Planning 1st prospecting trip to North WA

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Planning 1st prospecting trip to North WA

Post by danowner on Wed 02 Nov 2016, 10:28 pm

Right, been a while since I've been on the forum. Been caught up with my pointless job in which I am quitting in a few weeks. Finally realized I'm wasting my time, and can get more money elsewhere. Not important;

I have a Honda CRV, and I am planning on finally going on that 1st prospecting trip that should have happened a while ago. I am kitting up my car with max tools to get out there and find some shining yellow rock. I already have a duel battery setup that I installed myself. Going to connect a contactor between the 2 and be able to run my fridge (Soon to buy), metal detector charger (If necessary) and any other devices I need to use. The contactor will allow me to drain the back spare battery over night, without touching my main battery. That way I can start my car in the morning, and then flick a switch, and they both start getting charged. My 170W 48V solar panel with a solar 12v controller will also boost my charge in my car. It's the perfect setup electronically. But, it's an AWD Honda CRV (2000 year model). So the whole transmission is a bit of a problem. I'm bringing around 80L of extra fuel for my 60L car, and will have 40- 60L of water for around 4 - 5 days between myself and my brother, and plenty of food and snacks etc. I will be planning on going slightly offroad not too far from the roads, just on the way and around mount magnet. I have checked some spots out using mineral data from ASTER, and made sure there are no tenements and it is just public land. All so far looks good. This will be my first trip so I'm not expecting the gold finding to be very large. If at all, but I have my hopes. I want to test this data from ASTER, and if the results are dull, I will look elsewhere for my next trip.

I will be bringing my XT 18000, that I still am so grateful that user on here Fredsnugget kindly donated. I really do apologize but I am only now finally getting to use it for real. I will be charging it up and bringing the different coils that also were so damn kindly donated along. Can't wait to give this baby a shot of finding some beut nuggets.

Forgot to mention but I also plan on getting some CB equipment. I already have a 5W handheld, and plan on getting a second hand 5W main CB radio, as well as a nice big antenna. Does anyone have any recommendation for a car like mine? I'd like connect it without drilling any holes into and panels, if possible.

Anyway, I'm all ears for suggestions/ feedback on my plan/ setup. I slightly doubt the car's performance off-road, although I have taken it to some boggy sand dunes and it handles quite well, got slightly bogged and just reversing fixed the whole thing. I plan on getting out on the road within 1- 2 months. Got to get working to get as much money as possible to make all this possible.

Cheers guys and girls!

danowner

Back to top Go down

Re: Planning 1st prospecting trip to North WA

Post by cruiser1 on Thu 03 Nov 2016, 7:44 am

Hi Dan.You sure are picking the hottest time of the year for prospecting.I suppose night detecting will be the go,so make sure you have a decent head light and batteries.You have not mentioned anything about a gps or personal epirb,as these are really a must have.
I wish you the best of luck and take extra care hydration wise this time of the year.

Cheers

Phil
cruiser1

Back to top Go down

Post by 73Steve on Thu 03 Nov 2016, 8:24 am

Hi Dan, As Phil say's mate a PLB and a GPS are a must have item. Borrow, Buy or Hire. I would hate to see you on the news for anything other than a large find ;-)

Regards Steve

73Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by fredsnugget on Thu 03 Nov 2016, 12:49 pm

Good luck Dan hope you do well and at least enjoy your time out bush. Definitely consider the heat this time of year and emergency comms. Melted the sole off my boots earlier this year out back of marble bar to give you an idea. Early morning and late arvo/evening is the go and try find somewhere shady for the middle of the day, the sun really is a killer. make sure you have more than enough water, you will need it
fredsnugget

Back to top Go down

Post by danowner on Thu 03 Nov 2016, 6:42 pm

Cheers for the feedback guys, yeah will be buying a GPS and epirb, my step dad might even have a epirb. Does anyone know if the new phones are any good for GPS out in the middle of nowhere? I've used my phone out in Toodayay in the hill areas and seemed to get perfect reception. And yeah I didn't consider night and morning prospecting, will definitely get doing that though. Shade should be no problem. Will setup camp and have a nice big sheet off the side of the car to sit under. Is the sand very boggy out near mount magnet? I will be looking around the area leading up to mount magnet.

danowner

Back to top Go down

Post by toad on Thu 03 Nov 2016, 7:28 pm

Tubeless tyre repair kit and 12v compressor if your going offroad.
toad

Back to top Go down

Post by danowner on Thu 03 Nov 2016, 7:52 pm

Yeah compressor and tire repair is also on the list, got my eye on a 12v compressor at the moment. Also, Cruiser1 I see you're in Golden Bay. Is there actually anywhere down south that is prospect-able? Or is all the action up North?/ in-land?

danowner

Back to top Go down

Post by cruiser1 on Fri 04 Nov 2016, 7:34 am

Hi Dan.Yeah,dont get misled with the name G0lden Bay,certainly no gold here on the coast.They do mine for gold at Boddington along the scarpe but no good for metal detecting.They did find very fine gold around Donnybrook in the early days,then you have around Ravensthorpe further south.
You may find some by panning but the big problem you have is a lot of the ground is private property.
Have a good trip over the next couple of months but just remember the country although very beautiful can be very unforgiving especially in the warmer months.Ample water/food,safety gear,reliable car and knowledge of survival and the surrounding country all add up for a safer trip.

Cheers

Phil
cruiser1

Back to top Go down

Post by danowner on Fri 04 Nov 2016, 8:12 am

Yeah no worries cruiser. I knew it didn't have much gold, just wondering if you knew of any spots down south or anything. Im actually in Golden Bay today working on site. And yeah i even contacted the owner of the tenement of doddington and surrounding, definitely a no go. Even the area that isn't under tenement, but is owned by the mine. They said no way for safety reasons. Apparently 5km away from the mine is an explosion hazard haha. Yeah food and water will be no problem, surviving too. Just that GPS question. Not sure if my phone's gps will work out there? Anyone tried it out in woop woop?

danowner

Back to top Go down

Post by cruiser1 on Fri 04 Nov 2016, 8:42 am

Hi Dan.I would be investing in a dedicated gps.They are quite cheap really for what they are.I personally use a garmin etrex which I have had for a number of years now with no problems.Its very basic and user friendly.You can pick them up for around $130.There are others which people use with more functions but it all comes down to personal choice at the end of the day.Just remember to have spare batteries when out wandering around.

Cheers

Phil
cruiser1

Back to top Go down

Post by danowner on Fri 04 Nov 2016, 10:35 am

Yeah no worries, ill be buying one in the next few weeks for sure then

danowner

Back to top Go down

Post by danowner on Sun 13 Nov 2016, 10:15 pm

Quick question if anyone sees this: I am on the lookout for a GPS now, handheld. I've found a Garmin GPS 72H, it's got a non color screen, and I can't find much more review type info about it. Anyone have any idea what it's like? Or perhaps could recommend a specific GPS? Also, is a GPS epirb required with me having an on-board CB radio with antenna on my car? And, I'll be using my phone in my car to get up to Mount magnet, and then past it. Will the GPS in my phone work all the way up there? I've seen a few apps claiming they don't need phone reception at all, and I went up to Toodyay with no reception at all, and GPS was working totally fine. If so, using my phone reception, I'd be able to pinpoint my car, and go detecting within a Km, then just walk back using it. I'll be doing the ol' chain on back trick also just to navigate back just in case. I've got a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, which is basically the top of the line phone, and GPS works magnificently for me locally, and sometimes out in Mandura. Toodyay was great too. Cheers guys!

danowner

Back to top Go down

Post by toad on Mon 14 Nov 2016, 8:41 am

Some phones use triangulation of cell towers to locate themselves, so if you don't have reception, you don't get a reading of where you are. The Galaxy I believe has a GPS chip so it should be okay. I'd prefer a dedicated GPS like the Garmin as you can carry a spare set of AAA batteries in your kit

These Etrex are simple to use and all you really need. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
toad

Back to top Go down

Post by toad on Mon 14 Nov 2016, 9:03 am

These are the easiest of them all. Unfortunately they don't make them anymore. Close to where you live too.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
toad

Back to top Go down

Post by purple-dragon on Mon 14 Nov 2016, 11:31 am

I got blisters -(feet burnt) on my soles -wearing dive booties while fishing for barra at El questro station two years ago-you cant dig or touch that ground in summer it just retains too much heat-god knows how the detectors handle it -I didnt even try on that trip -just ended up sitting in the river drinking like a fish-that place is beautiful-Dragon
purple-dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by 73Steve on Mon 14 Nov 2016, 12:53 pm

toad wrote:These are the easiest of them all.  Unfortunately they don't make them anymore.  Close to where you live too.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

This GPS is the same as the eTrex I spoke about in another thread. It interferes with both the 5K and 7K. I replaced it with the eTrex 10 and the interference stoped.

Cheers Steve

73Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by toad on Mon 14 Nov 2016, 1:10 pm

I've never experienced a problem with mine and my 4500 or 2300, but I don't walk around with it permanently on either. I use it to mark a nugget or position then shut it down.
toad

Back to top Go down

Post by 73Steve on Mon 14 Nov 2016, 1:49 pm

toad wrote:I've never experienced a problem with mine and my 4500 or 2300, but I don't walk around with it permanently on either.  I use it to mark a nugget or position then shut it down.

I never had a problem with it until the 5000 and the 7000. It worked fine on the 2200. But given the detector being used here the info may not be relevant.

73Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by MacRob on Tue 15 Nov 2016, 6:39 am

Also use the eTrex H, it's a ripper and never have had a problem when using the 4500, 5000, or 7000. I do not walk around with it on and have it high on the body, ie top shirt pocket with strap around neck.

MacRob

Back to top Go down

Post by 73Steve on Tue 15 Nov 2016, 9:07 am

MacRob wrote:Also use the eTrex H, it's a ripper and never have had a problem when using the 4500, 5000, or 7000. I do not walk around with it on and have it high on the body, ie top shirt pocket with strap around neck.

Well maybe mine is defective. I'll chuck it out I think.

73Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by toad on Tue 15 Nov 2016, 10:44 am

My UHF radio sometimes interferes with the 4500. Often only as I swing to one side. I found changing the manual tune one or two clicks fixes it.
toad

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneybox on Fri 25 Nov 2016, 11:34 pm

danowner your vehicle should take you just about anywhere in the WA goldfields if you have some bush driving experience. If you don't you might not be safe out there alone in anything. When I was your age I travelled all over Australia to the most remote locations in a very early model Subaru 4WD with just 4-speed manual transmission and no low range. The only thing that let me down, often, was the tyres. These days you can buy a lot better tyres but the street tyres that you very likely have on your Honda won't just need a puncture repair out there. You'll likely lose the sidewall and you don't usually go far on the rim.

Back to top Go down

Post by danowner on Sat 26 Nov 2016, 11:29 am

Yeah I've got 4WD tyres on mine, and 1 size up from stock. Heaps of tread, and I have a small bit of bush driving, no big rocks/ rocks in general, and no stopping in sand haha. I'll also have a 12v compressor by the time I get out there, and a good one at that. Should be 320L p/min and 220 PSI. Should suit me good if I ever need to let them down to get out of any situation. As I said in my other post I'll be filming, I'll get my brother to film if we ever get stuck, and I'll try my best to explain to people out on the forum, newcomers, how to get out of situations if you get stuck etc. I really am looking forward to it, time is counting down now..!

danowner

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs on Sat 26 Nov 2016, 8:46 pm

Don't forget a good puncture repair kit, won't help if you do a sidewall but might get you out of trouble if you poke a hole thru elsewhere.
At this years muster I had a stick the thickness of a pencil lead go thru a sidewall on my jayco.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lousongtao on Tue 06 Dec 2016, 12:03 am

Dan, what's your newest condition? I really like to join you if possible. But I don't have any bush drive experience.

lousongtao

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum