Missing prospector in Leonora area.

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Missing prospector in Leonora area.

Post by Wedgetail on Mon 05 Mar 2018, 11:39 am

News Alert!!

An APLA member and leaseholder has been missing from his camp for the last 36 hours. The Leonora Police have been out there twice and have now called in the SES. The prospector was last seen by his wife and his mate at about 4.00 pm Sunday night when he walked out of camp carrying a camelback pack, an EPIRB, a GPS and an iPad. He knows the area well, owning leases there for about 4 years and is a good bushman. Lot's of speculation but nothing more in facts.

I was helping the member regarding a Mining Warden's court case due tomorrow in Leonora and that's how I found out he was missing. I called him to ensure he was "right to go" and had all the paperwork I'd sent him for tomorrow's court appearance. The guy is unlikely to be simply lost IMO. He had all the right gear with him so it doesn't look good. We all hope for the best.

Wedgetail

Back to top Go down

Re: Missing prospector in Leonora area.

Post by gold n beer on Tue 06 Mar 2018, 6:33 am

this does not sound good
wishing all concerned for a safe and happy ending to this saga
by all reports a very well liked and respected fella
jase
gold n beer

Back to top Go down

Post by Goldendaze on Tue 06 Mar 2018, 8:19 am

Hi Wedgetail, any update to this story? Nothing in the news which is rather strange. Did your mate turn up at the Warden Court?
Thanks

Goldendaze

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs on Tue 06 Mar 2018, 1:41 pm

It's Steve otherwise known on here as madmav. Geez I hope they find him safe and sound, he's a nice guy and doesn't deserve this to happen to him just when things were starting to look good for his new leases.

https://thewest.com.au/news/wa/search-and-rescue-operation-launched-for-stephen-conway-keilty-in-was-goldfields-region-ng-b88765540z

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wedgetail on Tue 06 Mar 2018, 7:26 pm

All,

The link to the story in The West Australian says all that can be said for now. There's a lot of speculation, theories & guesswork and I've heard most of it because I was involved. Suffice to say that it's now best to let things take the natural course & wait and see. Steve still hasn't been found.

'Nuff said.

W

Wedgetail

Back to top Go down

Post by Flouro on Wed 07 Mar 2018, 8:54 am

Hi All,

Madmav sure picked a good neighbour to work alongside, I can remember years ago this neighbour would run people out of the area quick smart

Last season we called into his lease and the caretaker said you better take off and don't let the owner find you here or else, not the friendliest for someone out bush to come across

Don't know the guy personally just lots of rumours

Ron

Flouro

Back to top Go down

Post by Nanjim on Wed 07 Mar 2018, 11:07 am

Just heard on the radio ol mate has been found ....

Nanjim

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs on Wed 07 Mar 2018, 11:23 am

Excellent news. He's safe and hope he answers his phone when I call.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gold n beer on Wed 07 Mar 2018, 11:43 am

bloody ripper
best new's I've heard in a long time

to all involved in the search what a fantastic result.
massive relief for the family and prospecting community
all the best Steve

geez time for a bit off this kwdf
gold n beer

Back to top Go down

Post by Ttrash on Wed 07 Mar 2018, 1:47 pm

Great news

There is something on it on FB

Found 50 kms from home ....
Ttrash

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneybox on Wed 07 Mar 2018, 3:09 pm

Steve and Lea were the first DWAG people we met when we attended the muster at Niagara. He's a very helpful guy and it's great the hear he's safe.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack-Tar on Thu 08 Mar 2018, 12:51 pm

Fantastic news. I was a little concerned given the safety gear you said he was carrying. All the best mate.

Jack-Tar

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs on Thu 08 Mar 2018, 5:55 pm

Maybe we should all take this as a warning. No matter how much gear you have, hand held GPS, Water, Tablet, 2 way radio or whatever, it doesn't mean you really know how to survive if the proverbial hits the fan. Stuff can happen so, take care when you are walking around in the WA goldfields. Especially if you are on your own.
Cheers

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 09 Mar 2018, 6:00 am

Anyway I am happy to hear that he is safe and well so that's a good outcome, I would be interested to hear his story if anyone who knows him can entice him into telling it, I am not being morbid but it is a good lesson for all of us to learn from, because I can tell you from my own experience that no matter how good you think you are in the bush you must carry water and safety gear because when the chit hits the fan you have only yourself and the gear you are carrying to rely on.

I have tried to relate this to friends and some ignore the advice and continue to take risks, in the real world there are things you cant avoid but what you can do is minimise the chances of becoming a statistic by being prepared in the event something goes wrong, you might carry the gear with you for years like I did but when things go pear shaped you will be glad you did, there is no better teacher than bitter experience.

au-fever

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneybox on Fri 09 Mar 2018, 6:27 am

This time I thought he was done for because he was carrying a PLB and didn't use it. I thought he must have had an accident or sudden medical condition preventing him from being able to trigger the alarm.
Now i think he just knew the general area well enough that he knew that he would find his way out. The problem is that he might have known that he was still ok but nobody else knew so it may have been better to activate the PLB even if he didn't need to.

Back to top Go down

Post by pilbara snapper on Fri 09 Mar 2018, 10:51 am

I have spent a lot of time in the past walking long distances on my own but no longer go more than half a Klm from my car and don't prospect alone
I carry a gps with spare battery's. and a PLB, signal mirror and radio, I would like to know how this.incident came about ????
Not judging this chap but we all could learn a lesson from what happened.
Well done to every one involved in the search

pilbara snapper

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs on Fri 09 Mar 2018, 1:54 pm

I guess when he is ready, Steve might tell us what happened but until then I think he probably just wants a bit of privacy.

And not sure if anyone saw the report yesterday, a chap died in the Pilbara. He wasn't a prospector/detectorist but is shows the dangers of walking around in the stinking heat and not being prepared.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by salt-d on Sat 10 Mar 2018, 8:25 am

pilbara snapper wrote:I have spent a lot of time in the past walking long distances on my own but no longer go more than half a Klm from my car and don't prospect alone
I carry a gps with spare battery's. and a  PLB, signal mirror and radio, I would like to know how this.incident came about ????
Not judging this chap but we all could learn a lesson from what happened.
Well done to every one involved in the search

Add a cigarette lighter to that list, smoke will attract attention if there looking for you.
Good to here this guy found ok.
salt-d

Back to top Go down

Post by pilbara snapper on Sat 10 Mar 2018, 8:58 am

Yes I forgot to mention a lighter, I carry water proof matches also a compass,a snake bandage and a small torch and finally a space blanket......it sounds like a lot but I squeeze it in a small clip on bag on my harness
When I used to prospect alone in heavy scrub I used to drag a chain and go out.in one direction and then would return in sight of my original chain line, this worked well providing no one else had been dragging a chain in the same area !
I never prospect in the summer months unless it's at night and never out of sight of my car, I know some hard core guys that nearly came to grief summer prospecting......just not worth the risk

pilbara snapper

Back to top Go down

Post by Topcat on Sat 10 Mar 2018, 6:47 pm

It can also come down to complacency when prospecting alone as I have found from experience even carrying all the safety gear that you have to be alert at all times & keep a keen eye on your surroundings.

Cheers

Ted

Ted

HAVE WHEELS WILL TRAVEL
Topcat

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs on Sat 10 Mar 2018, 8:54 pm

One of our forum members gave me a reminder about handheld GPS units.  Now I'm not sure if it's the same for all but with the garmin I have, you have to calibrate the compass or it won't work.
Now I'm not sure if you have to do it everytime you use the bloody thing but it might be an idea to check your units.
I wouldn't like to be walking south if I'm supposed to be walking north.
I will add, if you have a watch and it's PM time, the sun is in the west but if you are a bit heat stressed ya just might get a bit confused.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneybox on Sat 10 Mar 2018, 9:04 pm

Most of these electronic compases are lousy devices. They mostly work once you're moving but point anywhere else when stationary. The best option is to make sure the GPS has located your position, waypoint your camp and then turn the GPS off. When you need it you'll still have battery charge then you just have to go to your waypoint. Even then the compass can give you dicky directions so you need to keep an eye on the distance to go and see that it is counting down.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hopperite on Sun 11 Mar 2018, 7:48 am

Hi

This link regarding electronic compass may assist.

http://www.gpsreview.net/electronic-compass/

Regards

Hopperite

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 12 Mar 2018, 4:47 am

Moneybox wrote:Most of these electronic compases are lousy devices. They mostly work once you're moving but point anywhere else when stationary. The best option is to make sure the GPS has located your position, waypoint your camp and then turn the GPS off. When you need it you'll still have battery charge then you just have to go to your waypoint. Even then the compass can give you dicky directions so you need to keep an eye on the distance to go and see that it is counting down.

I agree, one of the things I have seen a couple of people do is to no properly set the waypoint on their gps, and then when they open the gps to find their way back they discover that its not there, so the procedure that I always follow is

1. turn on the Gps and check the battery level, always start each day with fully charged batteries, and always carry spare fully charged batteries as well, I use rechargeable batteries so I have a better idea of their condition as I have had packet batteries that were flat on opening them, even if you use packet batteries open the pack and check the voltage in all of them and your spares.

2. make sure that the gps has located all possible satellites, the more the better as its more accurate, once you have made sure it has locked on to them, then set your location.

3. go to your waypoints list and check that the location you have entered is there, click on "go to" and walk around and see if is set correctly as it will say "arriving at destination" or something similar depending on the gps.

4. once happy that the waypoint has been set then you can turn it off to conserve the batteries if you want to, you don't have to do this but if you are out all day it helps, the only draw back with this is that when you turn the gps back on it will take time for it to relocate the satellites again and wont be ready for immediate use.

au-fever

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar on Mon 12 Mar 2018, 7:34 am

My theory is to take a mental note of any prominent landmark in relation to where the vehicle is.
However most importantly spend a few more $$'s and buy a top quality device.
The Garmin Rino springs to mind immediately. 1/2W radio for communication with your partner, set it to 5W and the range is approx 12 km's. The alternative GPS enables you to track back to start, text messages, find your partner and much more.
We are in the habit of logging our van position when free camping and ensure we update our vehicle position every day before walking away. Updating takes away the confusion of multiple vehicle waypoints. So we simply just have to click "go to a waypoint" and up pops our caravan & vehicle, click on vehicle and you're heading in the right direction.
Came in very handy one day when we were onto a scattered patch, my partner lost here brag jar which apart from her days tally it included her "lucky nugget", first nugget ever found. Didn't like the chances of ever finding a small white pill jar in salt & pepper country. We "back tracked" using her Rino and low & behold we found it. My partner was more elated getting her lucky nugget back than the gold that amounted to more than we paid for the Garmin.
We charge the battery in each unit every evening using the 12V charger. A fully charged battery will last several days with out a recharge when running continuously.

Last edited by Nightjar on Mon 12 Mar 2018, 7:40 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Battery)

"Aging seems to be the only available way to live a long life."
Nightjar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum