APLA Membership

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

APLA Membership

Post by Bignuggs on Tue 30 Dec 2014, 4:47 pm

First topic message reminder :

Probably wrong time of year to be asking questions as everyone is in holiday mode.
but I had to ask. so here are the questions I sent to APLA.

1. what is the current total membership of APLA.
2. how many of the members are full time professional prospectors and lease holders.
3. how many are just detectorists.

Now you are probably wondering why I have asked these questions. Unfortunately you will have to keep wondering until I get the answer.
I have a reason for asking.
Call me a shite stirrer if you like, as an APLA member, I think I have a right to know.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: APLA Membership

Post by Wedgetail on Fri 02 Jan 2015, 1:27 pm

Spot on with that Tk. My dozer's parked up and we are leaning more towards precisely what you say. I've even bought the Australian version of this little crusher:

This one is the USA version:

http://www.goldrushtradingpost.com/cobra_crusher___portable_rock_crusher

The Aussie version distributor is a mate of mine in Ballarat. Send me a PM for the details, anyone.

I've tried it with hard greenstone basalt & glassy quartz and it makes it talcum powder (minus 100 mesh) 'em of in a second or two. One of these on my AEG cordless grinder and a pan and I'll be back searching for reefs and not nuggets, walking quietly through the bush. My big crusher can be heard in Nullagine from Kalgoorlie!

Not many old timers made money out of nuggets but a lot made money by "finding & selling".

Wedgetail

Back to top Go down

Post by Tkinggold on Fri 02 Jan 2015, 2:33 pm

-Sorry to go a bit off topic-

I use one of the Armstrong Industry 777 mini's for testing. Great little unit for doing a few hundred kilo sample crushes. WA made and top blokes as well.
I find that I get a more accurate sample by doing about 100kg test batches then just doing a handful of rocks.

http://www.armstrongindustries.com.au/#!grb-777-mini/c1up9

Got some drill results going 40g+ per ton at shallow depth here! looking forward to getting his big brother fired up. wegr

Tkinggold

Back to top Go down

Post by Wedgetail on Fri 02 Jan 2015, 3:38 pm

I've seen those Armstrong ones in prospector supply shops, I think Reeds do 'em. But I'll use that little 'un of mine 'cos it's eminently portable at about 3.5 kgs - until I get my big hammer mill back from my mate.

Wedgetail

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs on Fri 09 Jan 2015, 2:47 pm

Bignuggs wrote:Probably wrong time of year to be asking questions as everyone is in holiday mode.
but I had to ask.  so here are the questions I sent to APLA.

1.  what is the current total membership of APLA.
2.  how many of the members are full time professional prospectors and lease holders.
3.  how many are just detectorists.

Now you are probably wondering why I have asked these questions.  Unfortunately you will have to keep wondering until I get the answer.
I have a reason for asking.
Call me a shite stirrer if you like, as an APLA member, I think I have a right to know.

#1. Well I did get an answer but I won't post the numbers.
Let's just say the membership numbers should be a hell of a lot higher but it appears some only take it out for 1 year or just for a trip if you want to put it that way.
#2 & 3. The break up is not known as not all members have updated their details on the new APLA site but it is inferred that most are just "Detectorists". A bit disappointing, it would be nice to know how many working LeaseHolders/Prospectors are members of APLA.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wandwaver on Fri 09 Jan 2015, 3:01 pm

Joined at the Open Day, still waiting for our membership cards. Have a log on to the site and it appears we are accepted.

wandwaver

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs on Fri 09 Jan 2015, 3:08 pm

Still waiting for card also and I paid when the new site went active.
I thought they had a private mob handling this now so it's a bit slow seeing it's already 2015.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto on Fri 09 Jan 2015, 4:06 pm

nice to at least be allocated a number to quote if required.

martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs on Fri 09 Jan 2015, 4:11 pm

Some more info. There has been some hick ups with the new site and the cards are being done manually this year.
They should all be issued by the end of this month.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by boobook on Fri 09 Jan 2015, 5:47 pm

FWIW our number 4958a/b
Joined 2010
Now awaiting new cards

mike
boobook

Back to top Go down

Post by Wedgetail on Fri 09 Jan 2015, 7:19 pm

BN,

"most are detectorists",,,,,,,,,,hmmmm I don't like saying it but I'm saying it,,,,,"I told you so".

And after the latest effort about APLA's opposition or lack thereof to the proposal from the DMP for a "$590.00 fee" for a POW Application there's will be a lot less leaseholders than there are at present!! The current leaders of APLA seem to be hell bent on making APLA "a club for metal detector users only".

If that does happen then expect trouble with leaseholders in the paddocks.

Wedgetail

Back to top Go down

Post by toad on Fri 09 Jan 2015, 7:35 pm

Wedgetail wrote:BN,

"most are detectorists",,,,,,,,,,hmmmm I don't like saying it but I'm saying it,,,,,"I told you so".

And after the latest effort about APLA's opposition or lack thereof to the proposal from the DMP for a "$590.00 fee" for a POW Application there's will be a lot less leaseholders than there are at present!! The current leaders of APLA seem to be hell bent on making APLA "a club for metal detector users only".

Are you a member Wedgetail? If not why not? You can't really have a say in what APLA opposes or doesn't oppose if you aren't a member. If you are a member I guess you may have a justifiable gripe if what you say is true. If your not a member, I guess you'd come across as a just a whinger who is too cheap to pay his membership and have a say.

So what category do you fall into?
toad

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs on Fri 09 Jan 2015, 8:11 pm

Yes you did Les but, I always check for myself.  It's like saying "do you believe everything you read", well I don't and until I can get some different figures regarding the current state of the APLA membership then I can only go with what I've been told.  Maybe lease holders try to hide, ever thought about that.
It's a pity you have that attitude being a lease holder seeing what APLA stands for.  But if that's the way things are going, then let's see where it goes.
As for APLA only "hell bent on making APLA a club for metal detector users only", I don't believe you and never will.
So whinge away, ya bloody good at it.

PS. it's a pity you can't put your knowledge to better use.

Last edited by Bignuggs on Fri 09 Jan 2015, 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : more added)

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wedgetail on Fri 09 Jan 2015, 9:53 pm

toad wrote:

Are you a member Wedgetail?  If not why not?  You can't really have a say in what APLA opposes or doesn't oppose if you aren't a member.  If you are a member I guess you may have a justifiable gripe if what you say is true.  If your not a member, I guess you'd come across as a just a whinger who is too cheap to pay his membership and have a say.

So what category do you fall into?

Toad,

FYI - I was Secretary/Treasurer of Metro Branch of APLA, 1993 to 1996. Then went working overseas and had to resign that position. However, I’ve been an APLA member continuously since 1993 until the present.  I once more joined the Executive team as Eastern Goldfields  APLA delegate to DMP conferences etc until October this year.  At which point I resigned because APLA would not support a submission to the DMP on behalf of its leaseholding members against the introduction of application fees for Programme of Works (POW) Applications. Plus, at the same time, APLA refused to support the holder of a Miners Right in a dispute with the pastoral lease manager on Minara Station when the prospector was ordered to leave a Pending tenement.  The pastoral lease manager was totally wrong and he knew it, but there was no APLA support for the prospector and I felt strongly that was the wrong stance. That really upset me as it should upset any of us that detect and prospect.

In both cases, I took it upon myself to rectify the situations. Firstly I took the argument to Minara Resources management that owned the pastoral lease. I can send you the emails if you’d like them. The pastoral lease manager was put back in his box by his own manager.

Secondly, in the POW instance I wrote a 4 page submission on behalf of several professional leaseholders as APLA wasn’t willing to take on the DMP about the issue. It still won’t do that and the fees have now been released and the change in the Mining Act is being drafted as we speak. I can send you the report from the DMP on my submission if you'd like a copy of that as well.

My take on it? If APLA won't do it, then I'll do it myself.

There's a few people on here that accuse me of being "anti-recreational". I'm not, as you can read above. I've proven myself to be open minded about both sides of the prospecting fence. I used to be purely recreational for many years so I know how hard it is to get somewhere to detect. Unfortunately, things haven't got better over the years. It's got a lot worse and there are many reasons for that. I'm trying to tell people "how not get caught". It seems like that's not appreciated. What gets the guernsey here is "agree with BigNuggs" about everything. Not my style I'm afraid.

Take no notice of BigNuggs. He's the worst whinger of the lot - especially when someone knows a bit more than he does qwk;ec

Last edited by Wedgetail on Fri 09 Jan 2015, 10:05 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Syntax etc)

Wedgetail

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar on Sat 10 Jan 2015, 7:11 am

Wedgetail wrote:

My take on it? If APLA won't do it, then I'll do it myself.
I used to be purely recreational for many years so I know how hard it is to get somewhere to detect. Unfortunately, things haven't got better over the years. It's got a lot worse and there are many reasons for that. I'm trying to tell people "how not get caught". It seems like that's not appreciated.

Bad luck on the personal attempt with the anti POW at least you tried.

Secondly why is it so hard to get permission to detect, does it have anything to do with your attitude?
We all know there are many who do not seek permission and just hope they don't get a "move on notice."
Then there are the hundreds who do the right thing, support APLA, support the Miners Right, support the guidelines laid down by the DMP, support the Pastoralists, respect lease holders rights, bring a little prosperity to outback towns and enjoy months of detecting with out carrying a chip the size of a dozer blade around on their shoulders.
If they go home with a few nuggets in their brag jar they are even more happy and begin planning their next winter in the goldfields almost straight away.

Les maybe you should have stayed with the hobbyists and enjoyed the free life, life is too short to spend your waking hours bitter and twisted thinking everyone is against you.
Maybe you should heed BN's advice?

Bignuggs wrote: PS. it's a pity you can't put your knowledge to better use.

"Aging seems to be the only available way to live a long life."

Nightjar

Back to top Go down

Post by Wedgetail on Sat 10 Jan 2015, 8:10 am

NJ,

You can't help yourself can you? You just have to have a go. Why not just reply and leave the personals out of it? Take me as a role model! I only dish out the personal stuff when I get it dished out to me.

I don't have any issues getting permission to detect. The point I'm making above is that the majority of others seem to have that problem. I don't.

I have 1400 hectares of my own and agreements with companies and leaseholders in the Leonora and Laverton areas that give me access to something in the order of 25,000 hectares. It's easy to do if you know what to do, who to ask, how to ask, how to behave but most important of all - what do you offer in return? That's the key.

Thanks for your comments regarding the POW thing. I'd certainly like to hear your opinions about the stance that APLA took when they didn't support that prospector against the Manager of Minara Station. I found it perplexing and very "unprofessional" for an organisation that purports to supports prospectors. I do know, however, that he was regarded as an "Eastern Stater tourist" and therefore shouldn't be encouraged!!Amazing eh!

In APLA's defence they did go in against the station owner at Yerilla who was being obnoxious & acting illegally. But that prospector was from WA,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

NJ - about chips,,,,,,,,,After spending 20 odd years in APLA and fighting to get things changed such as SPLs and Sect 20a, knocking down stroppy pastoralists, helping inexperienced leaseholders against the DMP and mining companies, it's bloody hard not to develop a chip. Fortunately, I resisted that development.

People that take the "free life, easy care" attitude rarely achieve anything to help their fellow prospectors. That attitude is "who cares, I'm alright Jack, that's their problem" etc, etc. I can't be like that. I wasn't brought up like that. I care. I got stuck in for 20 years. What have you done to help the cause of prospectors NJ?

Wedgetail

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto on Sat 10 Jan 2015, 9:03 am

maybe its time for new blood in the APLA, people driven for doing the right thing irrelevant of where you live. if you have the miners WA rights and the right to access the ground and working withing the act then you should not get harassed. the Yerilla fellow i have met but as we had all our paperwork in order and was able to show him our exact location in respect to leases he left us alone but I have heard first hand he went way over board. as a prospector I like many others do our best to understand both acts and wont go where not allowed, we clean up every time even for others and respect all land/lease owners, I like many small operators would like to own a small lease one day and will need an organisation to represent me/us. supporting the APLA by maintaining membership is the only way forward, spitting the dummy because you didnt win that battle is understandable with the government but just works in their favour. I have been battling the WA and federal government of over 10 years on a very personal subject and only last year did we finally make good ground and have a great movement behind us slowly getting the laws changed for the better of all. its a frustrating path to tackle any gov department but with persistence people come around to the right way of thinking. sometimes or they retire or die. the more i understand mining the more i will get involved as i believe its up to everyone to act as a whole and not as an individual, thats the way forward. IMO.
cheers

martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wedgetail on Sat 10 Jan 2015, 9:48 am

Well said MJSTO,

So come on all you "wishers and big talkers". How about you get into APLA, get on the Executive, give 'em some help with all of your experience, help 'em out at functions such as Open Days, get on committees and learn what's really important, volunteer for something and you'd be surprised at what you can learn.

APLA needs your help. Last two times they had an Open Day in Perth, they couldn't even get any members at all to help 'em move tables and chairs and cook a few snags. Where were all you "well wishers"? The Perth committee had to call in relatives to help them get through both days - and none of those helpers were APLA members? Where were you people?

APLA members will have been reading their copies of the APLA newsletter this last 14 months, no doubt. The Editor, of which I was one, has been asking members for input, articles and stories. All to no avail as we got next to no replies. So where's your stories, your input, your knowledge? Are you a taker or a giver?

If you all want to become "givers" to APLA and not simply complacent "takers", then get your fingers out of collective arseholes and get stuck in and help! Sitting around enjoying the benefits that APLA have fought for while not helping out is akin to union members that accept the pay and conditions but don't pay the dues.

I believe in APLA and have done for years, but boy do they need some guidance & help these days. They won't listen to me so how about someone else has a go?

Without APLA, you don't have a hope in hell - as misguided as APLA can be at times.

Wedgetail

Back to top Go down

Post by Wedgetail on Sat 10 Jan 2015, 9:59 am

BN,

"Bignuggs wrote:PS. it's a pity you can't put your knowledge to better use"

As you can see above BN, and as you well know, my knowledge has been put to better use since 1993. Would you care to make suggestions as to how I should do even more?

,,,,,,,,,,,,whilst others sit on their quoits and do SFA except abuse people that do care about the future of prospecting in Australia.

Wedgetail

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 10 Jan 2015, 10:53 am

so were to from here?

i think the biggest problem is finding the right people with time to spare.

unfortunately it might have to be a paid position within the organisation to better itself and have a bigger say in the matters of prospecting in WA.

I also have made representation to the then minister regarding the time given for a 40e permit.. I tried unsuccessfully to extend it by an extra 3 months but after reading the kock and bull story the ministers crony reply then I thought what the heck.

everything was too hard.

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Wedgetail on Sat 10 Jan 2015, 11:48 am

Ray,

Great to see you here on this topic.

On the subject of "Paid senior operations person for APLA" that very point was raised by some professional and recreational prospectors early in last season. As an interested party and at the time an Executive member of APLA, I presented that very issue by email to the APLA Exec to be considered at last September's Exec tele-conference. My proposal was to offer a paid part time position to capable and experienced person that could represent prospectors to companies and the DMP etc. And No!!, it wasn't me that was looking for that job as I'm away too much in winter.

I just didn't believe what happened next. The proposal was diluted to "temporary clerical position to assist the treasurer with writing out the APLA membership cards in December"! End of story. It was after that and all the crap about the Minara pastoral manager and the POW fee thing in the preceding month or so that I just saw red and gave it away. It was a waste of my time to continue.

The other issue about "it's all too hard",,,well I agree with you there. It is hard, bloody hard to sit down and teach yourself about the problems, it's hard when you have to front up as a layman in front of DMP people and lawyers and present a case for the prospectors.

But Ray, do you know what the hardest part is really? It's when you get abused and shat on by people that haven't done a pukking thing for prospectors and APLA. That hurts a lot. But unlike others that want an "easy life without a care" I carry on - but not with APLA unfortunately. There are other ways to get things done, if only for myself and good mates.

Wedgetail

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs on Sat 10 Jan 2015, 11:56 am

Wedgetail wrote:

What gets the guernsey here is "agree with BigNuggs" about everything. Not my style I'm afraid.

Take no notice of BigNuggs. He's the worst whinger of the lot - especially when someone knows a bit more than he does qwk;ec

I don't expect anyone to agree with me and I'd be gobsmacked if they did.  We live in a so called democracy where everyone is entitled to an opinion, including you.
I don't profess to be an expert on anything and I wish my knowledge of the mining act was better than it is.  Yes I do whinge like everyone else and I'm entitled to have a whinge when I feel like it.  
So take note, your "Holier than thou" attitude is starting to annoy people and the list of PM's I get about you is getting longer.  so get off your high horse.
You are here (for the third time) by the request of someone and it's against my better judgement and limited patience with you.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 10 Jan 2015, 4:04 pm

It's a shame this topic has turned into a "who's got the biggest Dick'' contest because it seems to me (someone who has just bought a detector and is keen on getting out) that this is an important issue. A lot of long time prospectors have a lot of valuable knowledge to help newbies with, and as far as I can see, alienating them from this forum will be a giant step backwards. A collective deep breath is called for here please
cheers
Russo

Back to top Go down

Post by Tkinggold on Sat 10 Jan 2015, 4:11 pm

Keep it comin, this thread has been great entertainment Laughing

For once I actually agree with most of what Les has said, I will just keep quiet though as I'm just a cheap , whinging lease holder pirat

Tkinggold

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeboy on Sat 10 Jan 2015, 6:42 pm

I agree with Les also some home truth's is good to hear

BB

bikeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 10 Jan 2015, 6:45 pm

haven't heard u whinge Trent--now that u r on easy street --
hows the house goin?