Sore elbows and some gold

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post by Steady Eddie on Fri 23 Oct 2015, 7:27 am

Hello everybody,
The 2015 season has ended for me, as high temperatures made things a bit uncomfortable. Yesterday I arrived back from the Meeka area via Leinster. The caravan park there is still well priced at $20.- per night with free laundry. It is good to enjoy the amenities of modern life again here in Kalgoorlie; we are creatures of habit, and a bit of old fashioned comfort goes a long way to bathe our sorrows
I visited Nannine for the first time where many made their fortune all those years ago. I found a five 7g bit very quickly, with a few smaller bits to follow, but suffered from the effect of electro- magnetic radiation from the nearby tower, and left for Quinns a little richer. A month or two later, access to Nannine was stopped, and it is now no longer accessible for detectorists. At Quinns I worked mainly new ground and managed to discover two smallish patches, with the odd 2-9g piece in isolation. Although I had a good time, with lots of walking to and fro different areas, I must admit, it has been my worst effort so far. Mind you, this status may still change if the caprock target (described above under 'whispering caprock') turns out to be a retirement piece!.
The main problem I encountered has not changed: the rapid wear of the hipstick ball in the socket. After three or four months of solid work - despite daily lubrication - the ball wears down to a point where it slips through the gap, even when the deteriorating surface is filed clean, and/or rotated through 180*. They should be made from metal (phosphor bronze for instance) when, with regular greasing, they could last for a very long time. But then, no profit would be made!!, therefore a big NO,NO. Otherwise, the 5000 has behaved itself well, and I look forward to unearth the 'whispering caprock' early next season.
Wishing you all well, with good finds to come, Steady Eddie.

Steady Eddie

Back to top Go down

Re: Sore elbows and some gold

Post by Bignuggs on Fri 23 Oct 2015, 4:56 pm

Hi SE,
Hope you do find the big one under ya cap rock but why didn't ya hit it while there ? Why leave it behind ?
Detecting for gold is a mongrel game, nice to see you found some.
Quinns has been flogged to death but gold can still be found there, but ya gotta work for it.
There are area's there where small gold can be found but I ain't never going back there.
There are also area's where I found some small pieces but who wants to spend all day searching for half a gram ??
Best of luck to those going back there.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Steady Eddie on Sat 24 Oct 2015, 6:59 am

Thanks BN,
The caprock target happens to be on a mining lease and I didn't want to get caught out in case it turns out to be a big job. Once disturbed, this spot would also have been visible to everyone else. I'll first ask for the OK, and then, with peace of mind, get started whilst camped nearby.
  You are right, Quinns has seen thousands of visitors, and you really have to work for your half-grammer. Anyhow, we live and learn (I hope).
  Good luck, Steady Eddie

Steady Eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by mulgadansa on Mon 26 Oct 2015, 5:05 pm

Gday Eddie
I too have had the hipstick wearout issue and solved it by carving off the end of an old green screwdriver and using that. I also liquid nailed a small piece of very tough felt into the carrier. Done a season and a half on it now with no issues.
Spent many weeks at quinns in the seventies with a little dozer, the gold was big and plentiful back then. Went out there for a look this year and it looks like a caravan park.
Cheers
Brett

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar on Mon 26 Oct 2015, 5:38 pm

How about using a snooker ball in your hip stick?

"Aging seems to be the only available way to live a long life."

Nightjar

Back to top Go down

Post by Steady Eddie on Tue 27 Oct 2015, 6:14 am

mulgadansa wrote:Gday Eddie
I too have had the hipstick wearout issue and solved it by carving off the end of an old green screwdriver and using that. I also liquid nailed a small piece of very tough felt into the carrier. Done a season and a half on it now with no issues.
Spent many weeks at quinns in the seventies with a little dozer, the gold was big and plentiful back then. Went out there for a look this year and it looks like a caravan park.
Cheers
Brett

Thanks Brett,
It must have been great to scoop the gold during those years. Most of the alluvial would have been resting in the first foot of soil. Now we are just picking up the odd
piece left behind, or, with a bit of luck, a larger, deeper nugget; but not without first labouring through some twenty deep holes with assorted rubbish! Most of the popular patches there, like the nuggety hill, or millionaire's hill, or big patch, have been turned over up to three times.
I'll look at the 'green screwdriver' solution, thanks.
Another idea I have been losing sleep over, is, using a spherical bearing from bearing supplies, with adaptors for the base, as well as rod.
I just hope the manufacturers won't sue me for running down their business!

Happy hunting, Steady Eddie Very Happy

Steady Eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Steady Eddie on Tue 27 Oct 2015, 6:37 am

Nightjar wrote:How about using a snooker ball in your hip stick?

G'd day Peter,
That would, no doubt, create a real balls-up right there where it hurts most!
No, jokes aside, this is an idea worth looking at. The material would definitely last longer than plastic. and the size would spread the load over a large area, ensuring good wear characteristics. Thank you NJ!
Wish you well, Steady Eddie Shocked

Steady Eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by mulgadansa on Tue 27 Oct 2015, 6:41 am

If I ever meet someone who runs a crematorium I,m gonna ask them what happens to the old titanium hip and shoulder joints Razz It,d be an awful waste just to chuck em.
Cheers
Brett

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs on Tue 27 Oct 2015, 7:27 am

mulgadansa wrote:If I ever meet someone who runs a crematorium I,m gonna ask them what happens to the old titanium hip and shoulder joints Razz It,d be an awful waste just to chuck em.
Cheers
Brett

A bit morbid I know but curiosity got the better of me. If google is correct, the melting point of titanium is 1668C but a human body is cremated at a temperature somewhere between 800 & 1000C
All artificial body parts, depending on the type of metal, are then recycled and made into other components.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Steady Eddie on Tue 27 Oct 2015, 6:43 pm

mulgadansa wrote:If I ever meet someone who runs a crematorium I,m gonna ask them what happens to the old titanium hip and shoulder joints Razz It,d be an awful waste just to chuck em.
Cheers
Brett

Please save some titanium for my jaw joints I damaged laughing at your suggestion! Would gold plating not do?; probably too soft.
On another note, I like your secret to live to be 100, and the necessary steps; Excellent!
Cheers, Steady Eddie Very Happy

Steady Eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto on Tue 27 Oct 2015, 9:55 pm

hey steady eddie, were you the fella i met at quinns about a month ago. i was with Jase and the general hercules detecting the hill close to your camp.
we had a good run there getting some deep gold on the pushings.
cheers
Martin

martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Steady Eddie on Wed 28 Oct 2015, 6:41 am

martinjsto wrote:hey steady eddie, were you the fella i met at quinns about a month ago. i was with Jase and the general hercules detecting the hill close to your camp.
we had a good run there getting some deep gold on the pushings.
cheers
Martin

Hi Martin,
I can't quite place you to be honest. The only people I met detecting Nuggety Hill (the hill or ridge near my camper) were a Greek fellow, with his two mates, who was using a 7000 with a homemade suspension system; it was a weird arrangement with a PVC pipe with padding across his shoulder, and a rear cable suspension to his belt. A strange contraption; he had to walk like a statue as otherwise the whole thing would have come crashing down. He did find a 42g solid piece, after just a few hours, and a 10 or more grammer with a few smaller bits the following morning. He/they were camped on the western side of the ridge, below the old workings, and drove 3 Toyotas, sleeping rough. I didn't get his name, but he was very wrapped in his new detector. His mates used earlier models.
  I also met a Scottish fellow on a motor bike who detected the hill with mixed results. As for my results: very poor. I must have dug at least 60 holes there, of which about 10 were deep ones, only netted a few small bits, mainly on the Western slope. That was early in the piece; from there on I concentrated on new ground, as I was getting frustrated with all that garbage.
  But then, I may have met you, before moving South West about 3 km to 2 leases which had just changed status to 'pending'. I am drawing a blank when it comes to you and your mate Jase. Hope to have answered your question.
  Good luck, Eddie Shocked

Steady Eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto on Wed 28 Oct 2015, 10:59 am

yep that was us the general had the weird suspension setup using the 7k, jase had the 7k also and i was using a 5k all camping in our cars on the western side. i remember you coming over when the general found that 42 grammer.
good to meet you mate
Martin

martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar on Wed 28 Oct 2015, 11:11 am

Martin,
Is the General now mayor of Kalgoorlie? Read in the Miner some time back he was running?

"Aging seems to be the only available way to live a long life."

Nightjar

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto on Wed 28 Oct 2015, 1:43 pm

na he did get quite a few votes but not enough to get elected, couldn't blame him for trying but.
cheers

martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Steady Eddie on Wed 28 Oct 2015, 8:41 pm

martinjsto wrote:yep that was us the general had the weird suspension setup using the 7k, jase had the 7k also and i was using a 5k all camping in our cars on the western side. i remember you coming over when the general found that 42 grammer.
good to meet you mate
Martin

At long last we have solved the puzzle. You must have been the tall fellow, I talked to, with the 5k. Good to meet you too Martin. Hope you have many good finds to come.
Eddie

Steady Eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by cruiser1 on Thu 29 Oct 2015, 7:12 am

You must have been standing on a big rock Martin.lol
cruiser1

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto on Thu 29 Oct 2015, 7:41 am

yep must of eh Phil, LOL. maybe i was just standing tall with the company i was keeping and all the big nuggets we were finding   . anyone at the muster would of heard me tell the story, lolol

martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum