New ranger national parks

Go down

New ranger national parks

Post by martinjsto on Sat 26 May 2018, 9:56 am

Ranger national parks

It seems the WA govn have plans to create a network of new national parks throughout WA. The plan is to buy up abandoned pastoral leases and create a national park out of them. 12 million hectare needs to be allocated throughout the pilbara mid west and gascoyne.

I asked them what is happening and how this effects us prospectors. Not looking good from their responce. I have copied it bellow. Hope APLA  are aware. If not they will be soon...

Hi Martin, apologies that your messages went unnoticed. They came through at a time when we received quite a few others. 

It is correct that you cannot prospect in National Parks. I am not certain about Nature Reserves or Conservation Reserves though I can find out. In any case not all the properties will become National Parks as some would be more suited to the other forms of conservation tenure. This is ultimately up to the government to decide.

I might add though that creating Ranger Parks would only be putting 5 million hectares in total (across the Pilbara, Midwest and Gascoyne) into the reserve system. The former pastoral leases in question have very high conservation value, hence why they were purchased with commonwealth funding in the first place, to try to reach the national reserve target of 15% of all vegetation systems represented in reserves. 

WA will need 12 million hectares to even reach that target... so Ranger Parks are merely a small blip and a necessary one to protect some of what precious landscapes and threatened species we have left.

Does that answer your question? Happy to provide further information if needed.

martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: New ranger national parks

Post by travelergold on Sat 26 May 2018, 3:11 pm

Bloo#y hell. Not good news.

travelergold

Back to top Go down

Post by Nanjim on Sat 26 May 2018, 3:29 pm

Not a good look....
We always seem to be loosing area...

Cheers Nanjim
Jim

Nanjim

Back to top Go down

Post by geof_junk on Sat 26 May 2018, 5:38 pm

WA goldfields were the last open detecting areas in Australia. It will not be long before you will not even be able to pick up a sunbaker even with a existing Miner-Right.

geof_junk

Back to top Go down

Post by Trinket on Sun 27 May 2018, 7:34 pm

They've been doing this for years now. The land is bought with federal funding and managed by Parks and Wildlife. They've already aquired 48 Ex pastoral leases in the Gascoyne, Murchison and Goldfields regions. Once these former leases become conservation reserves it is unlawful to prospect or fossick without a mining tenement under the mining act.
Depending on the district funding available in the region, these ex staions can have conservation workers, volunteers and Rangers crawling over them locking gates and putting up signs.
I believe the APLA and other stakeholders have been working on an environmental permit system to allow miners right holders access to these lands.
Trinket

Back to top Go down

Post by Wedgetail on Sun 27 May 2018, 7:56 pm

Settle down boys. APLA is on to this after an APLA member was challenged last month by a ranger in one of the new "Ranger Parks". It was Karrara Park which is the old Warriedar Station. I challenged the DLPH back again and proved that these parks ARE NOT National Parks. We really have to be very careful to use the correct names here. Don't fall for the stunt they pull saying these parks are actual National Parks. THEY ARE NOT!!

There are only two types of parks in which mining is either banned, which is the National Park, or extremely controlled but not entirely banned, which is the "A Class Reserve". Source is the WA Lands Administration Act.

I wrote to the two WA Govt Ministers regarding this issue arguing my point that the Ranger was wrong. One Minister, Paul Papallia has washed his hands of it, "not my job" and the other which is Rita Saffioti hasn't yet replied. It's been while now, but anyone who reads APLA Facebook page knows I've been busy fighting and winning legal battles with some corporate pastoral companies.

Anyway, DMIRS phoned me last week asking if I'd had a response about the Ranger Parks. When I told them I hadn't, they are now going to contact the DLPH and Ritai Saffioti.

Meanwhile, we wait and tell the ranger he's wrong,,,,,and then ring me. Twisted Evil

Wedgetail

Back to top Go down

Post by Trinket on Sun 27 May 2018, 8:23 pm

Found this in a Parks and Wildlife doc, maybe their take on the mining act is different from that of a prospector hence the Rangers Stance.
1. Are prospecting and fossicking allowed on these lands?
Under the Mining Act 1978 and Mining Regulations 1981, there are particular requirements for prospecting and fossicking, relating to the class of land involved. While the proposed conservation reserves remain unallocated Crown land, a Miner's Right holder has a right to access areas not covered by a granted mining tenement under the Mining Act.
Once the former pastoral properties become conservation reserves it would not be lawful to fossick or prospect on these lands without a mining tenement under the Mining Act. Accordingly DPaW, the Department of Mines and Petroleum, the Amalgamated Prospectors and Leaseholders Association, and the Association of Mining and Exploration Companies have begun discussing options to provide for access to some rangelands conservation reserves, once established, under a Mining Act Miner's Right, including development of a simple permit system under the Conservation and Land Management Act 1984 (CALM Act). Such an approach, if adopted, would require amendments to the Mining Act and consequential amendments to the CALM Act.
Trinket

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum