Home built Gold Wheel for sale.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Home built Gold Wheel for sale.

Post by Nightjar on Tue 05 Dec 2017, 4:32 pm

This is my home built Gold Wheel that I have no further use for.
12V Wind Screen Motor Drive.
For anyone interested, can supply the finer details.

pic hosting

free image host

free upload image

Drop an ounce slug in my hand or nearest offer and it is yours.

"Aging seems to be the only available way to live a long life."

Nightjar

Back to top Go down

Re: Home built Gold Wheel for sale.

Post by rusty gates on Mon 11 Dec 2017, 6:43 am

Hi Peter

Please excuse my ignorance but what's a gold wheel and what does it do/how does it work, please?

I am a complete newbie when it comes to gold prospecting.

regards
Rusty...

rusty gates

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar on Mon 11 Dec 2017, 7:21 am

Morning Rusty,
Remember we were all "newbies" once and like you we asked questions.
In our younger days before the advent of Minelab detectors most of our time was spent retrieving gold with hand/shovel fed bellows type dryblowers. We were guaranteed to find gold every day. We were only hobbyists enjoying the lifestyle and not out their chasing a lot of money. We found separating the gold from the fines with a pan was a PITA. We experimented and came up with a sluice with a 12V bilge pump to recycle the precious water.
The gold wheel in this post was the next step. It was exciting to see the small gold move up the spiral and drop into the jar behind centre of wheel.
I later added the small scale sluice which collected any mustard gold that spilt over the rim of the gold wheel.
A 2 week trip back in the 90's using a Garrett Ground Hog I detected several nuggets in close proximity in a small creek bed. Months later returned with my dryblower and goldwheel/sluice. Removed the couple of inches of top soil then using an industrial vaccum cleaner (the one which has a 20 litre bucket) vacuumed the creek bed over the next two weeks and fed the dryblower followed by putting it through the gold wheel and retrieved 5+ozs of the yellow. Slow process but not a bad fortnights wages) AU/$800.00/ounce.
Rather than me prattle on have added one of many videos shown on YouTube on how a Gold Wheel works. (We didn't wet our fines from the days dry blowing, before adding it to the gold wheel)
If you have any further questions don't hesitate to ask.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryJQANNHE1M

Nightjar

Back to top Go down

Post by rusty gates on Mon 11 Dec 2017, 8:37 pm

Thanks Peter

The video clip was good to watch....thanks for posting the link here.

So you remove dirt from a possible 'gold bearing area' and spin that dirt with the wheel, so the heavy bits spiral up to the middle, while the lighter stuff gets washed down into the bucket at the bottom.

I suppose one of these can be used 'in the field', as long as you have access to power and water.

There's more to gold prospecting than just swinging a coil.

regards
Rusty...

rusty gates

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar on Tue 12 Dec 2017, 6:56 am

Hi Rusty,
Used about 40 litres of water a week, recirculated with the 12V bilge pump. Was easier back then because most of the windmills were working.
One day when preparing to wash the fines the fines I noticed many hornets and bees were landing on the water. This got me to thinking about how much gold was floating away?
Research led me to waters ability to develop a "skin" is called cohesion. A simpler name is concave meniscus which allows the insects mentioned to walk on water.
More thinking and the next trip a bottle of dishwasher liquid was with me. Added this to the 30+ litres of water in the two tubs when setting up.
Was soon obvious this would benefit gold retrieval because any bee or hornet that tried landing on the water, sank! So when finished for the day I'd cover the tubs with shade cloth.
The up side now was a lot of mustard gold not caught by the wheel ended up trapped in the sluice below. Very Happy
You can never cease learning in this game.

Nightjar

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum