First WA Gold

View previous topic View next topic Go down

First WA Gold

Post by fredsnugget on Fri 12 Feb 2016, 9:02 am

Decided to brave the heat and head out to Tambourah for a few days and give the 5000 and SDC a run. First gold was found with the SDC ( a $2 coin of all things) and then the 5000 started paying for itself with a small 0.9g nugget at about 8" then a nice 4.6g sunbaker both within about 10m of each other. Spent the next 3 hrs trying to find their mates but none came to light and by then it had hit 47deg so time to call it quits with the only other find being a R.Bell and Co matchbox that is still intact barring a few tiny rust holes in the lid.  Was very happy as its my first gold from WA and the first gold for the new detector on the second trip out. First was out to Marble Bar last week which only amounted to bullets and junk. May need to go back out there when it cools off a bit.

First piece to come to light

The lovely 4.6g sunbaker

Finds for the 2 days less the multitude of bullets shell casings and junk

Gotta make the most of what little shade there was

Nice place to spend the night
fredsnugget

Back to top Go down

Re: First WA Gold

Post by martinjsto on Fri 12 Feb 2016, 9:54 am

thanks for the story and pics fredsnuggets, that is just too hot for me mate, lol. at least you could take a quick dip to wash the dust off. well done on finding your first bit of WA gold. sure looks like a nice place to camp.
cheers
martin

martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by fredsnugget on Fri 12 Feb 2016, 10:35 am

Was a nice spot to sit and have a beer in the arvo(in the river) .Yeah was to hot but itching to give new detector a run while I had a chance. A frozen camel back on was like a personal air con lol
fredsnugget

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar on Fri 12 Feb 2016, 5:06 pm

Hey Fred,
What fridge you got tucked in the back of your travel?
You're on a roll with your first finds.

"Aging seems to be the only available way to live a long life."

Nightjar

Back to top Go down

Post by fredsnugget on Fri 12 Feb 2016, 5:41 pm

Its an evacool 60l on a drop down slide. Keeps the beer icy cold even in the hottest days. Best thing i ever bought
fredsnugget

Back to top Go down

Post by fredsnugget on Fri 12 Feb 2016, 5:44 pm

I'm hoping its the first of many more. Cant believe the difference in colour though from the ones from nsw.
fredsnugget

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneybox on Fri 12 Feb 2016, 6:05 pm

Fred I love the sunbaker. We've found a few but all tiny little things. I had to Google Tambourah. I've never even heard of it but I guess for you it's not too far from home.

Back to top Go down

Post by mark409 on Fri 12 Feb 2016, 7:52 pm

FredsNugget
Nice Wa gold mate .
Should keep names out of finds .
You realize you just told every goldnomad in Australia,
Where to head after they,ve milked the southern goldfields.
mark409

Back to top Go down

Post by fredsnugget on Fri 12 Feb 2016, 8:25 pm

Theres alot of empty ground out there so good luck if someone wants to have a look. You still have to put the coil over it to find it. Im sure theres more than enough empty space to keep em occupied. Now if I'd found the mother load it would have just been " The Pilbara" lol
fredsnugget

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosralt on Fri 12 Feb 2016, 8:41 pm

Nice gold there .. glad to see your getting onto it.
Would have been a warm night out there.No problems with camels or donkeys at night being so close to the water?
Nosralt

Back to top Go down

Post by fredsnugget on Sat 13 Feb 2016, 6:37 am

Hey Nosralt. Yes was a touch warm. Hadn't even considered donkeys or camels. Thought I may have got a few blow ins coming down for a drink but other than the 10 billion flies that then shift change with as many mossies at night the only other sign of life of saw in 2 days was a lonely old big red roo up in the hills. A camel or donkey coming for dinner would have been different, would have felt like I was back in the middle east. Will have to organise a time to catch up
fredsnugget

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum