Missing Prospector

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Missing Prospector

Post by au-fever on Wed 10 Jan 2018, 3:09 am

Another prospector has been missing since Monday, not much details given in the news but mentioned the Webb's Patch area out from Cue, haven't heard any more news about it as yet.

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/search-mounted-for-wa-prospector-missing-in-scorching-conditions-20180109-h0fvo9.html

au-prospector

au-fever

Back to top Go down

Re: Missing Prospector

Post by cueite on Wed 10 Jan 2018, 10:59 am

unfortunatly we have had 21 days of over 40plus if only he had checked the weather before he left offered my help but police said no thanks its a police job he might survive as he is young lets hope so

cueite

Back to top Go down

Post by Flouro on Wed 10 Jan 2018, 1:54 pm

Hi John,

My reconning is that if he is lost it would be to the south as it is low lying with everything the same height all the way to the salt lake

If it was nth wst he could see the operational mine at night on the hill side

To the east is hilly lots of gully's and ironstone ridges so plenty to do but easy to get disorientated still should be able to tell which way the sun is setting and be able to find webb patch road which is running nth sth for about 10km

Nth would easy enough to find a hill and see the mine

There is a few mines olde that he could get into trouble with but he would have to have gear for that

If it were me in his situation I would head for the nearest hill and light a fire, what are your thoughts John

Cheers,Ron

Then again those blasted donkeys are pretty randy out there, he would want to watch himself with them

Flouro

Back to top Go down

Post by araratgold on Wed 10 Jan 2018, 2:08 pm

IMHO, people who get themselves lost out there who are not carrying a PLB ( EPIRB ) should foot the bill for their rescue.
My wife and I both carry a GME MT410G, they are only $300 delivered, and are GPS enabled, meaning authorities know within an hour exactly where you are, which will save enormous amounts of resources should you happen to get bushwacked. EPIRB's are mandatory to go to sea with, perhaps it's about time it was mandatory to carry one when you go bush !

However, you should also set up your smart phone with a simple program called HandyGPS ( available from the app store ). The free version lets you save 2 points, the $5 paid version gives you unlimited find / way points. Very simple to use.
With this, you SHOULD NOT get lost in the first place !

Rick
araratgold

Back to top Go down

Post by araratgold on Wed 10 Jan 2018, 3:43 pm

Last edited by araratgold on Wed 10 Jan 2018, 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
araratgold

Back to top Go down

Post by Wedgetail on Wed 10 Jan 2018, 4:54 pm

He's dead and that's sad. It coulda been heart attack, stroke, snake bite anything. But IMO nobody should be out there at this time of year unless they have to be. People that live in places like Cue and up in the Pilbara know the score and only move about in the cool parts of the day and night. They make allowances with hydration, shade, air con etc. It's all second nature to them.

But if it isn't instinctive like it is for them, then the bush can kill ya. It will find any weakness such as heart, lack of water, lost, stroke etc while your chances of "getting away with a mistake" are greatly lessened by the heat. Remember, 44C on the weather report is temperature taken in the shade. Out in the open paddock it's ten degrees hotter than that. That's bloody hot. One mistake and you're gone.

RIP the poor soul.

Wedgetail

Back to top Go down

Post by BIG GEM on Wed 10 Jan 2018, 5:03 pm

So sad to hear. R.I.P., Justin Davies. We hope they make EPIRB mandatory in W.A. Perhaps when applying for Prospecting Licence and 40E, the department makes it mandatory before they are granted. Just a thought. Bob & Joan

BIG GEM

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar on Wed 10 Jan 2018, 5:59 pm

Yes, condolences to his family and friends, another tragedy.
Maybe repeating myself because I have mentioned this before on one of the forums.
If you own a boat it is mandatory in WA to have an EPIRB on board.
You can register ONE EPIRB for both land & sea.
Some sales outlets will tell you need to purchase one for land one for sea. (This is incorrect)
The batteries last 7 years, however you have to re-register every two year, can be done online FREE.

"Aging seems to be the only available way to live a long life."

Nightjar

Back to top Go down

Post by cueite on Wed 10 Jan 2018, 6:25 pm

hi ron what a shame feel sorry for his son whom i met in the community centre night time you would have seen the lights of the mine and to the west pick up the hwy with the truck lights but its no good shutting the door when the horse has gone its hard to say what you would do in the same circumstances but by th same token i wouldnt have been out there havent left home for 21 days and yes i do have a eperb jumpers tomorrow its only 38 sorrowfully john

cueite

Back to top Go down

Post by kingswood on Wed 10 Jan 2018, 7:11 pm

Such a shame. RIP.

kingswood

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum