Two deaths in WA outback this month

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Two deaths in WA outback this month

Post by Guest on Mon 19 Jan 2015, 4:06 am

First topic message reminder :

As many of you would have heard on the news there have been two deaths in WA outback this month, earlier in the month near Wiluna a 60 year old man died after his car broke down and he tried to walk the 48 klms to a station in 40 degree temps, his body was found 2 klms from the his destination, didn't hear about this on the news?

The second death on the 16/1 was a 39 truck driver from Perth, his truck got bogged while he was attempting to deliver farm equipment to a homestead in the East Murchison area, about 100 klms Nth East of Meekatharra, after getting bogged it seems he also tried to walk the remaining distance to the homestead in 43 degree temps, his body was found under a tree on Friday night

A sad but timely reminder, the golden rule still applies, you have a better chance of survival if you remain with your vehicle, and the reasons are quite simple.

1. it will give you shelter from the heat and cold , and bities
2. there may be other sources of fluids that you can drink, NOT the radiator fluid as its poisonous, windscreen washer water, and if you leave the aircon running you get water from the drain stem, might not taste the best but may keep you alive.
3. a vehicle is easier to spot from the air than a person walking on the ground or laying under a tree.
4. you will probably have a uhf radio to call for help, and climbing a tree will greatly increase the range of a hand held unit.
5. you might have a mobile phone, once again get as high as you can to see if you can get a signal.

Time and time again people die because they try to walk themselves out of trouble, unless you are reasonably fit and can carry sufficient water, in that sort of heat you will need at least 3 ltrs per day, you should not attempt it and as I said before you have a better chance of survival staying put.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-01-18/man-dies-in-extreme-heat-in-remote-wa-after-truck-breakdown/6023592

au-fever

Back to top Go down

RE: TWO DEATHS IN WA OUTBACK THIS MONTH

Post by goldstrijk on Wed 21 Jan 2015, 2:02 pm

flyrock,
They are WA based as well, he reckons he has sold heaps to prospectors, so he should know about the areas we go to

http://www.clientsat.com.au/inmarsat-isat-phone-pro-pre-paid-options/

goldstrijk

Back to top Go down

Re: Two deaths in WA outback this month

Post by Guest on Wed 21 Jan 2015, 2:53 pm

YEP LOOKS SUFFICIENT for what u want--text sms messages are cheap.

pre paid is a good option.

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 21 Jan 2015, 4:02 pm

I looked into sat phones some time back for a backup option but found that in the majority of places where I go I can get Telstra, one time my mate was trying to get a call out on his sat phone, it wouldn't connect but I was parked about 50 mtrs away and could get a call out on my phone in the car, he was not happy.

I have also mounted an extendable antenna pole on the roof rack which via a patch lead I can connect my phone to, it gets about 40-50 klms more distance than the car kit does.

Anyway a sat phone is fine but just like an epirb unless you are going to be able to carry it on your person its not going to be much help if you are lost and away from your vehicle.

au-fever

Back to top Go down

Post by flyrock on Thu 22 Jan 2015, 8:44 am

Thanks for that guys, I'll give Rob from Clientsat a ring.
Cheers

flyrock

Back to top Go down

Post by goldstrijk on Thu 22 Jan 2015, 9:33 am

Received my Sat phone this morning, less than 24hrs from order, how good is that? cheers
Now to the business of setting up phone numbers etc. scratch
Looks pretty simple though

Pete

goldstrijk

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum