The new world !!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The new world !!

Post by Young Simmo on Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:43 pm

I am new in here and not looking for a bubble, but I sure am puzzled. I bought my first detector around 1978 and detected all over WA for 20 years until I moved to the coast. That includes 10 years in Cue, 10 months caretaking a big Heap Leach operation at the 6 mile at Sandstone and a million trips from the Metro out to Kookynie, etc, etc, etc. In those 20 years I just walked out the door and did my thing. Now 18 years latter I thought I might give it another go and bought a Fisher Gold Bug pro with 7' elliptical and 5" dia coils. Now after reading all the rubbish about where and when you can go etc, from now on I am looking for old Coins and Jewellery only. I shouldn't need expensive Maps, GPS and Laptops etc, just to find a few old coins.
Where do I stand if a cranky old farmer comes along? Let's face it he only owns the grass on top of the ground for his sheep.
Young Simmo

Back to top Go down

Re: The new world !!

Post by 73Steve on Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:28 pm

As I understand it the rules are the same for treasure as is for gold or minerals. For freehold farmers you must have permission. For leasehold farmers you must at least make all reasonable efforts to inform them of your intent to enter the lease. I find most lease holders to be reasonable people.

I am sure others will chime in with advice as well

Steve

73Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by Young Simmo on Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:31 pm

Actually Steve, I have never detected on farm country but, have put in 1000s of hours on station country which I should have referred to. As far as the Gold slash Treasure thing goes, if the Mines Dept wanted to have words with me, I am a coin hunter.
Young Simmo

Back to top Go down

Post by AussieAU on Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:42 pm

Young Simmo, with your reasoning and attitude is what gets the rest of the detectorist people that do the right thing by the pastoralists and mining companys a bad name.

If your only interested in finding coins then stick to the beaches and parks where the DMP wont bother you

---------------
Wouldn't it be nice!

AussieAU

Back to top Go down

Post by Young Simmo on Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:26 pm

Aussie I spent 20 years walking anywhere I wanted to walk, and picking up anything I wanted to pick up, why should I have to change now?????
Young Simmo

Back to top Go down

Post by 73Steve on Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:41 pm

"Where do I stand if a cranky old farmer comes along?"

It seems you never really wanted an answer to the question Young Simmo as you have already made up your mind how you intended to act anyway.

I wont waste anymore of your time in future

Regards Steve

73Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by Young Simmo on Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:32 pm

OK, so you reckon what was a free and easy enjoyable pastime, and has now been turned into an over policed difficult job of never ending looking over your shoulder is a good thing. I used to go out and if my shadow was on my right it had to be on my left to get back to my car. Now I have to have a Laptop, Tengraph, GPS and do a lot of studying before I leave home. You sure do have a funny idea of what is fun and enjoyable. I suppose it takes all sorts.
Young Simmo

Back to top Go down

Post by AussieAU on Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:15 pm

Young Simmo wrote:OK, so you reckon what was a free and easy enjoyable pastime, and has now been turned into an over policed difficult job of never ending looking over your shoulder is a good thing. I used to go out and if my shadow was on my right it had to be on my left to get back to my car. Now I have to have a Laptop, Tengraph, GPS and do a lot of studying before I leave home. You sure do have a funny idea of what is fun and enjoyable. I suppose it takes all sorts.

Young Simmo, times have changed, no longer do we walk and push a barrow to the gold fields either, which is a good thing. There are also U beaut TV's and smart phones as well, I guess you don't use any of these things.

And if your continually having to look over your shoulder while out detecting then it's because you can't be bothered to do the right thing and get permission or a 40e to be wherever it is you want to be.

You can keep whinging about the way things are now for detecting, or do something else that u may enjoy. lol!

---------------
Wouldn't it be nice!

AussieAU

Back to top Go down

Post by Young Simmo on Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:57 pm

OK I'll spell it out for the slow ones.
40 years ago I could walk down to the beach and go fishing. Today I can still do that.
40 Years ago I used to walk about into the bush and go detecting, today I have to go through all the rubbish and expense before I step out of my car. That might be all right for the snotty nosed kids, but not for us who remember the good life.
Young Simmo

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs on Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Please calm down, no need to get overheated about it.
We know what the rules are today and we follow them.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Young Simmo on Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:22 pm

OK Bignuggs, some people just don't catch on very well, so I will give up.
Good night.
Young Simmo

Back to top Go down

Post by CrazyPete on Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:07 am

Food for Thought Very Happy

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by geof_junk on Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:38 pm

"OK I'll spell it out for the slow ones.40 years ago I could walk down to the beach and go fishing."

OK I'll spell it out 20 years ago I could walk down to the beach and go detecting now they tell me a sanctuary for shell fish and I can't dig the sand. BUT the kids can dig a big hole that Mum and Dad could be buried in. affraid affraid So I can see where you are going

geof_junk

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum