Bernies Patch this arvo--first test--2nd test--

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Bernies Patch this arvo--first test--2nd test--

Post by Nanjim on Thu 19 Feb 2015, 2:49 pm

First topic message reminder :

oneday
Thanks for the offer mate ....
Unfortunately I am about 6 hrs drive sorta South...
Don't think the boss would like me doin the blot lol...

Cheers Nanjim
Jim

Nanjim

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 20 Feb 2015, 9:05 am

yep a bunch of bloody idiots out in that weather-- lol! affraid jhgigfif

but we survived....to tell our grand kids..

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Wedgetail on Fri 20 Feb 2015, 9:08 am

I'm very interested in how it goes on a salt flat. Noise vs loss of sensitivity. The usual problem.

Wedgetail

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 20 Feb 2015, 12:53 pm

Just remember it doesnt have a Salt mode--just Difficult soil...so if u r buying one to conquor the great salt lakes of WA then my advice would be to hire one first...see what u can get out of it or wait till someone posts their experiences on the salt.....

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Wedgetail on Fri 20 Feb 2015, 3:42 pm

When I read that manual I noticed there was no "Salt" setting in the 7000. A bit disappointing but not fatal. I'll let you know by about mid-April how it goes on salt. It may be that the coil type that comes with the 7000 is suited solely to the installed circuitry. So the usual salt coil winding (self cancelling) of "figure 8" isn't compatible with the 7000 circuits no matter what. Salt lakes are a god-awful mix of high magnetics iron gravel, surface salt and layered clay. They're worse than wet sand at the beach.

Oh well, we'll see. Wonder what JP reckons as he didn't mention anything about salt in his notes on the ML site.

Wedgetail

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Porter on Fri 20 Feb 2015, 4:18 pm

The go-to settings for deep gold is the General/Difficult modes in hot ground and General/Normal in milder soils.... there's no salt mode so the Extra Deep mode (stupid name) will cut back on sensitivity to surface noises but at a cost to outright depth and sensitivity to small targets.

B&Z works extremely well with the GPZ, dual speakers are also the go.... happy to provide basic settings to those interested.

JP

Jonathan Porter

Back to top Go down

Post by Wedgetail on Fri 20 Feb 2015, 4:52 pm

JP - What is "B&Z"?

Yer right about that "stupid name" - "Extra Deep mode (stupid name) will cut back on sensitivity to surface noises but at a cost to outright depth"???? That's sounds more than a bit confusing.

I'd like those basic settings if you'd be so kind. PM or here.

Wedgetail

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Porter on Fri 20 Feb 2015, 5:10 pm

Wedgetail wrote:JP - What is "B&Z"?

Yer right about that "stupid name" - "Extra Deep mode (stupid name) will cut back on sensitivity to surface noises but at a cost to outright depth"???? That's sounds more than a bit confusing.

B&Z booster for speakers, works extremely well with the GPZ.

Jonathan Porter

Back to top Go down

Post by pilbara snapper on Fri 20 Feb 2015, 6:56 pm

Yep JP I would very much like to hear your basic settings for the new super bipper, I used your advise on setting up the 5000 and was very pleased with the results

Regards snapper

pilbara snapper

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar on Fri 20 Feb 2015, 8:10 pm

Have two of JP's B&Z's, can not fault them.............

"Aging seems to be the only available way to live a long life."

Nightjar

Back to top Go down

Post by driller on Fri 20 Feb 2015, 8:31 pm

I have one as well.............good piece of kit.

driller

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 20 Feb 2015, 8:56 pm

yeah went out again this arvo--bit of drizzle and storm clouds all around and half a dozen fires burning on the horizon..lightning giving us something to watch..

well couldn't get the 7k to shut up on the noisy ground --only when I put it in deep gold it quieten down were by it became reasonable..

we were trying to detect 6 targets that were pinged by the 2300 earlier on in the arvo....
sort of got 2 targets but diddle squat on the rest yet the sdc yelled at us..

the 2300 must be one of the underestimated detectors out there for pinging little stuff...and larger stuff at a bit more depth.

Why anyone would want to sell a sdc is beyond me but shite happens..

once I reset the 7k back to deep only then the machine calmed down but sensitivity to small bits was lost completely but I argue I'm not after little bits....the sdc picks them up like no ones business..

there was no warbling of the machine but the ground noise was hard to beat even manually ground balancing--tried both ---trust me we are in the worst ground u can imagine--gravel over clays over garvel 6' down..even tried the up and down trick trying to shut it up but to no avail,,

one of the boys brought out an ATX and couldn't ping any targets yet they screamed with the sdc...that's the first time I have seen an ATX in action or lack of....geez ----

i'll post a few pics later of some of the tidlers that were pinged..

mind u the temp in the workshop was 44*c and the bush was still in the High to mid 30's--the back of Ktown was on fire tonight --its all happening..

we must be doing something absolutely wrong JP....

till next time..

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Banjo on Fri 20 Feb 2015, 9:05 pm

Thanks for the report Ray, tomorrow is another day Very Happy

Banjo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 20 Feb 2015, 10:19 pm

sorry folks I'm outta here--don't like whats happened.

oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Stingray on Fri 20 Feb 2015, 10:27 pm

That doesn't sound too good… Whatever it is I hope its not too serious.

Regards
Stingray

Stingray

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Porter on Sat 21 Feb 2015, 4:12 am

The SDC has a very narrow bandwidth timing so in salty crabhole like ground it will run reasonably quiet and still ping the little bits..... The GPZ on the other hand runs flat out in all its Gold and Ground modes as well as being different technology so will therefore be more aggressive in its response in salty areas forcing you to use a less aggressive mode such as Extra Deep/Difficult.

The SDC and GPX 5000 represent nigh on 15 years of development whereas the GPZ is the first of its kind akin to the SD 2000 or GP extreme. For Minelab to get the features of the GPZ 7000 to the level of the 5K would take a huge amount more development time and resources.... personally I would rather have it now (it's incredibly good for a first release) and concentrate on those areas where it does perform, with the hope Minelab will include additional features in future models.

JP

Jonathan Porter

Back to top Go down

Post by shorty on Sat 21 Feb 2015, 6:55 am

oneday wrote:sorry folks I'm outta here--don't like whats happened.

oneday
This doesn't sound good, can you enlighten us. wtf
Chris and June
shorty

Back to top Go down

Post by Ttrash on Sat 21 Feb 2015, 7:09 am

Ray ,
Have you tried burying a 1 oz + piece
In the same ground , at depth. .

Ant
Ttrash

Back to top Go down

Post by matelot on Sat 21 Feb 2015, 7:28 am

Wedgetail wrote:JP - What is "B&Z"?

Can someone tell me what happened? wtf

Regards Matelot pirat

matelot

Back to top Go down

Post by NuggieDreamer on Sat 21 Feb 2015, 8:32 am

I seem to understand the basic settings like this...

High Yield/Difficult = Fine Gold (Shallow Detecting / Mineralized Ground)
General/Difficult = Enhance (Deeper Detecting / Mineralized Ground / Salt)
High Yield/Normal = Sens Extra (Shallow Detecting / Less Mineralized Ground)
General/Normal = Sharp/Normal (Deeper Detecting / Less Mineralized Ground)
NuggieDreamer

Back to top Go down

Post by pilbara snapper on Sat 21 Feb 2015, 12:11 pm

I think Ray may have packed up and gone back to town as the fire situation was looking dodgy, my wife is in Karratha working and she told me the fire brigade was very busy on the outskirts of town....hope Ray and the boys are all ok

pilbara snapper

Back to top Go down

Post by BIG GEM on Sat 21 Feb 2015, 4:29 pm

We have the 5000GPX with the EQ Wireless system with Wireless headphones which does have its problems. Is this the same wireless system that is used on the 7000.

Big Gem

BIG GEM

Back to top Go down

Post by K town swinger on Sat 21 Feb 2015, 7:46 pm

Last edited by K town swinger on Sun 22 Feb 2015, 6:40 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : pic)

K town swinger

Back to top Go down

Post by IsmaelJ on Sat 21 Feb 2015, 8:14 pm

oneday wrote:yeah went out again this arvo--bit of drizzle and storm clouds all around and half a dozen fires burning on the horizon..lightning giving us something to watch..

well couldn't get the 7k to shut up on the noisy ground --only when I put it in deep gold it quieten down were by it became reasonable..

we were trying to detect 6 targets that were pinged by the 2300 earlier on in the arvo....
sort of got 2 targets but diddle squat on the rest yet the sdc yelled at us..

the 2300 must be one of the underestimated detectors out there for pinging little stuff...and larger stuff at a bit more depth.

Why anyone would want to sell a sdc is beyond me but shite happens..

once I reset the 7k back to deep only then the machine calmed down but sensitivity to small bits was lost completely but I argue I'm not after little bits....the sdc picks them up like no ones business..

there was no warbling of the machine but the ground noise was hard to beat even manually ground balancing--tried both ---trust me we are in the worst ground u can imagine--gravel over clays over garvel 6' down..even tried the up and down trick trying to shut it up but to no avail,,

one of the boys brought out an ATX and couldn't ping any targets yet they screamed with the sdc...that's the first time I have seen an ATX in action or lack of....geez ----

i'll post a few pics later of some of the tidlers that were pinged..

mind u the temp in the workshop was 44*c and the bush was still in the High to mid 30's--the back of Ktown was on fire tonight --its all happening..

we must be doing something absolutely wrong JP....

till next time..

regards
oneday

This has now got me second thinking my decision to buy the GPZ7000. From all the hype I heard from JP, Steve and dealers when we saw the demo was the machine all but completely ignored the ground. Seems from your post that this is not so. Might be better to stick with the 5000 and just get an SDC. It might be okay for the eastern states guys where they don't have many salt lakes or salt encrusted ground but we have plenty here and I wanted something that was quiet. Ignoring EMI is one thing but instability that you mentioned is totally different....

Also with Jonathan's comment about maybe a later revision would have these features for Salt an outlay of $10700 just to change it again in the near future is asking a lot from the general prospector that doesn't do it full time... Unless it is capable of having a software upgrade at a reasonable price to add the Salt timings...

IsmaelJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Alan WA on Sat 21 Feb 2015, 8:32 pm

Good point Ismael.
Wondered that myself. Maybe that's why the advice of keeping your 5000/4500.
But now that web updates like on the 3030 are available people who get have the 7000's will be able to update them at a lower cost in the future. The '7500' might be a 2000$ (?) Update for 7000 owners and a 14000$ cost for new beeper buyers.
Think they sorted of tried that with the 2100 update to the 2200
Most of what I've seen so far is its great on little bits.

Just paid for mine so getting it sooner than expected. Was down the list so there was a lot of tyre kickers or ml had a lot more available than the forums predicated.

Where's the red..

Alan kwdf

Alan WA

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto on Sun 22 Feb 2015, 11:01 am

gees ktown is burning. hope everyone is ok.

martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum