Looking for advice about a larger coil.

Go down

Looking for advice about a larger coil.

Post by rusty gates on Fri 24 Nov 2017, 4:16 pm

Hi everyone

I'm new to gold prospecting and metal detectors. After my first trip a month ago, where I hired a Minelab GPX5000, I have now bought myself a secondhand GPX5000, which came with an 11" Commander mono, an 11" commander DD and a Nuggetfinder 14" elliptical Advantage coil.

I've just come back from 6 days working my lease and after 2 days with the 11" mono, I switched to the 14" NF (mainly because the insulation on the 11" Commander was perishing).

So far I've found a couple of small nuggets (1.2 and 6.1gm) and I was thinking that once I've worked an area with the current coil, would it be worth investing in a larger coil, maybe an 18 - 20" mono, and going over that ground again, in the hope of finding some deeper gold that wasn't detected with the current coils.

Is that a reasonable approach to take???

Thanks in advance of your answers.

regards
Rusty...

rusty gates

Back to top Go down

Re: Looking for advice about a larger coil.

Post by Bignuggs on Fri 24 Nov 2017, 5:28 pm

A bigger coil can be called a patch finder but I wouldn't use it as your full time coil. You would need to switch back to a smaller coil and do the patch again.
Trial and error is my method with coils. Find which one works best with the detector.

cheers

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rusty gates on Fri 24 Nov 2017, 5:33 pm

Thanks Bignuggs

Would you suggest using the larger coil first, to locate a 'patch' or to find deeper gold, then go over that area again with a smaller coil, to find the smaller/shallower nuggets??

Rusty...

rusty gates

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs on Fri 24 Nov 2017, 5:38 pm

I've watched a 5000 user with a 17x? coil find small gold but to get the rest of it, they switched over to the 8x6 sadie.
that's not to say they wouldn't have found the smaller stuff with the bigger coil but it's a smart thing to do.
as I said, trial and error.
Let us know how you go on your next trip.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Selfy on Fri 24 Nov 2017, 6:32 pm

if you find a patch, use all your coils on it and dont be afraid to try different settings

caterpiller make some good coils lol! lol!

Selfy

Back to top Go down

Post by Flouro on Fri 24 Nov 2017, 8:30 pm

Hi Rusty,

Some people use an 11" coil and never take it off, which makes a lot of sense as they become one with the coil, compared to changing between coils and not mastering any

My goto coil is the 14" camo coil by coiltek, the wifes is the 11" camo both coils wil find what the other cant

The thing is to master whatever it is you use before dragging out something else which you have no idea how to get the most out of

You do not use the same settings for each coil and that's what has to be learned

And no, I havn't seen any yellow coils as yet

Cheers, Ron

Flouro

Back to top Go down

Post by AuWanderer on Fri 24 Nov 2017, 9:11 pm

You have some very capable coils all ready. The 11 Mono is a great coils to pick up the small stuff..I would hold off on the Sadie at this point. Go over it with the 11" the 14" and get yourself a nice 16"-18" preferably the 16" perhaps a N.F. round mono...with theose 3 you pretty much have it all covered..shallow to deep.
AuWanderer

Back to top Go down

Post by rusty gates on Fri 24 Nov 2017, 10:17 pm

Hi Flouro

Thankyou for your comments.

As a newbie, it's easy to get caught up in 'gear envy' and go buy everything that's on the market.

Like you have said, mastering what I have already would be a good first step. Learning how to sit up my detector/coil combo for the various ground conditions can only be achieved through trial and error...something I will do on my next trip to my lease.

regards
Rusty...

rusty gates

Back to top Go down

Post by rusty gates on Fri 24 Nov 2017, 10:19 pm

Hi AuWanderer

I appreciate your comments.

Will a 16" coil give me much more depth than my current 14" elliptical????

Rusty...

rusty gates

Back to top Go down

Post by mada on Sat 25 Nov 2017, 7:34 am

Round coils will generally punch deep than elliptical, again comes back to settings. For most of the time I run a 17x11 which has found me some nice bits even some very small stuff close to the surface. For shallow work run in the fine settings and you should pick up most smaller bits. However I like to run General, Enhance, Tracking, then around the other side Sharp, Boost with a highish target response. Mainly because of the ground I am on, (noisy as hell) I do play around a bit with the setting until I am happy.

I also run a 18 NF round I have not worked out this coil as yet however it did find a .02 at 2 inches which surprised the hell out of me. This coil does run deep as it pick up the magnet at the end of my pick handle at about 600mm above the ground.

Once it finally sank into my head that you MUST keep the machine quite my result for effort  increased by double, but more important so did my confidence.

mada

Back to top Go down

Post by rusty gates on Sat 25 Nov 2017, 8:22 am

Hi Mada

I know I have a lot to learn about my detector, my coils and the various settings that can/need to be adjusted to suit the ground I'm on.
It all takes time and practice to become proficient enough to consistently find gold...assuming we're walking over ground that holds gold.

Rusty...

rusty gates

Back to top Go down

Post by mada on Sat 25 Nov 2017, 10:55 am

Walking over it does help lol!

mada

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum