Life just gets Harder and Harder.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Life just gets Harder and Harder.

Post by Young Simmo on Thu 12 Oct 2017, 12:00 pm

OK, so the Mines Depart have not only almost killed off an exciting, entertaining and adventurous hobby like detecting for gold, they have also killed off searching for old coins, jewelry and trinkets. But wait, if you do a university course, can afford to spend many, many dollars on electronic equipment, and GPS etc, and drive a Lamborghini to beat the Mines dept, you may be lucky enough to find a one grammar.
Fortunately I did my detecting from 1979 to 1999 when it was a real world, as you can see in my photo. Sorry I couldn't get the photo to load but the important part should be fairly clear. scratch
I know I have done some Bellyacheing in my short time in here but, this is a fresh dose.

The latest newsletter from, Gold Prospecting e-News

Mines Department Getting Tough on Illegal Prospecting
Table Of Contents

Department Getting Tough on Illegal Prospecting.
Tengraph Web
Changes to Website
Gidday Everyone,
It's been a while since we had a newsletter, sorry.
Why? It's because everything else catches up with you in life, other things come first like Family and other commitments, particularly when you have a family tragedy.
Udo and I have now wound up the seminar program this year and we have also been heavily involved in sampling and proving up an Exploration Tenement that we have in Sandstone, so we have been bush a bit as well.
Then the (Amalgamated Leaseholders and Prospectors Association in WA) APLA Annual General Meeting come up so I had some involvement in that.
APLA made me (Bill) a Life Member at that AGM meeting which was an incredible and humbling experience.
I only include that here in this email because you know we fully support APLA and what is does for the Prospecting Community - be aware that when we talk about APLA that we do have a vested interest in the Organisation. Udo and I strongly support it.
I also had another beautiful granddaughter a few weeks ago.
Never mind, we are back on track now so should be able to get some good content and information moving to you again.
DMP has also changed its name to Department of Mines Industry Regulation and Safety - DMIRS - so we expect there will be a lot of changes to links in the future which will impact on our website.

Return to Table of Contents

Illegal Prospecting Now being Dealt with Harshly by DMIRS Investigation Arm.
Possibly many of you would not be aware that there has been a major change in the way DMIRS are tackling illegal prospectors in the last 12 months.
This was hinted at to me by a DMP employee when I spoke at the Prospectors meeting in Geraldton in March this year.
I was told that there will be no more "Softly Softly" approach to illegal Prospectors.
I was also told that the excuses of "I didn't know I was not allowed here", "there's no lines on the ground that show where the Mining Lease is", or whatever other excuse would no longer cut it.
People would be charged if caught stealing gold (metal detecting illegally on mining tenements) or if sufficient information was provided to the Gold Stealing unit on where people were illegally detecting.
The reason that this stronger approach was given as;
"People have Tengraph, Geomap and access to DMIRS offices to understand the rules and where they are allowed to go on the land so there is no excuse - they will be charged".
This has been borne out by more prosecutions that we have seen reported in WA for illegal prospecting and gold stealing.
Here is a few Links but they are not all that we have heard about this year.
Coolgardie Court Gold Thieves.
Detective Seize Stolen Gold
Attachments
The Good Old Days ZA cd.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(64 Kb) Downloaded 16 times
Young Simmo

Back to top Go down

Re: Life just gets Harder and Harder.

Post by Wedgetail on Thu 12 Oct 2017, 2:07 pm

,,,and your point is what Simmo?

BTW - yer links and yer photo didn't work for me but I know the cases you're talking about. I was in court for one of 'em.

Wedgetail

Back to top Go down

Post by Young Simmo on Thu 12 Oct 2017, 3:22 pm

My point mate is, you used to be able to go out and flirt and have a fair chance of finding a nugget and keeping it. These latest rules of the Mines Depart are saying, if you don't own the piece of ground they will book you and probably lock you up, so you can remove the word amateur from the English language. I'll try again with my photo which is only a few of my finds.
Young Simmo

Back to top Go down

Post by Young Simmo on Thu 12 Oct 2017, 3:23 pm

Ooop's I'm bucking 78 and it is showing as, the photo is my Avatar, Sorry.

Last edited by martinjsto on Thu 12 Oct 2017, 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : uploaded pic)
Young Simmo

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto on Thu 12 Oct 2017, 4:25 pm

uploaded the pic for ya Young Simmo Very Happy

As far as the "new" rules go to me its seems pretty easy to legally get a 40E and swing away with no concerns of getting prosecuted. I can vouch for some big gold patches still being found recently this season so its still out there. i personally got my biggest bit of 54g a few weeks ago in a spot where 40 oz is currently being found and the patches are still going.
personally i prefer to swing legally and get to keep my finds with no fear of prosecution. I agree whole heartedly with ya simmo that things have changed and we also must evolve out ways to keep prospecting alive for the future.

martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Young Simmo on Thu 12 Oct 2017, 9:04 pm

Yeh martinjsto it is a changing world and, if I was a Multi Million dollar Gold Mine owner I would have a different attitude. What gets me is that a big gold mine digging up 1,000s upon 1,000s of ounces each year, wants to stop people like us finding a 1 grammar in a creek 10 Kms away from their pit. If that isn't GREED, could somebody please tell me what it is.
Young Simmo

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs on Thu 12 Oct 2017, 10:46 pm

Simmo, I can understand what you are saying but, we do live in a new world. What you could do in the past can't be done now and we have to live with the rules as they are.
It's getting difficult, but we have to live with what we have or we'll end up like the east and there is a background mob trying to shut us down.
That's why you need to be a member of APLA. They fight for our rights, just like the old timers did over a hundred years ago.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by araratgold on Fri 13 Oct 2017, 6:39 am

Simmo,

The wife and I have just done 2 months in WA and had a ball.  Very Happy

As members of APLA, we approached two companies and got permission to access their leases. Had hundreds of square kilometers near Leonora and Mt Magnet to prospect on, and all we had to supply was a report at the end stating where we had found nuggets and how much time spent working.

Win for us, win for the companies as we were doing some exploration for them, and they claim our time against their lease requirements.

Rick
araratgold

Back to top Go down

Post by peterau on Sat 14 Oct 2017, 7:51 am

Agree with you Young Simmo, and an acceptance of bad rules for our hobby even though a slow death still results in death

peterau

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto on Sat 14 Oct 2017, 8:16 am

I have been fighting another government department for 9 years emails, snail mails, phone calls and personal meetings all to fight bad laws so i do get what you are saying, but i also learned that flouting the law only makes things worse for all. if you want to be a fighter for better laws etc then join the APLA, become an active member and voice your grievance to the correct people/ department and fight on tooth and nail. get the laws changed then swing away. by the way in 9 years of fighting we have changed Australian laws recently allowing desperate people to get the treatments they require but its a long slow slug with limited results obtained in the end. good on ya for sticking up for the old ways but better to direct the good work you do to where it will do the most good. IMO
cheers

martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Young Simmo on Sat 14 Oct 2017, 10:01 pm

araratgold wrote:Simmo,

The wife and I have just done 2 months in WA and had a ball.  Very Happy

As members of APLA, we approached two companies and got permission to access their leases. Had hundreds of square kilometers near Leonora and Mt Magnet to prospect on, and all we had to supply was a report at the end stating where we had found nuggets and how much time spent working.

Win for us, win for the companies as we were doing some exploration for them, and they claim our time against their lease requirements.

Rick

Yes araratgold, In 1998 I went to Cue to start and run a Heap Leach project for Son's Of Gwalia down at Day Dawn. It was a 2 year project which I finished on time and then stayed another 8 years in Cue. The pit on the right hand side of the road is what we dug up. As you can imagine over 10 years I found the odd piece, and believe that what has been found around Cue would probably be less than half of what is still laying around. There was one spot I quickly found a slug, but never got around to going back, from memory it was about 20 to 40 Kms north and I drove in on an old track on the western side of the road. Maybe a couple of Ks in there was the remains of an old Cobb & Co stone building. If you get back over here and head up that way it would certainly be worth a squizzee.
Young Simmo

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum