To or Not to......

View previous topic View next topic Go down

To or Not to......

Post by goldseeker58 on Sun 31 Jan 2016, 11:28 am

Hi, does anyone know, I have a two way fridge in the caravan, gas and 240v, question is, is it okay to run fridge on gas while travelling???
I would have thought not, because of fire risk, but then the fridge isn't working... Any views??
goldseeker58

Back to top Go down

Re: To or Not to......

Post by Biggest Kev on Sun 31 Jan 2016, 11:41 am

G'day Paul,
Most fridges in caravans are 3 way and you would run the fridge on 12 volts while travelling, I was told by a Caravan salesman not to run the fridge on gas while travelling but not sure why, I would think because of the risk of fire.

Cheers Kev
Biggest Kev

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs on Sun 31 Jan 2016, 11:43 am

Here's my 2 bobs worth from everything I've read about your question and the answer is, NO as you are right about the risks of fire.
It's just a pity the fridge isn't also 12V then you could run it while travelling.
Personally I don't like the idea of gas fridges, not one bit.
I do have a 3 way fridge in my jayco which is coming out, I don't want it.
It's a dometic brand, not sure of the model but I will be selling it soon.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack-Tar on Sun 31 Jan 2016, 11:45 am

No it is not OK to run the fridge on gas while travelling. For reasons like naked flames in service stations and also the flame would more than likely blow out from wind turbulence whilst travelling.  I run ours on 240 while travelling, the vehicles alternator maintains the batteries as these types of fridges are very heavy on power use.

Craig

Jack-Tar

Back to top Go down

Post by goldseeker58 on Sun 31 Jan 2016, 2:28 pm

That's what I thought too, run on 240, I have a freezer on 240 in my Jackaroo, I will have to run an extension cord from there back to caravan, and have it tucked away so that it doesn't get caught and then dragged.
I have 2 x 120 watt solar panels on the Jackaroo which charge during the day, and if driving at night I can charge by alternator, or if load is too heavy I can charge by alternator by day while travelling.
Thanks for your replies...
Paul
goldseeker58

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack-Tar on Sun 31 Jan 2016, 3:08 pm

Your solar panels won't keep up with the fridge power use.

Jack-Tar

Back to top Go down

Post by goldseeker58 on Sun 31 Jan 2016, 5:16 pm

yeah, that's why the alternator when travelling, once parked up fridge can go on gas. Solar panels just manage to keep the freezer going, and slowly charge the battery, so when I drive I put the alternator to charge
goldseeker58

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar on Sun 31 Jan 2016, 5:59 pm

There is a member on this forum who may comment on this.
His mates ute ended up a charred wreck, he was lucky to escape with his detector and a few singed hairs.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

"Aging seems to be the only available way to live a long life."

Nightjar

Back to top Go down

Post by Ttrash on Mon 01 Feb 2016, 6:10 pm

Totally illegal to run a fridge on gas whilst moving / travelling

We have a 3 way fridge in our van

whilst driving it charges via an andersen plug from the main
car battery
Ttrash

Back to top Go down

Post by Topcat on Fri 19 Feb 2016, 8:09 pm

If your fridge only runs off either gas or 240 volts AC then why don't you invest in a suitable inverter which will handle the fridge load on 240 AC while travelling & then change to gas when camping.
I have a 3-way fridge in my van & run it on 240 volts AC through an inverter while on the road without any problems.
Just make sure the 12 volt DC wiring from your battery to the inverter is at least 6mm to prevent voltage drop which will trip the inverter on low voltage.
Your alternator will need to carry a load of at least 110 amps so as not to overload your other vehicle accessories.

Ted

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Topcat

Back to top Go down

Post by Flouro on Sat 20 Feb 2016, 8:07 am

Hi All,

If someone wired their inverter up to the caravan and livened up the 240v cicuit so that they could use all the 240v power points I assume that the plug on the outside of the van would liven up also, which would meen that the outside plug which is a male plug would be live to touch

So, I'm finkin we should only go from the inverter straight to the fridge and keep it separate from the 240v van supply wiring

Does this sound right,

Ron

Flouro

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar on Sat 20 Feb 2016, 10:36 am

Fraught with danger using your inverter to power caravan.
Know of two instances where an illegal extension cord was made up with two male plugs. One plugged into the inverter another into a power point in the van.
The owner inadvertently connected the van to the grid without disconnecting the inverter.
Lots of smoke and big hole in his wallet. The crazy part about is the same person did this twice?

"Aging seems to be the only available way to live a long life."

Nightjar

Back to top Go down

Post by Topcat on Sun 21 Feb 2016, 7:46 pm

Further to my above post & what Nightjar commented on, with my system the power circuit involving the invertor
is completely separate from the existing 240 volt AC power in my van so it cannot be accidently connected to the
inverter circuit unless as Nightjar stated making an unsafe illegal cable which is senseless & stupid!!!!!!!! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Ted

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Topcat

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum