Spare tyre safety.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Spare tyre safety.

Post by Banjo on Sun 23 Nov 2014, 6:52 pm

I staked a sidewall a week or so back and put the spare on, it's been sitting on the back of my Troopy for 6-7 years, other than checking now and then it wasn't flat i never paid much attention to it.
So, just been running around town but this morning Nosralt and i headed to Marble Bar for a swing, i was out in front leading the way so 95-100 is about my limit, Terry was in front on the way home, we were driving along trying to keep up with him Very Happy and next thing it sounded and felt like the ass end on the passenger side had a big let go, i saw something black fly off out of the corner of my eye and the Troopy was like a bucking bronco and i was waiting for the seven second bell Laughing
I thought the U-bolts had snapped but i had not long replaced the rear leaf's, we pulled over and were greeted by a hissing tyre, oh and a delaminated tyre and some other carnage, actually a little disappointed because i think i had Ray just pipped in the paint/panel department but alas that's out the window now.

So i'm guessing the tyre from sitting around in the one spot was all old and perished and didn't like driving over rocks today and started to crack etc, Ray or other tyre experts please jump in but long story short i learnt a lesson today in not taking condition of things for granted, considering all the other preventative maintenance ive done to the Troopy i really dropped the ball on the spare Mad

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Action shot Ray, checking the split tyre pressure

Banjo

Back to top Go down

Re: Spare tyre safety.

Post by Guest on Mon 24 Nov 2014, 6:39 am

so long as u r alright --that's the main thing.

although your tyres have a heap of tread doesn't mean they r ok.

We get a lot of people buying tyres on the internet and these tyres are usually second hand..
when buying these type of tyres even if they r given to u ---check between the tread --if u see any form of cracking even check the area next to the bead area were the tyre fits onto the rim--if u see cracking then ditch them..

This is the main reason we don't fit second hand tyres. Its not worth the risk.

We have also been approached by Tyresonline to fit their tyres and unfortunately for them --they didn't want to pay me a going rate for our services.

regards
oneday

Last edited by oneday on Mon 24 Nov 2014, 7:11 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 24 Nov 2014, 7:09 am

THE SKID MARKS on the side come off with a wash and some cut and polish.

Make sure u let the stuffed tyre down-it can explode otherwise

regards
oneday

Last edited by oneday on Mon 24 Nov 2014, 9:09 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Banjo on Mon 24 Nov 2014, 8:37 am

hi Ray, yeah we are all good, nearly brown undie time there for a while though, lucky it was on a straight and not rounding a bend.

Good advice on the secondhand tyres, you really don't know how long they have been sitting or where etc

Shame Terry wasn't following, he could of stopped and picked up my mudflap that was torn off Very Happy
I might try and clean it off but it adds a bit of character/street cred to the Troopy Laughing Lucky the scrub/step bars extend right back there, i think it limited the damage to the side.

Darren

Banjo

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto on Mon 24 Nov 2014, 9:53 am

glad it worked out all good for yas. I had a mate who split the side of his car open with a tyre. it just acted like a whipper snipper cutting right through the two layers of steel in the tyre well ending up in the rear of his wagon. when they go they certainly can do damage. best to start with new tyres all round including the two spares and keep any older ones for emergency spares. same on the caravan. your life is not worth the savings on 2nd hand.

martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Banjo on Mon 24 Nov 2014, 11:08 am

Wow Martin, now that would of been an experience for your mate.

This has really opened my eyes up and will be checking the tyres out a lot more than i used too.

Darren

Banjo

Back to top Go down

Post by Banjo on Mon 24 Nov 2014, 3:33 pm

I was just out there checking the tyre to see if Ray could re-case it for me scratch and if you look at the pic of the tyre and the rust stain near the stem, well that was at the bottom when mounted on the spare wheel carrier, so the bottom third of the tread is still intact so looks like my theory of the tyre tread being perished from the sun seem's correct.

Banjo

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar on Mon 24 Nov 2014, 5:06 pm

Question for Ray,
Is it true all tyres have a production date displayed on the sidewalls so owner can check when the tyres were manufactured before purchase?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

"Aging seems to be the only available way to live a long life."

Nightjar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 24 Nov 2014, 6:32 pm

yep stamped on the side wall is correct.--they should also have a DOT number as well.

regards
oneday.

Back to top Go down

Post by cueite on Fri 05 Dec 2014, 3:48 pm

hi oneday, has anyone had a prob with alloy rims as i have had two split on me at the moment have two spare steel rims which dont match but have lost faith in alloy s i have a v8 diesel trayback fitted with alloys when new but when i get to a tyre mob will be buying new steel rims cheers jono

cueite

Back to top Go down

Post by Nanjim on Sat 06 Dec 2014, 9:46 am

That reminds me I Must Check The Spare......

Cheers Nanjim
Jim

Nanjim

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto on Sat 06 Dec 2014, 10:59 am

so can you get a very fine mesh chain setup like used in the snow? seems to me to be the end of all of stakes. put them on when going off track wouldnt be hard and if made of SS linked they would last a lifetime. anyone seen something like this?

martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 06 Dec 2014, 11:24 am

HI jONO
havent seen cracked alloys from natural wear and tear, apart from corroded trailer rims.

we get a few rims were people have hit the verges either p*ssed or on a mobile phone and they have suffered substantial damage.

Theres usually a reason.

maybe run it past a tyre dealer in your area.

good luck

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum