Coil bolts

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Coil bolts

Post by Since1981 on Fri 02 Oct 2015, 6:42 pm

Has anyone had luck sourcing replacement coil bolts that don't thread when tightening up? Two of my coils (one is a UFO, notorious for coming loose) won't tighten enough to use. I have purchased replacement nylon bolts/wingnuts but they all seem to burr a thread too easily when tightening. I am forced to use an original coiltek bolt for all of them which doesn't have that problem - the thread looks a little coarser. As a query - can a metal bolt be used? The bolt doesn't move relative to the coil, like the metal shaft. Cheers.
Since1981

Back to top Go down

Re: Coil bolts

Post by Guest on Fri 02 Oct 2015, 7:01 pm

Cant say I have ever had that problem, when did you last replace the coil washers?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 03 Oct 2015, 7:12 am

Since1981 wrote:Has anyone had luck sourcing replacement coil bolts that don't thread when tightening up? Two of my coils (one is a UFO, notorious for coming loose) won't tighten enough to use. I have purchased replacement nylon bolts/wingnuts but they all seem to burr a thread too easily when tightening. I am forced to use an original coiltek bolt for all of them which doesn't have that problem - the thread looks a little coarser. As a query - can a metal bolt be used? The bolt doesn't move relative to the coil, like the metal shaft. Cheers.

As BigSlick says, its probably the coil washers in the end of the lower shaft that need replacing, sometimes also I have found that some lower shafts like the Otto ones are a tiny bit narrower than the minelab ones, with nugget finder coils you have to over tighten the nylon bolt to get it to grip, I made up some d shaped washers out of the plastic from an old skid plate to fit in between the end of the shaft and the ears on the coil just to add a little width, that seemed to work ok.

Maybe the replacements bolts are a softer plastic instead, the genuine ones being better quality nylon, the reason you don't have a metal bolt is because even though it does not move relative to the coil, the coil will still pick it up and apparently it can de-sensitise the coil, same as the coil seeing the lower shaft or metal objects carried on your body.

au-fever

Back to top Go down

Post by Since1981 on Sat 03 Oct 2015, 9:38 am

Thanks guys. I did replace the shaft washers with no improvement. I'll try making up a couple of spacers/washers and see if that helps. Might even try one of those new carbon shafts. Is it possible to buy genuine coil bolts? They are definitely better than after-market.
Since1981

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum