( that sounds a bit suss Hmmmm)

Also you will find that some stock minelab bottom shafts dont fit into the otto top shaft at all and some can be very tight to push in if you want to shorten the shaft length or pack the detector away, well worn ones are usually ok, also the otto bottom shaft (coil end) are quite narrow so unless the teardrop rubbers are in good condition this can lead to you having to overtighten the securing nut causing the mounts on your coil to pull in and crack.

The theory is that a larger coil, say 14" round or so will see the upper shaft at the edge of its detection range, the detectors electronics tries to filter it out like it does ground noise, so theoretically it can desensitize? the search coil, and it will make it less sensitive and it can ignore small targets.

Its for the same reason why its recommended that you carry as much of your metallic kit items like radios, gps, pick holders ect either to the back of your body or around the side, as far away from the coil as you can anyway, not any real issue with smaller coils up to 14".

For the most part if you dont or rarely use big coils I wouldnt bother with changing over to one as the stock set up is adequate.

au-fever

Last edited by au-fever on Wed 26 Nov 2014, 4:20 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ad more info)

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum