Arkpak problem

Go down

Arkpak problem

Post by homer08 on Thu 07 May 2015, 9:13 am

I have been using an Arkpak battery box last season and again this year.
The 240v socket is only used for recharging my detector batteries.
The problem is that now the 15amp fuse keeps blowing and it looks like damage to the invertor.
On the Arkpak home page this problem is usuall caused by overloading the outlet, which i dont think has happened here.
I have been to the local BCF who are ringing them today to see their response.
Either way the box will have to be sent away for them to access who is at fault.
My issue is this could take weeks and stop my getting away as i also use it for my engel and evacool.
To my way of thinking, the amount of units they have at various outlets for sale, surely they could arrange for use of one while warranty is being performed or not.
Ah well thats my bitch for the day.
Homer

homer08

Back to top Go down

Re: Arkpak problem

Post by Bignuggs on Thu 07 May 2015, 9:32 am

Thats not good. I haven't used the 240v outlet on my Arkpak yet and was going to use it to charge batteries also.
It'll be interesting to hear what they have to say about it.
cheers
Cliff

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar on Thu 07 May 2015, 1:07 pm

Why not charge your detector batteries etc direct from 12V, does away with the added expense of an inverter?
Also if you forget to remove them overnight there is less chance of shortening their life as can happen charging with 240V?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

"Aging seems to be the only available way to live a long life."

Nightjar

Back to top Go down

Post by NuggieDreamer on Thu 07 May 2015, 4:24 pm

Click for Specs - ARKPAK Battery Charger Inverter

It only has a little 300W Modified Inverter...
basically, anything that runs over 1 Amp of current on the 240V inverter is going to kill it eventually, especially when the fridge thermostats start calling for compressors to restart when calling for cooling causing appliance running current to spike multiple times. Cool
NuggieDreamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs on Thu 07 May 2015, 4:52 pm

Nuggie, seeing you are a sparkie and I'm not, if nothing else was plugged into the battery box, would the 240v inverter cope with just charging the batteries.
I'm relying on your expertise and knowledge. I've got 2 battery boxes so one can be used just to run the fridge with solar panel assist while the other with the inverter would be used to charge detector batteries.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NuggieDreamer on Thu 07 May 2015, 5:13 pm

Bignuggs wrote:Nuggie, seeing you are a sparkie and I'm not, if nothing else was plugged into the battery box, would the 240v inverter cope with just charging the batteries.
I'm relying on your expertise and knowledge.  I've got 2 battery boxes so one can be used just to run the fridge with solar panel assist while the other with the inverter would be used to charge detector batteries.  

Cliff - My suggestion is to never run a fridge off a small 240v 300w inverter and to use the 12v DC supply for fridges (as most car fridges use less power in that configuration and drain the battery slower.

For charging detector batteries, phones, radios or running laptop power supplies 240vac inverter, no problem.
NuggieDreamer

Back to top Go down

Post by homer08 on Thu 07 May 2015, 9:17 pm

Thanks for your input ND,not much on electrics myself. I can see what your saying about compressors kicking in as the evacool seems to be always at it. I need to change a couple of things around obviously.
The box is out of warranty as i thought it was for 2 years but only one, on the plus side they will supply me with another convertor.

homer08

Back to top Go down

Post by NuggieDreamer on Thu 07 May 2015, 9:52 pm

homer08 wrote:Thanks for your input ND,not much on electrics myself. I can see what your saying about compressors kicking in as the evacool seems to be always at it. I need to change a couple of things around obviously.
The box is out of warranty as i thought it was for 2 years but only one, on the plus side they will supply me with another convertor.

That's great, just tell em you only ever had your phone charger plugged in. lol!
NuggieDreamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar on Fri 08 May 2015, 7:15 am

If you are ever driving near EngelWorld on the Gt Eastern Hwy drop in an have a talk with Uncle Graham.
After a discussion with him and the sight of the dead components from Engel fridges you will never run yours on 240V again.
***This applies to 240V supplies other than the grid.***
If you run your Engel directly from a generator, even inverter generators you are with out doubt heading for failure and up to a $1k+ repair bill.
Grahams question to me was, "What happens when a generator is about to run out of fuel?" As most of us know, the engine hunts which causes spikes in power supply, disastrous for modern electrical equipment.
Get Graham to explain the law suit Honda threatened him with.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

"Aging seems to be the only available way to live a long life."

Nightjar

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs on Fri 08 May 2015, 6:59 pm

A little off topic but maybe interesting.
If you can use the 240v outlet on the Arkpak to charge detector batteries, and that's providing nothing else is plugged into the battery box, how long would it take to charge a 7000 battery using an 100ah AGM battery that is inside the box.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NuggieDreamer on Sun 10 May 2015, 8:12 am

Bignuggs wrote:A little off topic but maybe interesting.
If you can use the 240v outlet on the Arkpak to charge detector batteries, and that's providing nothing else is plugged into the battery box, how long would it take to charge a 7000 battery using an 100ah AGM battery that is inside the box.

Cliff - Depends on the charge and condition on each of the batteries. There is a fast charge and trickle charge output from the charger for different periods depending on amount of charge and the rate it is excepted Pg 9. GPZ 7000 Manual.
From new the batteries need to be fully charged before use and from what Ive read, 4 hrs usually on the first charge for the main battery and 2.5 hrs for the WM 12 wireless module.
NuggieDreamer

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum