Tassie the hard way

Go down

Tassie the hard way

Post by shafting on Sat 20 Jun 2015, 4:58 pm

Hey all I had a request to post about some of the areas I've visited in Tasmania on my great hunt for the elusive yellow. I was saying I had just been on a day visit to lefroy in the north of the island , lefroy was a field with fine surface alluvial gold that went deep into the earth found somtimes in metallic looking ore from what I could see on the piles .the field was five miles long but it seems a bigger area. That's had work done at various times, there has been Chinese on the field who quite thoroughly went thru the area and the tailing . Can't say how many big deep shafts where sunk . but it seems the work was extensive the gold is still to be found and it's pretty small stuff it floats on water and is extremely hard to catch it with a water wheel. you can still access these old shafts but only if you had a death wish. verry unstable surrounding wooden supports that look like they are ready to open up in to sink holes. Bad erosion on the edges. Another area of interest was the old tailings area as it was supposed to have relics from the period on view . old sheds pumps shaft etc. I read a report before the area was retreated by a know company that these where not to be touched but I failed to find any trace of them part from old pump pipe with dozer marks across the top,the whole western side. Of the the old tailing dump had that much junk I had to turn my machine off. Eastern side was ok but I only dug bullets and a hot rock I keep hearing reports of nuggets found in lefroy but haven't put in enuff time there yet I did go once before to this field wielding a whites gmt a nice machine ,but on hot ground you have to turn it all down on the gain and Threshold then just hot rock after hot rock it drove me insane . However I would have another one as a backup , but am thinking a goldbug2 as a machine for the kids to play with ,but also a reliable backup. I'm currently armed with a fully modded gp3500 by detectormods.feb this year. So recent mods anyway runs so silky smooth . it's on my never selling list I can tell you, is areas in the lefroy area that could warrant another mine like the failed beaconsfield operation. I did see alot of New tags tied where surface soil samples have been taken for analysis recently a few weeks ago by the look of it . To me it looked like the area had been burn so this task could be done easily , if you could get to some of these remotest areas in the summertime and you had a blower and crusher you could make a nice little earner over here. there is areas over here that do produce nuggets a field of nuggets is only 10 kms from lefroy east back creek area it's called but most of its under private mining leases at least 3 I'd say and they don't really welcome strangers over here poking around the lease areas I was questiond for just sitting in my Ute last week so I think the Cano gear will come out and I'll take my motor bike into the back tracks and try to stay off the lease areas I can't help it if I don't no east from north or west from south .

shafting

shafting

Back to top Go down

Re: Tassie the hard way

Post by martinjsto on Sat 20 Jun 2015, 6:53 pm

thanks shafting for the story, when i was over there we travelled to Cradle Mountain and on to Mt Ben Lomond to see the sites, sure is some beautiful country in Tassy. on the way home from Ben Lomond we took some tracks N/E towards Upper Esk then headed east to Mathinna and on to St Helens but during the run i spied some great looking ground between the mountain and Esk, Ii wasnt into detecting then but looking back im sure i saw quartz and what looked like ironstone outbreaks amongst the thick timber and may be worth a shot.
good luck buddy
Martin

martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by shafting on Tue 23 Jun 2015, 3:54 pm

Thanks for that Martin I will have a look on Google earth and maybe plan a trip out that way, I've had a look around beaconsfields alot, and there is some of the best looking ground heading west from beaconsfield about3 to 5 kms as the crow Flys .it's under national park title now but you would think just looking at the ground and how highly mineralized it's that a small nugget or two maybe waiting to be unearthed but all I can find is hot rocks and really fine gold dust particles coming out of Greenstone and ironstone outcrops , you can see where to old timers have chased it on the western sides of the outcrops extensive works have been carried out in this field . 800 meter long strips have been taken. 12 feet wide and about 3 - 5 feet deep in some areas of the strips down the hill. The ground looks that good in this area .I think national parks planted endangerd species of trees and put little fences around them stating they are endangered species keep out parks Tasmania, Just to keep people out who want to maybe put a mine in the area, as the trees planted , Are at the south side of a hill that has a decent sized hole. done by the old timers you could fit a big haulpack into it. 100 meters west of the highly mineralized area I have heard from another source that there is still enuff gold in the beaconsfield area, another mine could be operated. apparently the size of the deposit is in the Tasmanian minerals deposits book, $$$$ ife spent approx 7 hours detecting slopes and gullies no nuggets yet in this spot but I remain hopeful that I'm in the right area,I am looking for something the oldtimers overlooked or it was to far to the battery over the hills for them to worry about

Shafting

shafting

Back to top Go down

Post by CrazyPete on Tue 23 Jun 2015, 5:00 pm

Great right up on Tassie.
Cheer's "shafting"

Pete

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content