overdrive for 70 series

View previous topic View next topic Go down

overdrive for 70 series

Post by Stingray on Thu 26 Nov 2015, 10:45 pm

I have a great 80 series that I've had for 18 years, but have taken the plunge and bought a 76 Series V8. It is my ex work car and I have driven it from new so couldn't pass it up really. I have taken it away 3 times so far and it has been pretty good out bush (so far touch wood), great on the hwy - heaps of overtaking power etc, but geared way too low - needs a sixth gear.

I've come across this aftermarket overdrive which looks pretty good (notwithstanding the price*?!) and wondered if anyone has or knows someone who has put one in. I'd appreciate your feedback/thoughts.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Cheers
Stingray

Stingray

Back to top Go down

Re: overdrive for 70 series

Post by Nightjar on Fri 27 Nov 2015, 3:47 pm

G'day Stingray,
Would changing your diff ratio be another cheaper option?

Cheers

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] 

"Aging seems to be the only available way to live a long life."

Nightjar

Back to top Go down

Post by Stingray on Fri 27 Nov 2015, 9:12 pm

Thanks Nightjar, that's consistent with other feedback I'm getting so will definitely check it out.

Cheers
Stingray

Stingray

Back to top Go down

Post by Stingray on Sun 30 Oct 2016, 8:56 pm

I read in saturdays west that the new 70 series have just been released with taller 2nd and 5th gears. I wonder if it is possible and feasible to put the new cogs in the old gearbox - any thoughts?

Cheers
Stingray

Stingray

Back to top Go down

Post by mada on Sun 30 Oct 2016, 10:13 pm

I had changed the ratio on my old 60 series way back and it made a huge difference. I understand why they have such high ratio gears, but with distances in WA we are much better suited to lower ratios. Much cheaper too

mada

Back to top Go down

Post by hoolahoopa on Sun 30 Oct 2016, 10:33 pm

My mate just did his diff for same reasons you have stated and is much happier.

hoolahoopa

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Gold on Sat 10 Dec 2016, 7:57 pm

Hi if you do want to do th diff ratio changes, do you not need to do both front and rear diff ratios, of is there a central diff ratio you can do ?
I'm not so wavy on the cruisers gearbox layout. Ps I have a new 2008 Cruiser troopy
Cheers
Tony
Tony Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by mada on Sat 10 Dec 2016, 9:34 pm

Not sure about full time full time 4x4 ( I guess you would need to) but if the main drive is only at the rear axles then no, only need change the rear.

mada

Back to top Go down

Post by cruiser1 on Sun 11 Dec 2016, 7:34 am

Hi Tony.I see that you have the V8 troopy and was wondering if you could give me a bit of feed back on how you find it.I have a 94 model with the 4.2 diesel and have been very happy with it but the K`s are starting to get a bit high and was thinking of an upgrade to a newer one with the V8.

Cheers

Phil
cruiser1

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Gold on Sun 11 Dec 2016, 8:34 am

cruiser1 wrote:Hi Tony.I see that you have the V8 troopy and was wondering if you could give me a bit of feed back on how you find it.I have a 94 model with the 4.2 diesel and have been very happy with it but the K`s are starting to get a bit high and was thinking of an upgrade to a newer one with the V8.

Cheers

Phil
Phil,
Mines now 200,000km and still strong.
Any need to do the clutch soon due to work related towing, but other than that it's been absolutely perfect for my outback needs.
I went with the older troopy as I wanted to be able to flip the seats up and have a nice big open space to camp out of and sleep in if the weather is nasty.
Other than the general complaint by everyone that it needs an over drive or sixth gear.

Cheers
Tony
Tony Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by cruiser1 on Sun 11 Dec 2016, 10:38 am

Thanks for the info Tony,just got to decide on what to do now before the next season which is fast approaching.

Cheers

Phil
cruiser1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum