2 dopes with a 7000

Go down

2 dopes with a 7000

Post by willwhittaker on Sat 22 Oct 2016, 1:59 pm

Hi Guys!

A good mate and I have done hours and hours of research of studying on geo maps, tengraph, detectors etc etc

We decided to bite the bullet and buy a 7000 and now we are eagerly awaiting our first trip out towards Kal.

We have cross referenced maps and looked for vacant land and we have chosen a spot and we will work from there, is this the right thing to do or are we looking into it too much? Should we just drive until we like the look of the land or?

Not asking for spots just tips from fellas that have been doing this a while as we are both new to this

Cheers

Will

willwhittaker

Back to top Go down

Re: 2 dopes with a 7000

Post by mada on Sat 22 Oct 2016, 3:23 pm

Will, just for your info.

I have just come back from a preospecting trip. (my first ever) The land I put all my focus on studied everyday was a pending tenement. One week before leaving the pending tenenement was granted (now live). My point is have a back up plan or two. I was forced to go somewhere I knew nothing about.. But I got luckey and found my first ever bits with a hired detector. I would post a pic but cant seem to find a image upload.

Just make sure you have a back up plan>>>>>>>

mada

Back to top Go down

Post by AussieAU on Sat 22 Oct 2016, 3:32 pm

Yes a backup plan is a good idea, also check when the pending tenement was pegged, it usually takes about 7 to 10 months to be granted live status, so if the block you picked has been in pending status for a good while like that then choose another that has only recently been pegged.

Another strategy is to get a 40e which you able to get on almost any Exploration tenement, for the measly cost of $25 for up to 10 graticule blocks (about 3100ha in size) for a period of about 3 months.

---------------
Wouldn't it be nice!

AussieAU

Back to top Go down

Post by willwhittaker on Sat 22 Oct 2016, 3:37 pm

mada wrote:Will, just for your info.

I have just come back from a preospecting trip. (my first ever) The land I put all my focus on studied everyday was a pending tenement. One week before leaving the pending tenenement was granted (now live). My point is have a back up plan or two. I was forced to go somewhere I knew nothing about.. But I got luckey and found my first ever bits with a hired detector. I would post a pic but cant seem to find a image upload.

Just make sure you have a back up plan>>>>>>>

Cheers mate! I have been using tengraph nearly daily and the land where we want to go is neither exploration nor pending, but cheers for that idea of a Plan B

willwhittaker

Back to top Go down

Post by mada on Sat 22 Oct 2016, 6:42 pm

No prob's good to hear ya on to it.

mada

Back to top Go down

Post by Stingray on Sat 22 Oct 2016, 10:42 pm

Hi Will, I don't want to be a wet blanket but you asked for some advice, so here you go …

From the sounds of it you are real keen but I presume you are pretty inexperienced and you are intending to go somewhere that isn't pegged at all. That's exactly what I did the first time I went out. I was about your age and I didn't find anything - but we had a great time!. But that was over 30 years ago and I've learn't a lot since then.

Sometimes you can get lucky on new ground but that is generally after you have got a shed load of experience under your belt. True prospecting is hard. Ground that isn't pegged is often like that for a reason. The advice I would give to you is to go somewhere where there is gold, rather than going to try and find a place that has gold - leave that till after you get a few scores on the board. There's many many more areas that don't have gold than do, so go to the places where you know there's gold, and they are usually pegged n some way or another.

What I mean is go to an area that has produced lots of nuggets, the sorts of places that the old timers found, were dryblown in the old days and might be in Gold and Ghosts for instance. They will be scraped and messed up but that is because there was and is lots of gold there. And that is where you have your best chance of finding some yourself. Often there is a lot of trash around these places. Even better, you'll dig lots of targets and build experience.

I went out a few weeks ago to a place like I just described - totally hammered, right by the highway, etc. I hadn't been there before, but this is one of those famous spots that was really really rich so it was not a case of is there gold there - I knew there was gold there - that's the hard bit sorted. The only thing left for me to do was the easy bit - I just had to find some of it. I did find some gold, every day bar one - I even specked a bright shiny flat bit about 1.5g that wasn't just sun baking - about 90% of it was literally poking out of the ground at 45 degrees. These sorts of places will always have gold - not necessarily a lot, but always some.

And yep have a plan B and C etc.

Whatever you decide to do - good luck! And have a great time, and be careful - it's real easy to stuff up out there - particularly as we get into summer.

Cheers
Stingray

Stingray

Back to top Go down

Post by willwhittaker on Sun 23 Oct 2016, 8:06 am

Stingray wrote:Hi Will, I don't want to be a wet blanket but you asked for some advice, so here you go …

From the sounds of it you are real keen but I presume you are pretty inexperienced and you are intending to go somewhere that isn't pegged at all. That's exactly what I did the first time I went out. I was about your age and I didn't find anything - but we had a great time!. But that was over 30 years ago and I've learn't a lot since then.

Sometimes you can get lucky on new ground but that is generally after you have got a shed load of experience under your belt. True prospecting is hard. Ground that isn't pegged is often like that for a reason.  The advice I would give to you is to go somewhere where there is gold, rather than going to try and find a place that has gold - leave that till after you get a few scores on the board. There's many many more areas that don't have gold than do, so go to the places where you know there's gold, and they are usually pegged n some way or another.

What I mean is go to an area that has produced lots of nuggets, the sorts of places that the old timers found, were dryblown in the old days and might be in Gold and Ghosts for instance. They will be scraped and messed up but that is because there was and is lots of gold there. And that is where you have your best chance of finding some yourself. Often there is a lot of trash around these places. Even better, you'll dig lots of targets and build experience.  

I went out a few weeks ago to a place like I just described - totally hammered, right by the highway, etc. I hadn't been there before, but this is one of those famous spots that was really really rich so it was not a case of is there gold there - I knew there was gold there - that's the hard bit sorted. The only thing left for me to do was the easy bit - I just had to find some of it. I did find some gold, every day bar one - I even specked a bright shiny flat bit about 1.5g that wasn't just sun baking - about 90% of it was literally poking out of the ground at 45 degrees. These sorts of places will always have gold - not necessarily a lot, but always some.

And yep have a plan B and C etc.

Whatever you decide to do - good luck! And have a great time, and be careful - it's real easy to stuff up out there - particularly as we get into summer.

Cheers
Stingray

hi stingray,

thankyou very much for the advice, really appreciate it!

Im just not sure I follow what you mean buy going to land that isn't pegged, I thought you couldn't go on anyones land unless it was pending?

We are going out of menzies close to where gold has been found but is vacant land, is this the right idea?

thanks mate

willwhittaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Stingray on Sun 23 Oct 2016, 3:45 pm

There's basically 3 types of ground:
1, pegged and granted
2, pegged and pending, and
3, vacant unpegged ground.
The ground I am talking about is either 2 (you don't need permission to go there), or 1 when it's an EL and you get a Section 40 permit, or permission if its a ML or PL. Most of the old spots are pegged as either 1 or 2 cos there's gold there! I'm not saying these's no gold elsewhere its just I reckon you have better odds of finding a bit in the old spots.
Good luck!

Stingray

Back to top Go down

Post by willwhittaker on Sun 23 Oct 2016, 4:25 pm

Stingray wrote:There's basically 3 types of ground:
1, pegged and granted
2, pegged and pending, and
3, vacant unpegged ground.
The ground I am talking about is either 2 (you don't need permission to go there), or 1 when it's an EL and you get a Section 40 permit, or permission if its a ML or PL. Most of the old spots are pegged as either 1 or 2 cos there's gold there! I'm not saying these's no gold elsewhere its just I reckon you have better odds of finding a bit in the old spots.  
Good luck!

Copy that, on the same page now!

Cheers mate

willwhittaker

Back to top Go down

Post by willwhittaker on Tue 08 Nov 2016, 12:11 pm

So guys, the mate and I went out and had a blast, no gold was found but we did dig up and old misfire 300wm or something similar, 2 tiny bits of tin and a pellet from a shotgun round..

Next time we are thinking of travelling somewhere a bit closer so we can spend more time hunting!

Would love to work with someone that has a gpz7000 so we can learn a bit more about it, as you can only read so much! And hopefully we arent teaching ourselves any bad habits

willwhittaker

Back to top Go down

Post by mada on Tue 08 Nov 2016, 8:59 pm

Thats good Will ya got the first outing under your belt. Pretty awesome out there hey!

mada

Back to top Go down

Post by willwhittaker on Tue 08 Nov 2016, 10:02 pm

mada wrote:Thats good Will ya got the first outing under your belt. Pretty awesome out there hey!

Yeh mate was good to get it done, we are already sussing out the next trip

willwhittaker

Back to top Go down

Post by mada on Tue 08 Nov 2016, 10:09 pm

nice one kwdf

mada

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down