Big cats

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Big cats

Post by shane-o on Tue 29 Aug 2017, 9:27 pm

Has anyone seen or think they have heard a big cat while out in the scrub? The other week we were sitting at camp near the fire watching a movie on the laptop and this thing was growling at us from the bush, it was pretty close and pretty loud so I grabbed my torch and went out for a look. The growling seemed to be getting further away but we could hear no movement, the ground was very rocky so couldn't find tracks next day. As I came back into camp and the growling followed me back. So I asked my mate if he'd heard anything like that before. He said in 15 years prospecting he has never heard that sound. I told him in all my years camping I have never seen an animal come into a camp a night while the fire is going and people sitting up. Anyway my uncles have told me stories about big cats, anyone else seen signs of them?
shane-o

Back to top Go down

Re: Big cats

Post by au-fever on Wed 30 Aug 2017, 4:38 am

Hi Shane-o

What area were you in roughly?, as some years ago now early one morning a couple of mates watched what they described as a lion or cougar run down and catch a kid goat, they went after it and found the dead kid goat stuck up in a bush, I saw the carcass later that day and it appeared to have bite marks on both sides of its body so whatever took it had a very large mouth, the two fellas were still petrified at what they had seen, both were experienced in the bush and both definitely recognised the animal as a cat not a dog.

They also said that they heard screaming and growling in the night as well which freaked them out a bit as well.

au-fever

au-fever

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs on Wed 30 Aug 2017, 5:39 pm

Not sure about a growl like a big cat but I have heard a low sounding growl or grunting noise but I think it may just have been a billy protecting his harem.
mind you, many years ago in the NT, I swear I saw something run across the road in front of me while driving thru the Devils Marbles and I was sober haha

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack-Tar on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 8:27 pm

Last year at quinns I was awoken by what sounded like a large cat (cougar). I couldn't see anything but the next day I found very large cat tracks. I also found that a couple in a caravan had a cat in the van so I thought the scent of that domestic cat may have encouraged the larger cat to come into the camp. The are plenty of caves in the breakaways in that area for large cats to hide out.

Craig

Jack-Tar

Back to top Go down

Post by purple-dragon on Fri 01 Sep 2017, 3:54 pm

Mate and myself saw one in the high country of north east Victoria around thirty years ago about 40km east of buffalo dam in the spur country just on the snow line -it was big about the size of a german shepherd and stood in the middle of the track for a few seconds and even though our driving lights had it fully lit I still can`t say exactly what color it was -but it was dark -and the hair on the back of my neck stands up every time I think about the bloody thing-dragon
purple-dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by au-fever on Sat 02 Sep 2017, 4:48 am

Jack-Tar wrote:Last year at quinns I was awoken by what sounded like a large cat (cougar). I  couldn't see anything but the next day I found very large cat tracks.  I also found that a couple in a caravan had a cat in the van so I thought the scent of that domestic cat may have encouraged the larger cat to come into the camp. The are plenty of caves in the breakaways in that area for large cats to hide out.

Craig

The spot that my mates saw what they thought was a lion or cougar was at Nannine, and Quinns is not that far from there, and at a later time we also some evidence of a cat being there as well but did not hear or see anything, as you say lots of breakaway caves and dense bush in between, cougars can have a range of several hundred klms apparently and are very reclusive so I tend to think that it would be a cougar rather than a lion maybe, either way might pay to keep your wits about you when in either area.

Hunters in the US say that they rarely see cougars until the dogs get them up a tree, they have a very high kill rate and don't like to eat carrion so they are ambush predators and will attack from behind and by surprise, might want to keep that in mind when kneeling down looking for a target or when taking a dump:.....:

au-fever

au-fever

Back to top Go down

Post by hippyty on Sat 02 Sep 2017, 8:35 am

Maybe right au-fever $20000 if you can find one https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cougars_in_Western_Australia

hippyty

Back to top Go down

Post by shane-o on Sat 02 Sep 2017, 1:27 pm

Awesome! Thanks for the feedback guys. I should have got out my camera and recorded the growling, it was pretty loud, sounded big. Wonder if that reward still stands?? I'm going to make it a mission to collect some evidence on these cats either way.
shane-o

Back to top Go down

Post by hippyty on Sat 02 Sep 2017, 9:04 pm

Don't know messing around with these suckers

hippyty

Back to top Go down

Post by hippyty on Sat 02 Sep 2017, 9:07 pm

Missed about too many sherbets

hippyty

Back to top Go down

Post by shane-o on Sat 02 Sep 2017, 9:27 pm

Haha that's a monster. I don't want to shoot it but just want to get a video and a few photos, give it a scratch on the head maybe
shane-o

Back to top Go down

Post by au-fever on Sun 03 Sep 2017, 5:31 am

hippyty wrote:Maybe right au-fever $20000 if you can find one https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cougars_in_Western_Australia

Even if I knew exactly where one was living I would probably not tell anyone even for $20g as someone would more than likely go out and shoot it like the clown in the picture, anyway they are doing no harm to anybody as far as we know, so better just to leave them be, perhaps we could catch and train them to frighten the chit out of tourists affraid,

au-fever

Last edited by au-fever on Mon 04 Sep 2017, 4:34 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

au-fever

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneybox on Thu 07 Sep 2017, 1:37 pm

We were up Murrin Murrin way and heard a purring sound up the valley. I popped my head over the hill and there was this huge orange Cat pushing a pile of dirt on the next ridge lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by kaethe on Sun 10 Sep 2017, 11:01 pm

I saw a big black cat back in 2009 app. 100km south of Kunawariji.
This was definitely not a feral cat.
The back was app 1m long and of slim build.
I was flabbergasted, when I estimated the size of it.
It was hunting and jumping up the dunes going after some prey.

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum