Do you need a GPZ

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Do you need a GPZ

Post by Flouro on Wed 25 Feb 2015, 11:19 am

Hi All,

Well there you go, I was talking to a guy I knew from Cue met up with him in Bunnings and I mentioned that we had a poor year with the yellow, I mumbled something like 4 1/2 oz's with all the troubles we had last year it was piss poor

So he pipes up that they got over 90 oz's and proceeded to show me some pictures of a 44oz, 22oz and so on

They were invited by their friends to their patch to which they had taken 700+oz's from in the last few years, the plan was to see if anything was lying deep

His choice of weapon was a 25" dia. coil and he would get a very broad signal and leave the girls to dig the hole, he kept swingin

It was noted that a 20" coil wouldn't pick up the signal enough to say dig me, also that the 25" coil would not work on the GPX5000 but purred on the GPX4500

It's a sight to behold 90oz's sittin on a table

Ron

Flouro

Back to top Go down

Re: Do you need a GPZ

Post by aussie18 on Wed 25 Feb 2015, 11:57 am

good luck to them Ron, 90 oz would be a hell of a sight to see for sure. not a bad season and one I'm sure we all dream off.
lift's the spirits knowing that large patches still exist and interesting reading that the 25inch coil would not run smooth on the 5k, sounds like they need a 40 inch drag coil and maybe a mini excavator to dig there shafts.
cheers for sharing
jase

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrawa on Thu 26 Feb 2015, 2:37 am

....also that the 25" coil would not work on the GPX5000 but purred on the GPX4500
You could check with RJ on its S/N...might be in the range that was noted for problems.? Had the same thing with an 18" in 2013.

Back to top Go down

Post by CrazyPete on Thu 26 Feb 2015, 5:00 am

Used to be a similar problem runnin the AI drag coils on a 5k, wouldn't run smooth at all but they ran excellent on a 35/4k/45

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Flouro on Thu 26 Feb 2015, 7:55 am

Hi All,

Another point I forgot to mention was the fact that the signal disappeared at around 6" but they kept digging and the signal came back, this was on the 44oz

Ron

Flouro

Back to top Go down

Post by Inhere on Thu 26 Feb 2015, 8:49 am

Flouro wrote:Hi All,

Another point I forgot to mention was the fact that the signal disappeared at around 6" but they kept digging and the signal came back, this was on the 44oz

Ron
That sounds a bit weird, signal disappearing eg mineral pocket is not that uncommon.
Nice surprise but wonder what made them keep digging?
Inhere

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrawa on Thu 26 Feb 2015, 11:16 pm

This ones no myth...iv come across it quite a few times. And is one of the reasons you hear of folks digging gold from a pre dug hole. Dig a ground noise...nope!..not getting any louder, must be ground noise......fill it in. Man comes along, swings over it and the first thought is...c**ts left their rubbish in the hole!! But since you have been down this road before...there's always that chance they were using a GP or SD.?? Bada bada bing...whataya know!!...its gold.

What keeps you digging is the initial response...to good to have just vanished. Been down this road before and it turned out to be big deep gold.....been down this road before and it turned out to be feken clay dome. Point being, you have been down this road before.

Back to top Go down

Post by IsmaelJ on Sat 28 Feb 2015, 7:57 pm

Narrawa wrote:
....also that the 25" coil would not work on the GPX5000 but purred on the GPX4500
You could check with RJ on its S/N...might be in the range that was noted for problems.? Had the same thing with an 18" in 2013.

Hi Narrawa, who's RJ and where is this info. Would be interested to find out if a batch of 5000 was a little iffy...

IsmaelJ

Back to top Go down

Post by flyrock on Sat 28 Feb 2015, 8:17 pm

Hi Narrawa
I would also be interested in this info? 5k's not performing as expected.
Cheers

flyrock

Back to top Go down

Post by flyrock on Sat 28 Feb 2015, 8:18 pm

Last edited by flyrock on Sat 28 Feb 2015, 8:27 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : double post?)

flyrock

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeboy on Sat 28 Feb 2015, 8:18 pm

RJ Ismael WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN FOR THE LAST 20 YEARS N/F ????
coil /T

BB

bikeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Inhere on Sat 28 Feb 2015, 8:46 pm

IsmaelJ wrote:
Narrawa wrote:

Hi Narrawa, who's RJ and where is this info. Would be interested to find out if a batch of 5000 was a little iffy...
G'day Ismael, Rohan Johnson makes nugget finder coils.
Inhere

Back to top Go down

Post by IsmaelJ on Sat 28 Feb 2015, 9:53 pm

Inhere wrote:
IsmaelJ wrote:
Narrawa wrote:

G'day Ismael, Rohan Johnson makes nugget finder coils.

Thanks, didn't think of him? Was thinking what ML dealer or person associated with them has the initials RJ!!! So he has a range of detectors that won't run the larger coils? I had heard this. I got my 5000 in 2013 and have only used it for around 12 hours and not with big coils. Never could get out over the last year too busy with family and work... I haven't been on any forums for longer than that. Only the GPZ spiked my interest and I was going to buy one but have since changed my mind. Too many opinions so will wait until someone reputable in Oz does a better report. We can't really expect anyone, tester or not, associated with ML to give an unbiased report. The guys in the states were ok but there ground is not really like ours in the West with a lot of good ground gone to salt and even though I like ML a lot I don't want to trust that they will offer a software upgrade instead of the 4500 to 5000 situation. Too much to invest for part timers or those that don't live close to the gold fields. Imagine paying $10700 then 6 months or even a year later they release another one which could have been upgraded software wise or in the case of the 5000 software and a $0.10 resistor, but charge another $10700 or probably from past experience $11700 for a "NEW" model GPZ7500...

I may be wrong but I could be right also. Does anyone know if the CTX3030 has ever had a software upgrade that was downloadable from ML or a software upgrade if sent to them? I know nothing about the VLF/Treasure range of ML Detectors. I know that Garretts did a software upgrade of the Infinium for $100....

I have some friends that have the GPZ and at first hated it but only because of it's weight and having batteries that failed or didn't work from day one, but like it now. Even some big nuggets found but still $10700 is lot to pay on a few scanty reports at the moment.

From what I gather if you do detecting a lot or full time then it will pay for itself reasonably quickly but for part timers might take years unless you have that luck...

BTW, these are just my opinions and not from any real hard evidence so take it just as a comment.

IsmaelJ

Back to top Go down

Post by IsmaelJ on Sat 28 Feb 2015, 9:59 pm

As an after thought has anyone done any tests or tried running it on the salt? I had one mate in Kal said it was worse than any other detector on the salt no matter what he did. Would like to hear from others that may have found a way to run on salt. I think this was a massive oversight by ML not to include a salt timing or maybe the new technology can't be adapted easily to run on Salt?

IsmaelJ

Back to top Go down

Post by norwest gold on Sat 28 Feb 2015, 10:14 pm

I walked on the salt lake yesterday for a couple hrs and was in high yield, servere ground and had to turn sensitivity down to 4 the zed was still noisy as hell personally I think I'll be sticking with the 5000 in salt mode

norwest gold

Back to top Go down

Post by dryblower on Sun 01 Mar 2015, 6:16 am

i think narra is meaning that a batch of NF coils didnt work well on the 5000
Both my 5000s go ok on 20" nfs. , one is a 2012, the other 2014. I also had a 2013 5000 that was ok     ( i havent tried a 25")
Agree that the lack of a salt setting is a worry on the Z. Half the areas i work are high in alkaline salt which are a problem with the 5, so didnt want to hear the Z is noisy also ! Maybe ML will bring out an AI or salt canceling coil if it is possible with the new tech.
cheers,
jim

dryblower

Back to top Go down

Post by IsmaelJ on Sun 01 Mar 2015, 9:40 am

dryblower wrote:i think narra is meaning that a batch of NF coils didnt work well on the 5000
Both my 5000s go ok on 20" nfs. , one is a 2012, the other 2014. I also had a 2013 5000 that was ok     ( i havent tried a 25")
Agree that the lack of a salt setting is a worry on the Z. Half the areas i work are high in alkaline salt which are a problem with the 5, so didnt want to hear the Z is noisy also ! Maybe ML will bring out an AI or salt canceling coil if it is possible with the new tech.
cheers,
jim

Problem with the latter is at what price will the coil be?????

IsmaelJ

Back to top Go down

Reply from RJ

Post by flyrock on Sun 01 Mar 2015, 10:04 am

Reply today from Rohan:
"Hi Phil
The current 25” Mono will function perfectly on your 5000.  There were some issues around 2 – 3 years ago with some faulty shielding and plugs.  Any coils carrying Serial Numbers with the prefix ...NF or CFP are late models.
The main issue with the 5000 and large coils is Atmospheric Interference.   I suggest you operate early in the morning and late in the day when Interference is reduced and also during the cooler months.
The 25” will certainly punch deep but on larger targets however you will sacrifice some small targets, this is the trade off.  
If Patch Hunting is you goal we do have the 30x7 Patch Pro.  The 30x7 will give you more ground coverage, less weight and small coil sensitivity.  The trade off will be depth on large targets.
Hope this helps
Regards
Rohan"

Hope this helps - cheers

flyrock

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: