Why not share it?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Why not share it?

Post by Young Simmo on Sun 02 Jul 2017, 10:37 pm

I just posted this on "The Grey Nomads" and thought maybe somebody in here might find it interesting, here goes.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Well you might find something interesting in one of my many adventures. I was a detecting fanatic for about 25 years, (mid seventies to 2000). On one of our trips up to Marbell Bar WA, we were camped in the caravan park. And after a very rainy sloppy night and after the creek outside the parks front gate went down we drove out of town and down the first road south. Maybe 5 Kms south we turned right onto a track along side of a creek. The creek only had a couple of inches of water in the bottom. About 1 or 2 Kms along the creek we noticed a young bloke maybe 20 to 25 on his knees and fidelling on the bank of the creek which was probably about 5 ft deep in total. I stopped and went over for a chat and a look. Because of the heavy rain the night before the creek banks had maybe an 1/8th to 1/4 inch of dirt eroded away. He had a little bottle (A Bex bottle type) and a pair of tweezers and was finding freshly exposed tiny bits of gold like match head and smaller. His Bex bottle was half full (maybe 11/2 to 2 ozs) and I thought a pair of tweezers and a bex bottle, is a bit cheaper than a $6,000 metal Detector.

OK folks, go get your tweezers and go find a creek somewhere after a good nights rain.

Young Simmo

Back to top Go down

Re: Why not share it?

Post by Moneybox on Wed 12 Jul 2017, 7:50 am

Well I've been thinking along those lines. I went with the wife to a little crystal clear creek up in the hills not too far from home about a year ago. This spot shows an abandoned gold mine but once we got there we found nothing. After a wander about with the detectors I went back to the bus and got the pan and sieves and dug a bit gravel from about a foot down in the bend of the creek. I got lots of black sand and a few nice but small zircons. I had no idea what I was doing but it was better than TV.

A couple of months later I met a young bloke at the APLA meeting who spends his time panning and gave me a few valuable tips and it was obvious where I was going wrong. I'm grounded at the moment in Capel for several reasons and with the goldfields so far away I think I need to go back and visit that creek Cool I'm not expecting to make money but learning to use a pan to turn up some colour might be useful.

Back to top Go down

Post by purple-dragon on Wed 12 Jul 2017, 1:12 pm

I used to do a lot of panning in the old days Phil -between Beechworth and Eldorado in North Eastern Victoria back when I lived over there-and yes you really have to study the flow of the creek and use your imagination as to what it looked like a few millennium ago and as Simmo was saying the floods change everything-we had to wear pantyhose in the creeks over there because of the leech problem-and got a few raised eyebrows from the tourists-them were the days-Dragon
purple-dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneybox on Wed 12 Jul 2017, 1:25 pm

This is a quiet little creek that i think would be dry in the summer. I only dug down about a foot instead of getting right down to base rock if its there. Next time I'll take a propper shovel and go deeper.

Back to top Go down

Post by gold n beer on Wed 12 Jul 2017, 4:02 pm

hey dragon
i was born in Wangaratta and lived there till i was a teen, i remember those dam leech's latching on when i was chasing frog's and yabbies as a youngster in the creeks, ahh the good ol days.
i haven't been back there for 20 years and i don't miss the winters, i played junior footy and the game's started just after 12pm, 1 particular game there was a thin sheet of ice all over the grass. it was more fun crunching the ice up with the footy boots then getting a kick. dam cold area but beautiful country at the right time of the year.
sorry guy's off topic, i will stop my reminiscing.
cheers
jase
gold n beer

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar on Wed 12 Jul 2017, 4:04 pm

Found a wash years ago in Balagundi gold country (open cut covers the area present day), the top soil which was only about 50mm covering a granite bedrock.
The wash in one section was about 50 metres long and a metre wide, the top soil completely stripped.
Set too with a dust pan and brush and collected all the material out of the cracks & indentations.
Collected a plastic bucket and put it through a small sluice back at the camp.
The result was I was back there for next two days with my miniature 12V bellows dryblower.
Pretty happy with two days work and an ounce plus of fine gold.

"Aging seems to be the only available way to live a long life."

Nightjar

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneybox on Wed 12 Jul 2017, 7:41 pm

Nightjar wrote:Found a wash years ago in Balagundi gold country (open cut covers the area present day), the top soil which was only about 50mm covering a granite bedrock.
The wash in one section was about 50 metres long and a metre wide, the top soil completely stripped.
Set too with a dust pan and brush and collected all the material out of the cracks & indentations.
Collected a plastic bucket and put it through a small sluice back at the camp.
The result was I was back there for next two days with my miniature 12V bellows dryblower.
Pretty happy with two days work and an ounce plus of fine gold.

Peter would you treat it differently if you found it now?

Back to top Go down

Post by purple-dragon on Thu 13 Jul 2017, 7:42 am

[quote="gold n beer"]hey dragon
i was born in Wangaratta and lived there till i was a teen, i remember those dam leech's latching on when i was chasing frog's and yabbies as a youngster in the creeks, ahh the good ol days.
i haven't been back there for 20 years and i don't miss the winters, i played junior footy and the game's started just after 12pm, 1 particular game there was a thin sheet of ice all over the grass. it was more fun crunching the ice up with the footy boots then getting a kick. dam cold area but beautiful country at the right time of the year.
sorry guy's off topic, i will stop my reminiscing.
cheers
jase
[/Also a ex wang boy Jase- small world-been here for about 30 years-I used to work night shift in wang -used to crack motorcycle seats on my old z900 riding home at 7.00am -frozen solid -and you had to wait till 10.00am to have a shower as the pipes were frozen as well-damn nice country though -love those mountains -get back there once or twice a year to see the family-Dragon
purple-dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar on Thu 13 Jul 2017, 4:05 pm

Yes Phil, I would have pegged the area, it was open ground back then. Sad

"Aging seems to be the only available way to live a long life."

Nightjar

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum