Air Compressors

Go down

Air Compressors

Post by Bignuggs on Mon 18 May 2015, 6:54 pm

I bought a thumper air compressor a little while ago. It has a pressure gauge attached inline.
when I checked my tyres, the gauge said I had near 50 PSI in each tyre ?????
So I used an old tyre pressure gauge and only got high 20's PSI.
Bought a new and better pressure gauge and get low 30's
Now I don't know how the rest of ya's check ya tyres with these compressors but, I don't trust the gauge on them.
So how are ya's checking ya tyres ??

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Air Compressors

Post by Flying kiwi on Tue 19 May 2015, 7:26 am

give em a kick lol!

sorry mate couldn't help myself, that is a big difference between gauges though Shocked

Flying kiwi

Back to top Go down

Post by purple-dragon on Tue 19 May 2015, 9:52 am

I bought a mean mother from here where I work and yes the compressor is very good but the inline gauge is absolute crap it reads around 10 pound to high-you have to bite the bullet and buy a good quality gauge to keep with the unit and a set of deflators are handy as well-Dragon
purple-dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by old dragon on Tue 19 May 2015, 4:41 pm

Hi Cliff,
I have a ARB compressor and ARB tyre pressure gauge plus a Blue-Point tyre pressure gauge in my truck. I find them to be very accurate, and they both give similar reading when checking with either gauges.
Cheers Max

old dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by NuggieDreamer on Tue 19 May 2015, 4:52 pm

Go to the BP punch in 40... it goes beep, easy. Then you can find which gauge is telling you the truth.

Shouldn't you just inflate to load or grip requirements (noting side wall flex, tire wear and steering feel), who cares if the gauge is wrong, so long as it is consistent.
NuggieDreamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs on Tue 19 May 2015, 5:52 pm

Here's my point. People have there own ideas as to what pressure should be put into AT's.
Unloaded or loaded, do you pump up to What ?
Does it depend on the brand of tyre ?
At the moment with the tyres I've got, with about 35PSI in the front tyres, they always look a bit flat but she steers and runs ok but seems a bit spongy when making a leftie or right at lights if you don't have to reduce speed all that much. If you know what I mean.
I think the Sailuns that are on the vehicle are only 2 ply wall, so would a stiffer side wall tyre be better.
And then I come back to what pressure should be run in tyres.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NuggieDreamer on Tue 19 May 2015, 7:29 pm

[quote="Bignuggs"]
And then I come back to what pressure should be run in tyres.   [/quote

Watch the wear on your new treds... Wearing centre = Over inflated, Wearing on outsides = Under
5psi can be the difference.

Cliff, I've got similar 16's on the Hilux one tonner - Fronts 45psi Rears 40psi (unloaded)
NuggieDreamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Stingray on Tue 19 May 2015, 9:58 pm

Cliff,

As I understand it there's 2 schools of thought about tyre pressure. Soft to roll/fold the tyre around the rock vs hard to go over and keep sidewalls in. I follow the hard school. Unloaded low 40s but loaded and in stony country I run at 50 or even 55. Really just trying to keep the sidewalls in.

I have a pump like yours and the gauge is useless as you say. I use a good dial type pressure gauge and as someone else said main thing is they are all even pressure, and don't forget the spares.

I'm not sure what tyres you have but I have used and swear by Hankooks 10ply 235/85 16 on the 80 series landcruiser. Just upgraded to a 76 series v8 cruiser that has wide 265/? Goodyear Wranglers on it and I'm a bit worried frankly. Going out for 2 weeks leaving on the weekend and wish I had the 10ply Hankooks on it. Fingers crossed and I'll see how they go.

Stingray

Stingray

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum