redarc coolant alarm.

Go down

redarc coolant alarm.

Post by wavehog on Sun 08 Feb 2015, 7:31 am

Was at the auto electicians a while back and saw the coolant alarm so got one fitted to the disco . It has a probe that goes in either the coolant overflow bottle or the top of the radiator and one in the bottom of the radiator so of there is a break in the current an alarm goes off on the dash board allowing you to stop before the engine starts to overheat ,if you wait for the temperature to rise ,your motor is usually damaged anyway ,I thought it was pretty good insurance and cheap at about $300 bucks ,has anyone else seen the alarms ???

wavehog

Back to top Go down

Re: redarc coolant alarm.

Post by Guest on Sun 08 Feb 2015, 8:04 am

I don't have one--but I'm a stickler at watching my temp guage when driving along--day or night.

I very rarely let anyone drive my vehicles...

and if for some unknown reason that my temp guage goes up then I turn the heater on and she cools down fast and stays down.

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Inhere on Sun 08 Feb 2015, 8:17 am

wavehog wrote:Was at the auto electicians a while back and saw the coolant alarm so got one fitted to the disco . It has a probe that goes in either the coolant overflow bottle or the top of the radiator and one in the bottom of the radiator so of there is a break in the current an alarm goes off on the dash board allowing you to stop before the engine starts to overheat ,if you wait for the temperature to rise ,your motor is usually damaged anyway ,I thought it was pretty good insurance and cheap at about $300 bucks ,has anyone else seen the alarms ???

Thanks wavehog, i'm with you, by the time the temp guage hits the red the damage has been done
in late or any with those alloy radiators.
They tend to dump the water pretty quick.
Inhere

Back to top Go down

Post by wavehog on Sun 08 Feb 2015, 9:08 am

Must be very pleasant driving around Karratha in summer with your heater on ,Ray

wavehog

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 08 Feb 2015, 10:13 am

u only need to do that if u get into trouble on your trip...should have elaborated..

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by wavehog on Sun 08 Feb 2015, 11:15 am

I should have explained the redarc alarm a bit better , it's designed for coolant loss from split hoses or other sudden damage ,it sends a current through the coolant so as soon as you start lose coolant for whatever reason it lets you know before you cook your engine.

wavehog

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto on Sun 08 Feb 2015, 11:59 am

one thing i know with any electronic level sensors are that they cake up over time with crap and coat the sender unit so it can false out ie track through the radiator forming a circuit so they can instill a false sense of security. i have a water temp guage, a motor oil tem and auto transmission temp and an exhaust temp gauge fitted also a oil pressure and boost gauge. you get to know the running variables of your motor and any difference is immediately investigated. but the best gauge is your eyes, look under the bonnet daily and check all fluid levels, belts and hoses and carry spares.

martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs on Sun 08 Feb 2015, 1:52 pm

wavehog wrote:I should have explained the redarc alarm a bit better , it's designed for coolant loss from split hoses or other sudden damage ,it sends a current through the coolant so as soon as you start lose coolant for whatever reason it lets you know before you cook your engine.

So if I get this correct, it works only when you are totally running out of radiator coolant, not when it is bypassing and running into your overflow bottle ??

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Inhere on Sun 08 Feb 2015, 10:18 pm

Bignuggs wrote:
wavehog wrote:I should have explained the redarc alarm a bit better , it's designed for coolant loss from split hoses or other sudden damage ,it sends a current through the coolant so as soon as you start lose coolant for whatever reason it lets you know before you cook your engine.

So if I get this correct, it works only when you are totally running out of radiator coolant, not when it is bypassing and running into your overflow bottle  ??

That's right Cliff, when the water dumps from a split hose or tank there is no water around the heat sensor so it doesn't show as
overheating.........until the smoke and steam comes out of the bonnet.
By then, there is all sorts of damage happening, gaskets blowing, heads warping etc, etc.
Inhere

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneybox on Sun 08 Feb 2015, 10:39 pm

Bignuggs wrote:

So if I get this correct, it works only when you are totally running out of radiator coolant, not when it is bypassing and running into your overflow bottle  ??

I've fitted a few of these. They work on the water making the electrical connection. Once the water is not covering the sensor the circuit is cut causing the alarm to sound. They are very good value because even though you watch the temp gauge regularly it's not often enough to prevent engine destruction if the water drops suddenly.

My Mazda T3500 snapped a wormdrive hose clamp half way between Hyden and Norseman. I was only saved by the smell of coolant when the hose popped off. In cases like this when the engine is already running at operating temperature it only takes a moment to reach a critical temperature. A water level alarm would have triggered immediately.

On the other hand you have to know what the alarm is for. I just drove a vehicle back from Brisbane and had an intermittent alarm going off at unusual times. I've been a mechanic for more than forty years but I still never woke up that it was a low level coolant alarm. The temperature was ok even though I noticed the coolant was on the minimum level it never changed so I didn't worry about it. It was only after I got home and removed the radiator to do some other work that I noticed the sensor and it twigged why the intermittent alarm was going off. The water level sensor was exposed on some bends.

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto on Sun 08 Feb 2015, 11:00 pm

hmm they do sound like they do a good job, further investigating required me thinks. I am a bit anal with keeping my motor in good shape and knowing what is going on all the time, its a simple circuit that I have built b4 for a water level sensor in a hydrogen/oxygen gas generator i made once.
cheers

martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dozer on Mon 09 Feb 2015, 5:57 am

Daily prestarts are part of mine life but even then the brown stuff hits the whirly thingy.
Most hose failures we deal with are not the obvious ones, they are usually the turbo hoses or bypass hoses. When they fail they still cook motors just like the big hoses do.
This alarm uses ac for its sensor so there should be no buildup of crud on it. I've never fitted one but they seem like a great idea.

Dozer

Back to top Go down

Post by wavehog on Fri 13 Feb 2015, 5:49 pm

yeah Dozer ,for about $300 I reakon it's good insurance and it tests the circuit and alarm every time you turn it on ,I got onto it when I got a redarc electric brake controller fitted ,it's up on the consol above you're head so it can be accessed at all times without fumbling around down by your legs or other inaccessible places . A talk with a bloke who had just written his caravan off because he couldn't reach his controller brought it all on.

wavehog

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum