Tent pegs for hard ground.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tent pegs for hard ground.

Post by rusty gates on Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:09 pm

Hi everyone

On a recent trip up the bush, I found the ground was so hard to drive a tent peg into, that I was bending 1/2" pegs once they got approx. 4 - 5" in the ground. From then on, hitting them only made them vibrate in the ground and make the hole bigger, rather than drive them further in.

Smaller/thinner pegs didn't fair any better....driving them in at a 45' angle helped a bit, though.

A couple of options/suggestions I've had are:

1. 200mm hex head coach bolts driven into the ground with a battery drill

2. Snowy peak forged steel pegs (although they're quite expensive at $12+ each, for the 200mm ones)

Has anyone used any of these options, or have any suggestions on the best pegs or the best way to drive a peg into hard ground?

Thanks in advance of your answers.

regards
Rusty...

rusty gates

Back to top Go down

Re: Tent pegs for hard ground.

Post by mada on Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:53 pm

Have used cut down metal star pickets, buy a couple of lengths and cut down to 10-12" lengths with points. What you need is surface area not depth. A larger surface the hit is also good.

mada

Back to top Go down

Post by mada on Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:54 pm

Ok and some cheapie tennis balls cut and fit over the picket head so you dont tear bark off ya legs

mada

Back to top Go down

Post by rusty gates on Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:58 pm

Thanks mada

The tent on the camper trailer has the D shaped eyelets that you slip the peg through, so a star picket won't work in that instance.

I agree, that for the awning guy ropes, then yes, the short star picket would be ideal...and I have a few of those already.

Rusty...

rusty gates

Back to top Go down

Post by bbrook on Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:54 am

battery hammer drill and a long masonry bit
thanks Brett

bbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Flouro on Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:20 pm

Hi Rusty,

It doesn't get any better than 1/2" round bar for tent pegs, if you have gone in 4-5" and then they start bending you've probably hit solid rock basement

If that's the case you will have to put in two or three pegs at each point and hope it don't rain

If all else fails shift the tent

Ron

Flouro

Back to top Go down

Post by Stingray on Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:59 pm

Hi Rusty, I use 19mm angle about 40cm long sharpened on bottom with a bit of rod welded at the top as an inverted v sitting in the angle iron to take the rope. The top of each about level.

The angle is way better than rod. It is thin 2-3mm and strong and will tend to slide past and/or wedge between rocks. Wide surface area relative to the pull direction.

For each tent pole I carry a small square of ply say 15cm with a hole in centre. Small steel rod say 6mm sharpened and about 20 cm long. Set tarp up then move pole sideways put ply down so hole is where pole was, bash pin so half in ground then lift pole and put back on top. Poles don't move.

Lastly, give the top half pegs, the ply and pins a quick spray with white first, then fluoro red or yellow. Less likely to kick them or leave them behind.

Stingray

Stingray

Back to top Go down

Post by rusty gates on Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:33 pm

Hi Stingray

Thanks for the tip about the angle iron pegs.

The D loops on the corners and along the edge of the camper trailer's tent, are only designed to accept a round tent peg, but your angle iron design would work well for the annexe poles and the awning that comes out on one end of the tent.

Painting the pegs a bright colour is a great idea...bashing your shins or ankles on them usually ends in tears Sad

regards
Rusty...

rusty gates

Back to top Go down

Post by the speciman on Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:52 pm

buy a kanga hammer

cheers the speciman

the speciman

Back to top Go down

Post by peterau on Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:23 am

What bbrook said, battery hammer drill and a long masonry bit, standard equip in my van

peterau

Back to top Go down

Post by hippyty on Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:43 pm

I’d try either 10 or 12mm rebar I’ve used it for concreting in pretty hard ground in the hills round Perth and it’s cheap around $8-$10 bucks for a 6m length I’d cut into 500mm lengths then use a ring spanner to pull them out Di Lena steel in Osborne park will cut them to size for you.

hippyty

Back to top Go down

Post by mr bender on Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:05 pm

what BBrook said hammer drill and bit.

mr bender

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum